• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Former ST political desk journalist: We were not allowed to report on good opposition candidates or highlight anything good about them

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Screenshot 2024-06-27 at 11.42.47 AM.png

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.prolificcrap.com/forum/...idates-or-highlight-anything-good-about-them?

Former ST political desk journalist: We were not allowed to report on good opposition candidates or highlight anything good about them​

in Current Affairs
5911b1_88e8e4e20d434f8c94584af3c9152d33~mv2.png

I get super worked up when I hear people say "opposition candidates are not good". I also feel bad because as a journalist on the Straits Times political desk, I was part of the media machinery that helped perpetuate this image.

There always have been really good opposition candidates who dared to put themselves up for election - you just never heard about them because we were not allowed to report on good opposition candidates or highlight anything good about them. But news of silly minor things that made them look bad - those we played up. (Photos of them with eyes half closed, mouths open, looking sweaty etc were encouraged.)

There were, of course, a fair number of real nutjobs that emerged during elections. Those we played up. A lot. To build up the image that opposition is ridiculous and have no real candidates. If you still feel that way, it means you fell for the ploy.

My favourite opposition candidate was Dr Wong Wee Nam who has since passed away. I covered his candidacy in 1997. If you've never heard of him and still think "opposition" never had good people... well, that's thanks to mainstream media.

I tried my best to give Dr Wong and his team fair coverage. Once even managed to get a full page coverage for his party then - National Solidarity Party. It actually went to print... but boy was there hell to pay the next day. Editors had to scramble to explain to the "higher ups" why opposition candidates were given so much coverage.

Editors explained to us later on, in seemingly-logical language that "coverage of parties must be proportionate to the number of MPs they had in government". Meaning it is totally fair for opposition candidates to get little to no coverage.

I was so disheartened I asked for a transfer out of poldesk and they were more than happy to let me go. I tried. Many of us tried, constantly doing small things to challenge the "rules". Most of us have left ST.

That's why I am so happy that with social media, there's little room for censorship. Because someone else will have a record of what really happened and a platform to share it on.

So if you're still unsure about who to vote for in this election, the last thing you should trust is what the mainstream media is telling you. Vote for the party you think will ensure your views are respected and represented in parliament.

https://www.facebook.com/eliza.teoh.1

a27d24_990a050492834105990649f6e9dea2a4~mv2.jpg

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are instead many good opposition candidates who contested election after election but never get elected until they become old and give up. Blame it on the old sinkies and now it is their younger generations who has to suffer.

Old sinkies wanted estate upgrading, cheap handouts and a one-party rule.

Now their children have to face high bto prices, difficulty in finding good jobs due to a bigger population and discrimination in their own country :devilish:

Had these old sinkies voted in more opposition candidates before GE2011, life will not be so miserable now :frown: