• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

From SIA Girl to SIA Cup

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_377592.html

From SIA Girl to SIA Cup
Becoming a horse trainer was her dream, and now she's taking on Republic's richest race
By Jonathan Wong

a18-1.jpg

Dragon's hopes rest on The Hornet, a competitor for the SIA Cup. The only local female assistant trainer here, she comes from a horse-loving family. -- ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN

FOR 10 years, Leticia Dragon travelled the globe as a Singapore Girl.
The Singapore Airlines stewardess had two reasons for signing up with the national flier: She loved travelling, and she loved horses.

The passionate horse lover said: 'Becoming an SIA girl was a way for me to see the world and allowed me to watch the famous race tracks.'

Besides attending the Melbourne Cup in 1993 and 1994, Leticia has also been to the Santa Anita Park in California and the Turffontein Racecourse in Johannesburg.

A connection with that part of her life will be renewed tomorrow when the Singapore Airlines International Cup returns to the Kranji racecourse.

Now 35, Dragon is the assistant trainer to The Hornet, one of 12 thoroughbreds competing in the annual $3 million showpiece event of the Singapore racing calendar.

While such a career switch would alarm most people, it comes as no surprise to those in the Dragon household.

She comes from a horse-racing family - grandfather Cyril and uncle Christopher were both jockeys, while her father Douglas, an ex-jockey, is her boss and trainer of one of the stables at the Singapore Turf Club.

She recalls travelling with her father at the age of seven when he went to Malaysia to race.

'As I was obviously underage, he would pass me his binoculars so I could watch the race from the hotel room,' she says with an easy laugh.

Read the full story in Saturday's edition of The Straits Times.

HORNET HAS STING

"He's probably one of the smallest horses in the race, at around 450kg. The best are probably around 480kg. But he's got a big heart, and maybe he'll surprise a few people. We're all looking forward to the world experience."

Letica Dragon, assistant trainer to The Hornet, which is competing for the SIA cup.