• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hundreds caught with illegal plates

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20090626-150974.html

Fri, Jun 26, 2009
my paper

20090626.103631_licence-plates.jpg

Hundreds caught with illegal plates

[top: A 7 series BMW that spotted the Land Transport Authority's (LTA) disapproved Euro car plates at Bencoolen Street. More car owners are using Euro car plates which are considered illegal as their font size and colour do not conform to the LTA's vehicle licence plate requirements.]

By DARYLL NANAYAKARA

THEY are bright, stylish - and illegal.

And they are hot, so much so that some car owners are willing to risk a jail term of up to three months just so they could have number plates that look good even though they do not conform with Land Transport Authority (LTA) stipulations, such as European Union-style ones.

The LTA told my paper that 726 drivers were caught in the first four months this year for such offences. For the whole of last year, only 2,039 were caught.

Car workshops told my paper that such licence plates are still flying off the shelves despite the severe penalty.

On the average, the workshops said they each receive between 35 and 50 requests per month from drivers wanting to switch to the illegal licence plates - which can cost between $40 and $65 each, depending on the size and design.

Mr S. L. Teo, 32, from Autozone Motoring, said: "There will always be a demand for the nicer ones that are illegal.

"The approved ones have too many restrictions in terms of how they should look and how big they should be."

Another workshop operator, Deck Carcraft's Jackson Kang, 27, said: "Customers are willing to take the risk even after we tell them the plates are not approved ones.

"To them, how their car looks is more important."

Another reason smaller plates appeal to drivers is to avoid detection by the authorities.

Illegal plates that use reflective fonts and contain ornamental marks alongside the vehicle's registration number may make it difficult to read the car's licence number when the vehicle is moving, for example, when it is involved in a hit-and-run accident.

A staff member of a workshop, who declined to be named, said: "The majority of the drivers come with heavily modified cars they use in illegal races and the smaller the plates, the harder it would be for the Traffic Police to read them."

According to LTA guidelines on the One.Motoring website, approved licence plates should have letters and figures that are 70mm high, 50mm wide and 10mm broad.

However, illegal plates usually have fonts that are between 10mm and 15mm smaller than stipulated by the LTA.

A spokesman for LTA said drivers caught with plates that do not conform to requirements face a fine of up to $1,000 or a jail term of up to three months.

In addition, the drivers would have to have the defective plates made good within seven days or risk facing a maximum fine of $2,000 or six months' jail - the penalty for repeat offenders.

[email protected]

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha, bunch of fucking vainpot ah guas

Since they got so much money to throw, hope LTA fines them heavily

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
everything seems to be illegal here...may i know what is legal in singapore? i think all car owners should tattoo their licence plate no. on their forehead...

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
may be, if these cars driven by europeans, then they are legal. if by sinkies, of course illegal and have to severly fine them.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Truly, i don't understand these morons. Spend so much money to buy a BMW 7 series, and u get the most shit useless engine for it. Its a travesty. BMW germany should be ashamed of selling a 7 series with a 3 litre 6 cylinder engine. And PML should check the IQ for all these purchasers. This machine, the E65/E66, weights a whopping 2070kg. When u attached a 3.0 litre engine to it, with IIRC, only 265hp, u have truly bastardised the car, and it shows that this rich fucker knows shit all about performance saloons. Given the chassis/transmission/ combination, the minimum size engine that can be used to exact the beautiful performance this car can produce, should be a 4.4 Litre V8 with a 325hp output. When such a large car is powered by a such a small engine, u might as well drive a lorry. The performance will be the same. My personal car weights 550kg less, and yet, I only have 15hp less than this 730i. Really pathetic, at least PML now only carries the 4.0litre 6, and higher.