• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Four organisations unite to fight for retailers against rising rents

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Updated: 18th March 2009, 1805 hrs

Four organisations are banding together to help their members fight rising rental costs.

The four are the Singapore Retailers Association, Restaurant Association, Singapore Jewellers Association and Textile and Fashion Federation.

In a joint statement issued today, the four say they reached the agreement following a meeting last Friday.

Given the current downturn, they say shop closures together with staff retrenchments are something they've had to face.

Occupancy costs are their members' biggest burden.

Even after repeated pleas for landlords to offer rental rebates, these have gone unheeded.

Some landlords have even proposed rental increases.

As such, the four bodies have decided that they will unite to 'engage and seek partnerships with landlords' so as to avoid shop closures and preserve jobs.

A first step is information sharing among members of the organisations.

Mr David Wang, Vice President of the Textile and Fashion Federation.

"For example if I'm in the shopping mall, I've maybe next to me maybe a jewellery shop and my other immediate neighbour may be one of the FJ Benjamin that brings in Topshop. We don't know what kind of rental each other are paying, so the fact that now we're coming together, the first step is to share the information at least we know are the landlords charging us fairly for the space? Sometimes they tend to play games with all the retailers by telling you Oh I'm only charging this brand so and so and charging you a special price so we want to remove all that doubt. "

saf_ranger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Four organisations are banding together to help their members fight rising rental costs.

The four are the Singapore Retailers Association, Restaurant Association, Singapore Jewellers Association and Textile and Fashion Federation.

In a joint statement issued today, the four say they reached the agreement following a meeting last Friday.

Given the current downturn, they say shop closures together with staff retrenchments are something they've had to face.

Even after repeated pleas for landlords to offer rental rebates, these have gone unheeded.

As such, the four bodies have decided that they will unite to 'engage and seek partnerships with landlords' so as to avoid shop closures and preserve jobs.

"For example if I'm in the shopping mall, I've maybe next to me maybe a jewellery shop and my other immediate neighbour may be one of the FJ Benjamin that brings in Topshop. We don't know what kind of rental each other are paying, so the fact that now we're coming together, the first step is to share the information at least we know are the landlords charging us fairly for the space? Sometimes they tend to play games with all the retailers by telling you Oh I'm only charging this brand so and so and charging you a special price so we want to remove all that doubt. "

fight for what,what the point.just close shop and go...i aslo dont shop in singapore.waste my time.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it is an excellent move amongst the association to counter the ridiculous power of the REITs in Singapore. On one hand, raising rentals without considering the current climate, pocketing govt rebates without sharing with tenants and even dare to go to govt to ask for reduction in dividends payout ratio. knn.

I hope the data gathered will be distributed for the public to see as well. I foresee a new clause in their rental contracts that all rental rates are private and confidential. wahaha

DrPanacea

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first landlords they have to meet with should be Capitaland and Maple Tree. I believe these charges some of the highest rates.

GREED brought down Wall St. and the world's economy. If insatiable GREED does not stop we will see more businesses closing and more jobs lost. The job credit scheme will not work to retain jobs. Workers willl still be fired.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal

...and what did the Garment do?

"this is not within our control.."

Awakening7

I think this will be an exercise in futility. Who 'owns' these malls? Many of these malls are owned and managed by the same organization.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
revolution1-1.jpg

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
th_front-hoching.jpg
th_jt4aj5.gif
th_php8CE9ht.jpg

How dare the Peasants plot a revolt against my Familee! Hike rental further punish them!