• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is New Moon's Essence of Chicken Top Students' Advert Misleading??

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
came across New Moon's Essence of Chicken advertisment in the print media with the slogan "Simply the Best!" and below that 7 smiling faces of local students - top PSLE student 2008; top O Level student 2008; IB exam perfect scorer 2008; IB perferct scorer 2007; top A level stduent 2007; top O level student 2007; and top PSLE student 2007...then below another slogan - "Celebrate with the Best!"

now my question to New Moon is this...is it saying that ALL these top students drank its New Moon Essence of Chicken product PRIOR to taking the above exams?...if the answer is NO, then what is the point of the advert?...on the otherhand if the answer is YES, can this claim be independently substantiated?

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
came across New Moon's Essence of Chicken advertisment in the print media with the slogan "Simply the Best!" and below that 7 smiling faces of local students - top PSLE student 2008; top O Level student 2008; IB exam perfect scorer 2008; IB perferct scorer 2007; top A level stduent 2007; top O level student 2007; and top PSLE student 2007...then below another slogan - "Celebrate with the Best!"

now my question to New Moon is this...is it saying that ALL these top students drank its New Moon Essence of Chicken product PRIOR to taking the above exams?...if the answer is NO, then what is the point of the advert?...on the otherhand if the answer is YES, can this claim be independently substantiated?

A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Porfirio, you are much ado about nothing. This is called brand-linking in the advertising world, and there is no need to substantiate anything here.

The point of the advert is to link the idea that top students drink New Moon Essence of Chicken, and it's an idea, not a definitive benchmark. The ads does not specifically says that these students took New Moon Essence of Chicken before their exams, thus directly resulting in their top scores.

Unlike the Ribena fiasco, whose advertisements promised x% of Vitamin C, but was discovered to have close to no Vit C at all, this New Moon ad promises nothing.

Under the Fair Advertising guidelines, this is perfectly in accordance with the rules.

Read the advertising copy carefully first, even their "Our Choice" tagline featuring the two young ladies is perfectly fine - unless you want to rob them of a free will to decide that is.

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
aiyah i know this Bro...you are pointing out the obvious...all i am doing is pointing out how lame this type of advertising really is...
A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Porfirio, you are much ado about nothing. This is called brand-linking in the advertising world, and there is no need to substantiate anything here.

The point of the advert is to link the idea that top students drink New Moon Essence of Chicken, and it's an idea, not a definitive benchmark. The ads does not specifically says that these students took New Moon Essence of Chicken before their exams, thus directly resulting in their top scores.

Unlike the Ribena fiasco, whose advertisements promised x% of Vitamin C, but was discovered to have close to no Vit C at all, this New Moon ad promises nothing.

Under the Fair Advertising guidelines, this is perfectly in accordance with the rules.

Read the advertising copy carefully first, even their "Our Choice" tagline featuring the two young ladies is perfectly fine - unless you want to rob them of a free will to decide that is.

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
aiyah i know this Bro...you are pointing out the obvious...all i am doing is pointing out how lame this type of advertising really is...

Woops sorry about that, did not meant to be nasty then. Just that we in the marketing line really do not have it easy some times.

Yeah, it's a total lame duck of an ad, and in Singapore, we are surrounded by those all over. Boring.

Check out this new ad from Intel's "Sponsors of Tomorrow", great stuff!

<object width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jqLPHrCQr2I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></object>

Once again, apologies for the unkind post.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
that's ok Bro...talking about marketing did you read this?:wink::smile:

'Upstanding' spinoffs from Aware saga

'Shut up and sit down!' - a phrase uttered during an outburst at Aware's recent extraordinary general meeting - has crossed over into advertising campaigns for Subaru cars and the Botak Jones chain of food outlets.

Subaru's print advertisement reads: 'Once you are aware, you can't shut up and sit down.' Its radio advertisement has a customer scolding a car dealer for 'not being inclusive'. The latter responds by saying: 'Shut up and sit down.'

The ads are for a promotion offering $5,000 worth of accessories for a car bought. Said Mr Glenn Tan, group chief executive of Subaru agent MotorImage: 'I was discussing with the ad agency what the latest hot news has been, and we agreed it has been swine flu and the Aware saga. We decided the saga would be easier to draw a parallel to our promotions and brand.'

In Botak Jones' case, its radio ad for a wagyu beef burger runs in two parts. The first has a man addressing an audience in a girly voice. He tells them to settle down and that they have 'finally come to an agreement'. The second ad has the same man saying: 'I would like to thank everyone for showing their support. And now that we've put this issue behind us, I would like to move that we go to Botak Jones. Shut up, sit down, and eat your wagyu.'

The food operator's founder Bernie Utchenik said: 'We wanted to be different. We wanted to try and entertain and also get our point across. The line struck me as pretty iconic. It's not a line that's going to go away too soon.'

Other than media advertisements, T-shirts also bear the infamous phrase.

Ms Dionis Chua, 25, founder of www.printeet.com/shop, a website that sells personalised print-on items, agreed to let a friend sell the designs on her website.

'The 'shut up and sit down' is the most popular design to date. We've received orders for at least 100. Many people love the shirts and the spirit they represented,' said Ms Chua.