• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is British a race or nationality?

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
FIVE years ago, when my husband and I registered our son at the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA), we faced a peculiar situation. I am a Chinese Singaporean while my husband is British of Afro-Caribbean descent.

My husband was not able to register his race as Afro-Caribbean but as British since the former was not available as a choice in the system. There was not even an 'Others' option.

We were told that when our son reached the age to obtain his identity card, he will be identified as British under his race, much to our dismay.

A month ago, we had to register our daughter. On our way to the ICA, we thought surely things had changed in these five years. I was confident there must be at least an 'Others' option.

Turns out I was wrong. So now both our children are identified under a weird race - British.

At least now, with the new policy that has come into effect this year, we have a choice of Chinese, British or Chinese-British.

Question is - is British a race or nationality?

Gina Kum (Mdm)

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_474674.html

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can declare as British meh? I tot only can declare as caucasian.

Since americans and australians descended from the english, maybe the race should just be anglo-saxon!

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
FIVE years ago, when my husband and I registered our son at the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA), we faced a peculiar situation. I am a Chinese Singaporean while my husband is British of Afro-Caribbean descent.

My husband was not able to register his race as Afro-Caribbean but as British since the former was not available as a choice in the system. There was not even an 'Others' option.

We were told that when our son reached the age to obtain his identity card, he will be identified as British under his race, much to our dismay.

A month ago, we had to register our daughter. On our way to the ICA, we thought surely things had changed in these five years. I was confident there must be at least an 'Others' option.

Turns out I was wrong. So now both our children are identified under a weird race - British.

At least now, with the new policy that has come into effect this year, we have a choice of Chinese, British or Chinese-British.

Question is - is British a race or nationality?

Gina Kum (Mdm)

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_474674.html

How about MONGREL? KNN...