• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Give local poly grads priority for varsity based on merit

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD>Give local poly grads priority for varsity based on merit

</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to Wednesday's reports, "Degrees for more poly grads" and "Lower-cost degrees at home bring cheer to poly grads".
In the first report, Dr Ng Eng Hen mentioned plans for a tie-up for polytechnic students to take up degree courses offered by foreign universities here in Singapore.
Dr Ng also noted that Singapore will be hard-pressed to compete against China, India and other developing countries such as Vietnam.
I applaud the move, but I have doubts about this new educational policy.
As a full-time polytechnic student, I wonder if we will have to compete against foreign students studying in the polytechnics when the plan comes into effect. Will priority be given to local students based on merit?
In other words, will we be competing against foreign students based on merit?
As for the report, "Lower-cost degrees at home bring cheer to poly grads", I have mixed feeling about such policies.
The report stated that so far, the Ministry of Education has named as possible courses applied sciences and engineering, digital media and health sciences.
I'm pursuing a diploma in digital media. As digital media is gaining popularity here, I'm wondering if the vacancies for such tie-up courses will sufficiently meet the demand from local students.
There should be more transparency on this issue. Don't give local students false hopes.
I think that the ministry should have a quota on the ratio of foreign and local students for admission to these courses.
Bilateral ties with other countries are important, but it should not be at the expense of local students. Tan Shao Ken

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
If both students are equal, I agree local student should be given priority. however, if the foreign student is better, no. A local student who makes it to University is better off with a bright foreign student as a classmate rather than a dud local student who got in through protectionism.

Look at University of Malaya - foremost university in the region previously. Now many of their graduates are of questionable quality.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Give local poly grads priority for varsity based on merit

</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to Wednesday's reports, "Degrees for more poly grads" and "Lower-cost degrees at home bring cheer to poly grads".
In the first report, Dr Ng Eng Hen mentioned plans for a tie-up for polytechnic students to take up degree courses offered by foreign universities here in Singapore.
Dr Ng also noted that Singapore will be hard-pressed to compete against China, India and other developing countries such as Vietnam.
I applaud the move, but I have doubts about this new educational policy.
As a full-time polytechnic student, I wonder if we will have to compete against foreign students studying in the polytechnics when the plan comes into effect. Will priority be given to local students based on merit?
In other words, will we be competing against foreign students based on merit?
As for the report, "Lower-cost degrees at home bring cheer to poly grads", I have mixed feeling about such policies.
The report stated that so far, the Ministry of Education has named as possible courses applied sciences and engineering, digital media and health sciences.
I'm pursuing a diploma in digital media. As digital media is gaining popularity here, I'm wondering if the vacancies for such tie-up courses will sufficiently meet the demand from local students.
There should be more transparency on this issue. Don't give local students false hopes.
I think that the ministry should have a quota on the ratio of foreign and local students for admission to these courses.
Bilateral ties with other countries are important, but it should not be at the expense of local students. Tan Shao Ken

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
to the znghu, who pays more taxes wins. local or foreign poly student go to study in uni, grad & come out to work. both local & foreigner when working gotta pay taxes, but znghu gotta give perks to locals, but no need give foreigners perks. of cos the preference is still foreigners la.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
If both students are equal, I agree local student should be given priority. however, if the foreign student is better, no. A local student who makes it to University is better off with a bright foreign student as a classmate rather than a dud local student who got in through protectionism.

Look at University of Malaya - foremost university in the region previously. Now many of their graduates are of questionable quality.

The fact that Tan Shao Ken is clamouring for quota is evidence that the local students are unable to compete with foreign students on equal footing.

Having mocked the Malaysians for years for having a Bumiputra policy, Singaporeans are now asking for a Bumiputra policy favouring their own kind.

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fact that Tan Shao Ken is clamouring for quota is evidence that the local students are unable to compete with foreign students on equal footing.

Having mocked the Malaysians for years for having a Bumiputra policy, Singaporeans are now asking for a Bumiputra policy favouring their own kind.
i think u abit cuntfused. the bumi policy was favoring skin colour among its own shitizens. but for our case, they're asking for a policy that protect its own shitizens regardless of skin color.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think u abit cuntfused. the bumi policy was favoring skin colour among its own shitizens. but for our case, they're asking for a policy that protect its own shitizens regardless of skin color.

The 'shitizens' in this case are predominately the 75% Chinese majority as they find themselves increasingly having trouble competing these days and want a Bumiputra policy of their own under the guise of nationality. The writer of the article Tan is a Chinese himself.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 'shitizens' in this case are predominately the 75% Chinese majority as they find themselves increasingly having trouble competing these days and want a Bumiputra policy of their own under the guise of nationality. The writer of the article Tan is a Chinese himself.

it is to protect stupid mats and ah nehs lah idiot:cool:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While I agree with giving piorities to the locals, we shouldnt set a quota. They should make sure that given the same grades, between a FT/PR and Citizen, the placd should always be given to citizens. If the FT and PR scored way better then locals, I do not think we should offer a student with way poorer results a place just because of the quota issue