• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Indian FTrash Du Lan Mandarin Too Widely Used in Peesai!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Why new PR finds routine joys tough
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I HAVE been in Singapore for the past 18 months and a permanent resident (PR) since January. I have been trying to integrate into the social fabric but I always feel that somehow I am not welcome and that it would be far more convenient if I was from China.
Eating out is a challenge because foodcourt workers mainly understand Mandarin and cannot verify the ingredients.
The problem is not limited to coffee shops. When I walked into VivoCity's Kopitiam eight months ago, all the signs at the stalls selling Chinese food were in Chinese.
Does that mean that customers who cannot read Chinese are not welcome or they are not expected to eat Chinese food?
At VivoCity's Chinese New Year celebrations, I was captivated by a Chinese cultural performance but would have enjoyed it more if the announcements had not been exclusively in Mandarin. Similarly the announcements at celebrations held in community centres are overwhelmingly in Mandarin.
So how do I start to blend in?
When I was planning to live in Singapore, I understood that while there are four official languages, the language linking the various communities is English. Now that I am here, Mandarin seems to be the de facto language.
As three-quarters of Singaporeans are Chinese, I well understand the predominance of Mandarin. But such a reality also means the authorities should do more to ensure that Singapore continues to maintain its cosmopolitan nature and remains the preferred destination of expatriates planning to uproot from their countries and settle abroad.
Dr Kunwar Bir Singh

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=heading>Latest comments</TD></TR><TR><TD id=messageDisplayRegion width="100%"><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=Post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>MM gave this figures in his speech the day before :-

“By race, the (fertility) rate is 1.91 for Malays, 1.19 for Indians and 1.14 for Chinese.”

So, it’s obvious which colour skin favours our gahmen at the moment, isn’t it?
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: kampongkid at Sat Aug 15 20:59:08 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=AlternatePost cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>If we (Singapore) has to change to let foreigners integrate, whole idea of integration and blending into our culture will be meaningless. A highly educated person would understand the need to learn new technologies, skills or even languages to make continual improvement to oneself and to adjust to new environment. I would suggest the Dr to re-evaluate the reasons for him to take up the PR-ship. Anyone who choose to settle down in a foreign ground will need a certain level of culture adjustment. It is up to each individual how he derives joy from your decision.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: pantothenic at Sat Aug 15 20:14:39 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=Post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Hi Dr Singh
It is still early for you to redo your sums if you think Sg is not your cup of tea. Surely you cannot expect Sg to change all the signs to accommodate you and company. Our govenment knows what they are doing.

For community based shows like Chinese new year shows, Deepavalli Nights, Aneka Raggam etc the DJs will speak in Mandarin, Tamil and Bahasa respectively. Occasionally they will crack some joke and use a few phrases in English.

But for shows like National Day Dinners, they must speak in English and also the other three official languages.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: amikup88 at Sat Aug 15 17:33:05 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=AlternatePost cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Hello Dr Singh good and bad news for you.
First the good news.
There are many Chinese Singaporeans who speak both English and Mandarin
and of these, many will not speak Mandarin even if you point a gun at their heads.

Now the bad news.
They think they speak English but they actually speak Singlish (like me) and you may
not understand Singlish. That's not a problem though. You don't have to learn Singlish.
You just unlearn English.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: chuotuhu at Sat Aug 15 17:01:33 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=Post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Hullo Singh go to Geylang la. Learn to speak chinese to get around. Chee buy you think your lancheow very big ha? Hong kan la.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: HongKan_Road at Sat Aug 15 16:45:35 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
If singaporean speaks singlish, how is it that our singh(SINGLISH) doesnt understand his own dialect. haha thousand apologiseee