• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FTrash & PAPee In Mutual Por Lum Par!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Zaobao launches Crossroads for FTs</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">5:32 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 1) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>11343.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Zaobao launches Crossroads to keep new migrants informed

</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_P1BLURBS13-T6G.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Rear-Admiral Lui (third from left) meeting Mr Zhou Zhao Cheng (far left), associate chief sub-editor of Lianhe Zaobao, at the launch of the newspaper's new feature section, Crossroads. With them are SPH chairman Dr Tan (second from left) and SPH senior executive vice-president (CND) Mr Hu. -- ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->
IT WAS tough-going when Ms Helen Xin arrived in Singapore seven years ago from Xi'an, China.

'When you are a new immigrant in a new place with a different culture and values, you feel very alone,' said the 38-year-old Chinese-language teacher.
'We need help, especially in knowing that there are others out there who share our problems and who think like us.'
This is why she is welcoming a new initiative by Chinese newspaper Lianhe Zaobao: A weekly feature section targeted at new immigrants. To be published every Monday, it will start running today.
Called Crossroads, the three-page section will focus on news and issues of concern to new immigrants, from current affairs, careers, education and law, to lifestyle, the arts and culture.
It was launched yesterday at Singapore Press Holdings' (SPH's) News Centre by Acting Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts Lui Tuck Yew, SPH chairman Tony Tan, SPH chief executive officer Alan Chan, SPH senior executive vice-president (Chinese Newspapers and Newspaper Services Divisions) Robin Hu, and Lianhe Zaobao editor Lim Jim Koon.
The ceremony was witnessed by about 450 people, including new immigrants.
In his speech, Rear-Admiral (NS) Lui commended Crossroads as a 'useful initiative' and 'significant effort'.
'Crossroads can serve as a platform for new immigrants to be more involved in the unfolding Singapore Story, and allow us to foster understanding and promote social interactions,' he said.
Last year, 20,513 foreigners took up citizenship, while 79,167 took up permanent residency.
Rear-Adm Lui also noted that by including Crossroads in the main Lianhe Zaobao newspaper, new immigrants will have access to news in Singapore and the world, and also be able to engage in matters of immediate concern to them.
'Lianhe Zaobao and our Chinese publications in Singapore are well-placed to help new immigrants who have a good command of the Chinese language get to know our customs, society and values.'
He also said that efforts such as Crossroads acknowledge the fact that 'integrating immigrants into Singapore society is a multi-pronged effort and is not a role reserved solely for the Government'.
Speaking in Mandarin, SPH's Mr Hu said Crossroads aims to promote understanding between new immigrants and society, as well as enhance bonding among all Singaporeans. To help the process along, he said three months' worth of free subscriptions to Lianhe Zaobao will be offered to tertiary students and employment pass holders who have been here less than a year.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Thank you, Mr Lee, say new immigrants

</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD>They pay tribute to him for the many chances S'pore has given them </TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Author --></TD></TR><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Li Xueying, Political Correspondent

</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
mm%20leep6.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

MM Lee met with applause as he arrives at the Lianhe Zaobao launch of a new feature section, Crossroads. ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->

ONE by one, they stood to thank Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew for his governance of a country that has given them so many opportunities.

The youngest was 20-year-old Lin Shuang, formerly from Sichuan, who completed her A levels at Temasek Junior College and has received many offers from universities in Britain and Hong Kong.

The oldest was 92-year-old Teh Wan Boon from Malaysia, who emigrated to Singapore when he was 86 because of the 'good security' here.

In-between, there were five others.

It was meant to be a question and answer session for the new immigrants with Mr Lee at the launch of Lianhe Zaobao's new feature section, Crossroads.

But the session yesterday evolved into a series of tributes to the elder statesman, who was visibly touched.

Mr Fong Chi Chung, 42, who owns Pu Tien restaurant, which serves the cuisine of his native Putian in Fujian province, started the ball rolling by saying simply: 'I want to express my gratitude to you.'

He left Fujian in 2000 for Singapore, and has since made a success of his culinary business, with four outlets.

'I hope that I will have the privilege of you trying the food in my restaurant,' Mr Fong told Mr Lee, who chuckled and asked him to leave his namecard.

Next was businesswoman Zhang Run Zhi, formerly from Shanghai, who recounted how she began her life in Singapore 20 years ago selling vacuum cleaners door to door. Now, she owns two companies - one selling vacuum cleaners, the other wine - with a turnover of more than $1million a month, she said.

'When people ask me which is better, Shanghai or Singapore, I say that China is my parent and Singapore is my husband,' she said. 'Both are good!'

To this, Mr Lee said wryly: 'Born-and-bred Singaporeans do not think that way; they feel that Singapore is not good enough.'

Wuhan native Zhao Feng Zhong had a different take. She came to Singapore in 1987 and now has a 20-year-old son who has just received a flying licence in national service.

'I want to thank the Government for cultivating my son so well,' she said.

But she has one worry: 'My son doesn't recognise China - he thinks it is backward and not as good as Singapore.'

Mr Lee assured her with a laugh: 'Wait till Wuhan becomes a first-tier city.'

Younger new immigrants also expressed their gratitude.

National University of Singapore commerce undergraduate Yu Jian Hong, 22, spoke of how his family of four came from Fujian 11 years ago and lived in a one-room flat in Marsiling.

Since then, his father, who is uneducated, has become the boss of a precision engineering company.

He had been supporting himself through school since the age of 16 with weekend jobs.

'Singapore is a unique place. If you can study and are willing to work hard, the Government will give everyone the same opportunities,' he enthused.

Mr Lee asked Mr Yu if he had studied English in China.

Switching to English, Mr Yu, who proudly announced he received his citizenship two months ago, replied with a grin: 'No, and for my A levels, I scored a B for my GP (General Paper). No problem.'

Another was Ding Na, 24, a fresh graduate from a polytechnic here. She came here from China alone at age 16.

'I would like to thank you for this fair and safe country,' she told Mr Lee. 'Here, once you are willing to work hard, there are opportunities.'

The odd one out was native Malaysian Mr Teh, the only one not from China.

'I have been all over the world, and in the end, at the age of 86, I chose Singapore because it has good security.

'At my late age, I want a good place to settle down. Thank you for your leadership in turning Singapore into a safe and peaceful society.'

Their successful assimilation underscores Mr Lee's message which the audience heard earlier in the morning: that it is a 'matter of time'.

He said: 'You speak Mandarin with different accents...Your lifestyles, foods and diets have been different. Slowly but surely, you will come to take to Singaporean lifestyles and culinary tastes.'

The process takes place with help on various fronts.

One is a group of volunteers called 'integration and naturalisation champions', gathered by the People's Association. They made contact with more than 13,000 new immigrants last year.

Another is the National Integration Council, which plans to encourage more ground-up initiatives such as involving new immigrants in welfare organisations.

'When new and old citizens get to know one another better, they will warm up to one another,' Mr Lee said.

Integration is not an 'overnight matter', Acting Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts Lui Tuck Yew said in his speech.

It does not always come naturally, he added. 'There has to be commitment on all sides to build and sustain bridges of friendship and understanding.
'It is...something that we need to work hard on.'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>>The oldest was 92-year-old Teh Wan Boon from Malaysia, who emigrated to Singapore when he was 86 because of the 'good security' here. <<<

Because of this? =>

jobsFTns.jpg