• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I like this Rahmasaid !!!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
All this talk by Lee Kuan Yew on Singapore Muslims not integrating has left me more than a little reflective, if not somewhat nostalgic.

It was during last year’s Ramadhan that Kelly Teo, a classmate from our Pre-U Class of 1971, made his twice-yearly trip back home from Holland. A bunch of us would gather and celebrate his ‘homecoming’, and thence make a trip somewhere to Indonesia for a round of golf, good food and drink, and strengthen our bonds stretching back to almost exactly 40 years.

Only this time, his trip came during Ramadhan, and our good host Ronald Tan had insisted that we Muslims break fast at his home. I had hesitated, but decided to ask him anyway: Can I also perform my Maghrib prayers in his house? Otherwise, I would have to do it at the nearest mosque, get caught up in other iftar activities there and would not reach his home until several hours later.

“No problem,” he replied. “You’d be blessing our home with your prayers.”

“But I don’t know the direction of the Kaabah,” he added, quite seriously. I laughed, never expecting him to know.

“No problem,” I replied. “I’ll bring a compass.”

And so, this little episode came to a happy ending. I performed my salat and my iftar (breaking the fast) in a non-Muslim home with the owner’s delighted permission,

I can’t remember what we had for dinner (seafood pasta I think) but it was halal. We even had dates from Dubai, courtesy of Abdul Rahman Mohd, another classmate who works there and had also flown in.

Since I performed my Haj in 2003, the gang had stopped asking me if I’d like a scotch just like they were having.

Here is a group of 50-something men and women who have continued to maintain a 40-year relationship forged when we were starry-eyed teens.

It’s a motley group – mainly Chinese, three Malays, three Indians, one Sikh. And the group continues to grow as FaceBook enables us to discover each other.

But we all shed a tear recently over the death of Gurtek Singh, who left us in a motor accident in Amritsar. He was VP for Finance in SATS based in Mumbai and had gone to the holy city on a pilgrimage with his wife and young children. Mercifully, his wife and kids were bruised but not seriously hurt.

We remember well the warm hospitality given by Gurtek and his gracious wife when we visited them for Deepavali.

All of us dropped everything to attend his funeral, the first Sikh funeral most of us had attended.

So, what is this talk of integration that LKY is talking about?

That I could perform salat and iftar in a non-Muslim home; that we could shed a tear for a fallen comrade of another race and religion, are profound living testimonies that no government propaganda could ever match or deny.

Contrary to what LKY thinks, I don’t have to drink beer (or scotch) or partake of non-halal food to be part of the group, to integrate.

In 40 years, we never talked about integration or racial/religious harmony. It came naturally for us. I never had to become ‘less strict in my religious observances’ to be part of the group, because my classmates understood what I needed to do as a Muslim.

In those years, Ang Kok Leong has become more a brother to me than a friend. We used to smuggle food into the coffee house next to the old Hollywood cinema in Tanjong Katong because we couldn’t afford what our richer classmates were consuming. The class differences never prevented us from being part of the group.

I remember well how nervously I walked into the notorious Kampong Eunos to visit Kok Leong during Chinese New Year, and the warm hospitality his father and the rest of the family extended to me.

When Kok Leong’s father passed away, I joined other mourners in the chartered bus that took us to the crematorium. I even remembered the vegetarian lunch that followed.

So, spare me this diatribe of Muslims not integrating. We’ve been doing it since God knows when.

The only people on both sides of the exchange (LKY included) are those with an axe to grind.

Rahmansaid

* The writer blogs at http://www.kampungnet.com.sg/

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately this guy is not the norm but he should be sharing his story more so that other muslims can learn. Then we can start shaming Christians for thinking that their god will smite them to hell for stepping inside a temple or a mosque.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
His bonds with other ethnicities and religions harps back to the good old days.

Muslims were a lot more easy going in those days. One of my best friends was an Arab and a devout muslim. He also loved his dogs. He told me that dogs were great companions and all his religion required was that he not touch their saliva. Such was the nature of Islam pre 1979.

I'd be interested to know whether there are any Sinkie muslims with dogs as pets in this day and age.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'd be interested to know whether there are any Sinkie muslims with dogs as pets in this day and age.

SeeingEyeMuslim.png

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
So is it LKY or the rise of Islam fundamentalism or both? Which is the chicken and which the egg?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
His bonds with other ethnicities and religions harps back to the good old days.

Muslims were a lot more easy going in those days. One of my best friends was an Arab and a devout muslim. He also loved his dogs. He told me that dogs were great companions and all his religion required was that he not touch their saliva. Such was the nature of Islam pre 1979.

What will happen if they touch their saliva? Please enlighten me with your wisdom.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its really up to the individuals.

last week i was having dinner with a Moroccan in Hong Kong, having Moroccan wine and eating Moroccan food.

its all fine and dandy...then he told me he is a Muslim - I am not surprised since Morocco is a Muslim country.

I joked with him - hey but we just drank wine. He shrugged and we laughed.

In my eyes, he is no less a Muslim.

Thats my thoughts.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
What will happen if they touch their saliva? Please enlighten me with your wisdom.

Mohd's wisdom was prudent at the time. Many dogs were rabid in those days and with the limited knowledge available, it was thought that rabies was transmitted simply by coming into contact with the saliva of a rabid dog.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mohd's wisdom was prudent at the time. Many dogs were rabid in those days and with the limited knowledge available, it was thought that rabies was transmitted simply by coming into contact with the saliva of a rabid dog.

Ahhh i see, it is more of a health issue rather than a spiritual issue.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Ahhh i see, it is more of a health issue rather than a spiritual issue.

ANY issue becomes a spiritual issue when it's purportedly uttered by a prophet. :rolleyes: Many of the requirements of Kosher food have their foundations based upon health issues. They were incorporated into the Old Testament and thus became spiritual laws.