• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Future looks bleak for teen with AIDS

• Thread starter Ieyasu Tokugawa
  • Start date
I

Ieyasu Tokugawa

Tuesday November 9, 2010

Future looks bleak for teen with AIDS

KUALA LUMPUR: Fourteen-year old Helmi longs to go to school, play football with his friends and become a scientist. But his future looks bleak because of a mistake by a hospital in Segamat. Helmi was given tainted blood by the hospital 11 years ago after being admitted for jaundice, which resulted in him becoming HIV positive. His father Kamarul, 49, who is disabled, said the past eleven years had been a nightmare for the family.

n_30teen_b.jpg

Moral support: Mohd Khairun hugging Helmi at the press conference yesterday.

Kamarul, father of two children, who works as a road sweeper with the Seremban municipality, said the hospital finally paid the family RM100,000 in damages five years ago. “At first, the hospital refused to take responsibility, but even when they did, we were not given a fair compensation.

“We were represented by a lawyer who swindled a large sum of the settlement,” he said, adding that they had been travelling from Segamat to Hospital Kuala Lumpur every month for medical appointments until they shifted to Seremban a year ago. Helmi has now been diagnosed with AIDS and has not been to school for the past month. “I don’t want my friends to find out about my illness. I am hoping to go back to school,” said Helmi at a press conference organised by the Umno Public Complaints Bureau yesterday.

Umno Youth community and complaints bureau head Datuk Mohd Khairun Aseh said they would do all they could to assist the family. “I will meet the Federal Territories and Urban Well-Being Ministry to request that the family be provided with a low-cost home, so that they will be closer to the hospital,” he said. To make a contribution to Helmi’s family, contact the Umno Public Complaints Bureau at 03-6207 8706.