• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How Should English Newreaders Read Chinese Names?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For example, Li Jiawei (disregarding the Chinese tones) or 李家薇 (with the Chinese tones)? I notice that there's not uniformity among English newsreaders in Singapore.

Reading an English newsarticle and changing midway to Chinese tones for authentic Chinese name pronunciation usually make the English-based presentation sounds awkward instead of being authentic.

Chinese (and also Thai) newsreaders usually assign intoned transliteration to English (and other foreign) names so as to fit into the tonal qualities of the respective languages. The presentation sounds smoother.

What do you think?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
For example, Li Jiawei (disregarding the Chinese tones) or 李家薇 (with the Chinese tones)? I notice that there's not uniformity among English newsreaders in Singapore.

Reading an English newsarticle and changing midway to Chinese tones for authentic Chinese name pronunciation usually make the English-based presentation sounds awkward instead of being authentic.

Chinese (and also Thai) newsreaders usually assign intoned transliteration to English (and other foreign) names so as to fit into the tonal qualities of the respective languages. The presentation sounds smoother.

What do you think?

i thought it's only decent respect shown if you spoke of the name in the way it is pronounced in the subject's native tongue. how else on earth are you gonna pronounce this name, !xobile ?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually, it depends on whether ze presenter noes chinese anot ... 4 dose who dun, dey wun pronounce in chinese ...

ya ... sounds strange ...

but as long as dey prounounce correctly, 4 me, can oredi ...

gt tis prc footballer @ man city, sun zihai ... dose ang mo oways pronounce his name as sun (as in sun, moon) n nt as soon, which shld b ze correct way ... me tinks dat's nt rite la ...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i thought it's only decent respect shown if you spoke of the name in the way it is pronounced in the subject's native tongue. how else on earth are you gonna pronounce this name, !xobile ?

I think that's too harsh a sentence to pass. Out of the circle encompassing Tibet, China, Indochina and Thailand, I think that the languages that originated from the rest of world don't use tones. It's quite difficult for say, a typical American or British newsreader to pronunce a Chinese or Thai name in exact tones.

Chinese don't pronounce English names exactly too. For example, Clinton became 克林顿 and Bush became 布什. Neither do Thais nor Japanese, even though Japanese also don't use tones.

Another thing, when a Chinese reader comes across a Japanese name, e.g. 渡辺太郎, should the Chinese reader pronunce it as "dubian tailang" as if it's Chinese, or accord "respect" and pronounce it as "watanabe taro"?

jw5

Loyal

What do you think?
In my opinion, the English newsreaders should not read the Chinese names as if they were speaking Mandarin.
For example, I don't like the way Melissa Hyak says "Beijing".

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Chinese don't pronounce English names exactly too. For example, Clinton became 克林顿 and Bush became 布什. Neither do Thais nor Japanese, even though Japanese also don't use tones.

now that you've mentioned, i've always found it tough to accept names pronounced like that... Michael Jordon becomes 迈克乔丹... how freaky can it get? :eek:

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
probably the worst news reader is David Nia...what in the world made mediacorpse employed him to be a news caster is beyond comprehension...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
David Nye? LOL! One of the most disastrous circus ever around.

"...and now it's the sports...ne...w...s..."

"...and it's going to make a co...mm...ee...ba...cc...kk..."

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

"...and now it's the sports...ne...w...s..."

"...and it's going to make a co...mm...ee...ba...cc...kk..."

" ... and you've been watching Channel News Asurrrrrrrrrrrrrre " :biggrin:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Frankiestine said:
probably the worst news reader is David Nia...what in the world made mediacorpse employed him to be a news caster is beyond comprehension...
Really buay tahan his whiny delivery, gets on my nerves:(. Mediacorpse? that's a good 1:p. Think he's stand-in for weekends.

Think we had some good lady newsreaders, who either got poached by likes of CNBC, BBC or simply got hitched:p Had the hots for this defunct channel I's (Michelle?). Also the weather gal (whats her name?) too, who came on in some old police series with James Lye