• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

German (NTU again!) comes S'pore and lecture us on culture

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
NTU lecturer lectures Singaporeans

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/309147.asp

To cane or not to cane?
Dr Rachel S Kraut

ONE night, over dinner, my 11-year-old daughter whispered something in my ear: One of her Primary 6 classmates had been publicly caned that day, in the classroom, in front of all the other students.
His offence was apparently computer-game related — he had chased down and kicked another child after that child had refused to tell him his password for the online game Maple Story.
I am not much consoled by the knowledge that the child’s parents were first consulted, and gave the school permission to cane their child.
As someone who didn’t grow up in the Singapore system, this is horrifying. Not only because of the public display of barbarity, but because of several messages that were delivered by the school’s discipline master presiding over the event. He compared this caning to the punishment meted out in Jakarta jails, telling the class: “The cane they use is four times as thick!”
Are we supposed to be reassured by the comparison of our children’s school to an Indonesian jail? Before and during the caning, the students sat silently, terrified, dreading the moment. My daughter told me what she thought: “I don’t want to watch this. No one should be caned, especially in public.” She turned away and didn’t look.
One wonders: Will public caning lead to better behaviour? Was caning the right course of action in this case? Wouldn’t psychological counselling have been both more humane and more effective, as well as less damaging to the collective morale? What sort of repercussions will the witnessing of this event have on other students?
I’m sure the discipline master is confident he’s doing the right thing by caning children. The adage “Spare the rod and spoil the child” may have some validity, but as an educational philosophy, it certainly doesn’t contribute to creating a self-confident, free-thinking, creative populace.
The Singaporean school system acts according to its own rules, beliefs, and cultural norms. This is fine, as long as the system is homogeneous. However, one of the stated goals of Singapore as a nation is to attract “foreign talent” and to nurture and integrate other cultures, as a mechanism of achieving technological advancement. This is sensible, and admirable.
But before the scientific establishment in Singapore recommends to Western scientists that they should immigrate and try to integrate their families into the local system, the system should either be relooked, or parents and children should prepare themselves for a shock.
The writer is an Associate Professor at the School of Biological Sciences, Nanyang Technological University. She is a Singapore PR who has lived here for four years. She is writing in her personal capacity.
Email your views to [email protected]

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.todayonline.com/articles/309260.asp

Online Only- It is not barbaric to cane
Letter from Bernard Toh
I write to state my support for maintaining discipline in our schools; and if that requires public caning - so be it. I am surprised that Dr Rachel S Kraut chose to describe it as a ‘public display of barbarity’ which I do not agree. In my view, it is a public display of ‘upholding discipline and correcting unacceptable behaviour’. Knowing our system, I am quite certain the child in question was counselled previously about his behaviour towards his friends and classmates.
My parting shot to international talent who want to be a part of us is that they should make the effort to understand our system and not preach to us that theirs is better.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I’m sure the discipline master is confident he’s doing the right thing by caning children. The adage “Spare the rod and spoil the child” may have some validity, but as an educational philosophy, it certainly doesn’t contribute to creating a self-confident, free-thinking, creative populace.

now you know how did the 66.6% came about? :biggrin:

but cannot blame the child lah, kena stressed so much during growing up, with parents don't have time to look after the kids, because they are busy generating money for our state coffers, which ended up losing 200 billions.

listen to the Krauts, they are from developed country...first class in social welfare, first class in human development. of course there are misfits in every countries. but i feel we have more..wasn't there a news report that a quarter of our population are suffering from some form of depression?

we are still developing country, that's why our govt. are richer.....

Last edited:

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
our prisons cane those prisoners who commited serious crimes. why not cane our students boys and girls like the old days in singapore?

caning on buttocks is always safe and in u.k., they even caned them bared.

should allow normal teachers to cane to maintain the discipline instead of restricting this right to the school principal.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sinkie are educated to follow the rules or else they will be punished. But those sinkies do not know that when they follow the rules , they are screwed every second. That is a terrible way to live.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
good students (good results and well behaved) should be caned ocasionally too as a kind of training enable them to face the unjust situations and be strong - avoid the incident a good student commited suicide becos the gal he loved not loving him. and caning on buttocks can boost one's intelligence level according to a study in russia not long ago.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
good students (good results and well behaved) should be caned ocasionally too as a kind of training enable them to face the unjust situations and be strong - avoid the incident a good student commited suicide becos the gal he loved not loving him. and caning on buttocks can boost one's intelligence level according to a study in russia not long ago.

Don't worry lah, we got NS for that :rolleyes:

Cthulhu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wahahaha .... a German named Kraut. Luckily she doesn't live in UK or she'll never hear the end of it.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i always have this question - why cane only boys and not girls. Why caning is a punishment meted out on guys and not women? You mean women won't commit serious crimes? Girls won't steal in schools?

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Dr Kraut is not happy she can send her princess to an International school where all her FT friends are

Why write complain letter to ST?

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
i always have this question - why cane only boys and not girls. Why caning is a punishment meted out on guys and not women? You mean women won't commit serious crimes? Girls won't steal in schools?

you cane charboh, break the hymen how?! Wait Teekee will come after you for destroying charboh's chastity and Tonychat will chastise you for your sinkie behaviour