• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

He gives up life in US for S'pore girl but...

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,194599,00.html?

He gives up life in US for S'pore girl but...
With no job, he has to leave by end April
March 04, 2009

FOUR years ago, he was retrenched. He had lost his job as a mortgage loan coordinator.

With little savings, Mr Thomas Throg, 38, an American, decided to head east.

He had done some research and decided on Singapore, after reading news reports of its booming economy.

But he had another reason: He had befriended a Singaporean girl over the social networking site MySpace.

They had moved on to e-mails and messaging programs, and finally exchanged phone numbers, within two months.

From that point onward, they had regular phone conversations for six months.

'I liked her, and when we talked there were obviously sparks flying, so when I decided to leave America, I told her, 'Maybe I could come over to Singapore to see you',' said Mr Throg.

So he sold his house, said his goodbyes, packed his bags and headed here.

But a year after he arrived, Mr Throg is finding things hard over here as well.

He can't find a job, and is racing against time to land one before 30 Apr.

That's when his study visa expires, and without an employer applying for an S-Pass on his behalf, he'll have to leave Singapore and return to America and start all over again in his parents' basement, in an economy that's losing thousands of jobs every day.

Said Mr Throg: 'I'll pray for the best, that I'll be able to get on my feet quickly in America.

'But really, I'm praying that God will open a door here, that somebody's going to say, 'Hey, I think we'll take a chance on him and sponsor him for an S-Pass.'

'Anyone who does that is going to get a very motivated and hard-working guy who's definitely going to try to be a success wherever he's going to be placed.'

Girlfriend

As for his relationship with his girlfriend, Miss Natalie Sastrowardjoyo, 23, an administrations assistant, Mr Throg said:

'I don't know what'll happen if I have to leave. I know we'll stay in touch and we'll try to make our relationship work again, now that we've been together for over a year.'

The irony of his predicament is not lost on him.

Said Mr Throg: 'The recession I was running from caught up with me over here and now it's starting to seem as if it was all for nothing.

'I was hoping that this would be the new land of opportunity, and that I'd find work and live happily ever after.'

He recalled how, when he first arrived in Singapore, he attempted to get into mortgaging.

Back in the US, he had worked for CitiGroup and Nextstar Financial, and had 12 years of experience in the field, he said.

But the recruiter here refused him because he had not been to college.

'To me, that was just crazy. I thought, 'Wow, 12 years of experience versus a piece of paper?' '

So he enrolled in the Boston School of Business Management for a diploma in hospitality management.

He is currently working at the Republic of Singapore Yacht Club as part of the syllabus.

Though he admits that his finances are strained, what's foremost in his mind right now is to get a job before the dreaded 30 Apr deadline.

For her part, Miss Sastrowardjoyo has been calling up contacts and taking him to job fairs, including one organised by the North West Community Development Council at Sembawang last week, which attracted as many as 4,800 job seekers.

'He's really genuine and big-hearted,' she said. 'He deserves better than this.'

Julian Lee, newsroom intern

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... As for his relationship with his girlfriend, Miss Natalie Sastrowardjoyo, 23, an administrations assistant, Mr Throg said:

'I don't know what'll happen if I have to leave. ... '...
nt tapao-ing back? ... :confused:

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Newpaper indirectly helping him to find a job hoping that some companies will want to hire him after reading the article.

Very clever and subtle way to solicit for a job!!

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Marvelous isn't it.

We can dismiss help for locals
but
went all out to help an old FT....

Bcoz he is an American?
Ah moh is better?

:mad: :( :mad:

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mortgage loan coordinator? Hmmmm toxic assets comes to mind. No wonder he cannot get a job. Boohoo boohoo so sad. :rolleyes:

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
2llfsqt.jpg

more here:

http://www.friendster.com/photos/11376092/1/689160963#pic=6760970421689160963

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamak both FTs. So much for SPH duping its local citizens that SHE is a Sporean. For stupid Christs sake, we are NOT that dumb lah!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The job fairs are supposedly to help unemployed Singaporeans to land a job, now you know the truth that FT's are applying.

The cyring labour minister should a ashamed!...what tripa...!! nonsense!..:cool:

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
thousands of asians have faced the same problems and much worse when they are in the us and europe. Sign of things to come.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thousands of asians have faced the same problems and much worse when they are in the us and europe. Sign of things to come.

I wonder when they'll put up a Statue of Lee-birty? They can replace the Merlion.

Give me your (young) tired, your (young)poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breath (polluted) air, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the (young) homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just another gullible a**hole who gave up all to be with a strange woman in exotic Asia.

Knew 1 angmoh who sold everything, divorced his wife to "live in bliss" with aminah in S'pore. Soaked him dry for 1 year. He used to tell me how his girl liked anal sex over the regular. Didn't have the heart to tell him.. 1st time I saw her, already knew she was a he.

Finally he found out himself, but she left him a another blur sotong Italian :eek:

Anyway, I supposed he acquired the taste and liked it, he went on to hook up with another TG :biggrin:

From the photo, this SG girl with Indo name looks suspiciously like one too :confused:

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
'Anyone who does that is going to get a very motivated and hard-working guy who's definitely going to try to be a success wherever he's going to be placed.'

'He's really genuine and big-hearted,' she said. 'He deserves better than this.'

Bad qualifiers. How many Singaporeans are also hardworking, genuie and big hearted too? How does this foreigner deserve better than Singaporeans who are on par with him but retrenched? Many also no formal education but with lots of experience.

Fucked up referencing to personal character as qualifying factors. This country needs to be factual, not emotive towards foreigners here to work.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamak both FTs. So much for SPH duping its local citizens that SHE is a Sporean.

She can do FL at Orchard Towers :biggrin: ...... since Ms "KingKong" has returned to LOS there's a vacancy open....... those with fetishes for Big Oversized Mamas will love her :biggrin:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
He must have seen what Spore girls are like :p

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: lol

But seriously, these "outbound" angmohs do have very different taste from us. Have you been in Phuket, Pattaya, Bali and seen these guys hugging a wrinkled faced ugly old chabo with her kids (from other men, not his) in tow and acting like they have snagged Angelina Jolie and her adopted kids? :eek::confused: