• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is minimum wage a good idea? American Fed don't think so!

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Minimum wage a good idea?
American Fed don't agree with it. So what about minimum wage singapore?
What you guys think?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101654919

Fed Chair Yellen: Minimum wage hike to have negative impact on jobs

In testimony before a Senate committee on Thursday, Fed Chair Yellen said a minimum wage increase would likely have some negative effects on jobs, though it's not clear how large.

Still, boosting the federal minimum wage, which has remained at $7.25 per hour since mid-2009, would benefit some people, she added.

In recent months, the federal minimum wage has been a hot-button issue. In February, President Barack Obama boosted the minimum pay for federal contractors hired in the future to $10.10 per hour. He's also voiced his support for the federal level for all workers to rise to $10.10 from the current $7.25. Separately, organized protests of fast food workers have lobbied for a jump to $15.
Yellen also addressed concerns regard U.S. fiscal policy.

"Fiscal policy, while it has accomplished a very meaningful reduction in the budget deficit, as you pointed out has served as a drag on spending and aggregate demand in the economy and in a sense this has been part of the headwinds that the Federal Reserve has had to confront in designing our own monetary policy," she said.

Still, the U.S. economy is "looking at a significant reduction on the amount of drag we're expecting to see from fiscal policy," she said.

In the long run, Yellen stressed the importance of sustainability for policy policy and the nation's debt.

Yellen's testimony on Thursday was a repeat of the remarks she delivered before a joint House-Senate panel a day earlier.

She also said she expects faster growth this year than last, but she cautioned that weakness in the housing sector could undermine that forecast if it proves protracted.

She also warned of the possibility of "adverse developments abroad," such as heightened geopolitical tensions or an intensification of financial stress in emerging markets, and said that was a risk the U.S. central bank also needed to watch closely.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All you need to know about the Fed.

[video=youtube;u8VTeuCe8Tg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8VTeuCe8Tg[/video]

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Nobody of sound mind thinks that a minimum wage is the solution to anything.

The minimum wage is invariably part of a political agenda rather than prudent economic policy. It's a vote buyer or to put it more bluntly, a bribe to secure the votes of useless losers who want easy money with minimum effort.

MaxRiley

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nobody of sound mind thinks that a minimum wage is the solution to anything.

The minimum wage is invariably part of a political agenda rather than prudent economic policy. It's a vote buyer or to put it more bluntly, a bribe to secure the votes of useless losers who want easy money with minimum effort.

That's quite a good point you raised. However what about minimum wage could possibly raise the living standards of the poor?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
That's quite a good point you raised. However what about minimum wage could possibly raise the living standards of the poor?

I've lived in enough countries with a minimum wage to see that it doesn't work. All it does is fuel inflation and raise overheads for everyone including those it was designed to help.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've lived in enough countries with a minimum wage to see that it doesn't work. All it does is fuel inflation and raise overheads for everyone including those it was designed to help.

thats what they say(the republicans and the anti communists),the same old cliche arguments over and over again,yet i see australians have a way higher standard of living than most singaporeans.......i dare presume the same for the swiss,norwayians and new zealanders....

high minimum wage does increase the cost of goods but its a good thing i feel as it traps domestic money within the economy,and tourists who visits the country have to spend alot of money.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
thats what they say(the republicans and the anti communists),the same old cliche arguments over and over again,yet i see australians have a way higher standard of living than most singaporeans.......i dare presume the same for the swiss,norwayians and new zealanders....

I live in NZ and I don't see a higher standard of living at all. Perhaps the only difference is the fact that lower income groups can pick up a car for $2500 but that's because NZ has so much more space and not because of the minimum wage.

Many on the minimum wage cannot afford heating in winter and many kids go to school hungry as a result.

You can read about it at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10807860

Chances are the minimum wage will be raised after the elections this year but all it will do is push up the prices of heating, food and clothing simply because the wages of the workers in these industries will go up and cycle repeats itself.