• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I salute Captain Sullenberger!!!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
t1wide.plane.pilot.jpg

(CNN) -- Passengers on the US Airways flight that crash-landed into the Hudson River Thursday afternoon praised the actions and courage of the pilot, a safety consultant with 40 years of experience in the aviation industry.

Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, a former Air Force fighter pilot, has been with US Airways since 1980.

Sources tell CNN that Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger was piloting US Airways flight 1549 from New York's LaGuardia airport to Charlotte, North Carolina, when at least one of the plane's engines failed.

Passenger Jeff Kolodjay offered "kudos" to Sullenberger for a landing that minimized damage to the aircraft and its 155 passengers and crew.

"All of a sudden the captain came on and he told us to brace ourselves and probably brace ourselves pretty hard. But he did an amazing job -- kudos to him on that landing," said Kolodjay, who was sitting in seat 22A.

Sullenberger's wife told CNN that she was stunned to hear the news from her husband after it was all over.

"I hadn't been watching the news. I've heard Sully say to people, 'It's rare for an airline pilot to have an incident in their career,' " said Lori Sullenberger of Danville, California.

"When he called me he said, 'There's been an accident.' At first I thought it was something minor, but then he told me the circumstances and my body started shaking and I rushed to get our daughters out of school."

US Airways said all 155 passengers and crew are alive and safely off the plane.

The crash-landing has also earned the former fighter pilot and private safety consultant accolades from state and government officials.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg commended the pilot for not leaving the plane without checking to make sure every passenger had been evacuated.

"It would appear that the pilot did a masterful job of landing the plane in the river and then making sure that everybody got out," Bloomberg said at a press conference Thursday.

"I had a long conversation with the pilot. He walked the plane twice after everybody else was off and tried to verify that there was nobody else on board -- and assures us there was not."

Sullenberger apparently was forced to make an emergency landing after geese were sucked into one or both of the jet's engines. An eyewitness working on the west side of Manhattan said the belly of the plane touched the water first.

An official who heard tape recordings of the radio traffic from Flight 1549 reported the pilot was extraordinarily calm during the event.

"There was no panic, no hysterics," the official said. "It was professional, it was calm, it was methodical. It was everything you hoped it could be."

The pilot and air traffic controller discussed options, including landing at Teterboro airport in New Jersey, the official said. Then there was a "period of time where there was no communications back, and I'm assuming he was concentrating on more important things.".............

My heartiest congratulations to Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger !!! You are The Man Of 2009!!! SIA should sign him up immediately!!! What a man indeed and what a lucky 1549 number! HUAT! HUAT!! HUAT!!! And all 155 lucky survivors!!! You all are good people who deserve a second chance on earth!!!

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have the utmost respect for American pilots!

There was one time United Airlines was about to depart from HK to SFO. But due to the onboard computer failure, the captain insisted the Airlines to pay for new computer and fix it, despite severe delays. Finally the plane took off and arrived safely at its destination.

While SGP pilots took off during bad weather and rain, and finally rammed the SQ006 onto a crane.

One good example of bad piloting

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sTl2xqD_Uus&hl=de&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sTl2xqD_Uus&hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

HongKanSeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can not wait to suck on Ang Moh?

Remember the MI185 of Silk Air? Also flew into the River Musi of Indonesia!

Fucked right? 100% FATAL!

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have the utmost respect for American pilots!

Remember your thread about funny engine noise? :biggrin::biggrin:

I quote myself:

"Which part sounds funny?

Sounds pretty normal.. wait till you encounter a bird strike, engine surge, or engine flameout/shut down (no sound!)... then u will know what is funny (or more like scary)"

Engine noise is the least of your problems :p:wink:

DearestGodlikeWarlord

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can not wait to suck on Ang Moh?

Remember the MI185 of Silk Air? Also flew into the River Musi of Indonesia!

Fucked right? 100% FATAL!

Hmm, in 45 years NO PILOT IN HISTORY has EVER landed a plane in the waters WITH ZERO CASUALTIES.

Sully, a Caucasian pilot, broke this historical era of imperfect maneuvers.

DearestGodlikeWarlord

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember your thread about funny engine noise? :biggrin::biggrin:

I quote myself:

"Which part sounds funny?

Sounds pretty normal.. wait till you encounter a bird strike, engine surge, or engine flameout/shut down (no sound!)... then u will know what is funny (or more like scary)"

Engine noise is the least of your problems :p:wink:

When that happens he would complain about another kind of noise - the crying and screaming noise of scared passengers (especially the women - they are terrible to be with in any bad situation, EXCEPT my brainy girlfriend of course).

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hmm, in 45 years NO PILOT IN HISTORY has EVER landed a plane in the waters WITH ZERO CASUALTIES.

Sully, a Caucasian pilot, broke this historical era of imperfect maneuvers.

Finally, the life vests on these planes have found a place.. a meaning for their REAL purpose! :biggrin: