• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Five dead after lift plunge in skyscraper

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Five dead after lift plunge in Hong Kong skyscraper
AFP - Monday, September 14

HONG KONG (AFP) - - Five workers died on Sunday after plunging more than a dozen floors down a lift shaft in Hong Kong's tallest skyscraper and the fourth tallest building in the world, police and local reports said.
ADVERTISEMENT

A police spokesman said emergency workers called to the International Commerce Centre in Kowloon's popular Tsim Sha Tsui area removed three injured workers, who were all certified dead on arrival at hospital.

Firemen later recovered the bodies of two other workers while another was thought to be missing.

According to local broadcaster RTHK, the workers were believed to have been working on a platform in a lift shaft on the 27th floor when it suddenly gave way and fell to the 10th floor.

The 118-floor skyscraper, developed by MTR Corporation and Sun Hung Kai Properties, is Hong Kong's tallest building and is due to open next year.

It is the fourth tallest building in the world after the Burj in Dubai, Taipei 101 in Taiwan and the Shanghai World Financial Centre.

Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang described the accident as serious and pledged to conduct a thorough investigation.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
The title is misleading. The workers fell down the lift shaft when the platform they were working on collapsed. There was no plunging lift.

Although I am no fan of China's political system, this seems to be another blatant case of China-bashing by the western media.

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
The title is misleading. The workers fell down the lift shaft when the platform they were working on collapsed. There was no plunging lift.

Although I am no fan of China's political system, this seems to be another blatant case of China-bashing by the western media.

The title is from Yahoo news.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
No idea why this is even news. This is an uncompleted project and in construction projects, it is common for industrial accidents. Would not be surprised if everyday you have such accidents happening even in industrialized countries.

Now if this were a fully functional building and we see such problems, then it is a concern.

Wow not bad have 4th tallest bldg in the world. Shanghai has one too.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Five dead after lift plunge in Hong Kong skyscraper
AFP - Monday, September 14

HONG KONG (AFP) - - Five workers died on Sunday after plunging more than a dozen floors down a lift shaft in Hong Kong's tallest skyscraper and the fourth tallest building in the world, police and local reports said.
ADVERTISEMENT

A police spokesman said emergency workers called to the International Commerce Centre in Kowloon's popular Tsim Sha Tsui area removed three injured workers, who were all certified dead on arrival at hospital.

Firemen later recovered the bodies of two other workers while another was thought to be missing.

According to local broadcaster RTHK, the workers were believed to have been working on a platform in a lift shaft on the 27th floor when it suddenly gave way and fell to the 10th floor.

The 118-floor skyscraper, developed by MTR Corporation and Sun Hung Kai Properties, is Hong Kong's tallest building and is due to open next year.

It is the fourth tallest building in the world after the Burj in Dubai, Taipei 101 in Taiwan and the Shanghai World Financial Centre.

Hong Kong Chief Executive Donald Tsang described the accident as serious and pledged to conduct a thorough investigation.

I think Hongkies would start to blame Donald. He was pretty good in the past but ever since he took the top job he seemed, from what I heard from friends there, to have faltered on his job performance. I still respect him though, especially when he initiated and worked hard to defend the Hong Kong dollar once from the attacks of those filthy currency speculators.

Still believe in ya Donald!

Z

Zombie

I said the title was misleading..........

Another version.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2009/09/14/2003453469

Monday, Sep 14, 2009, Page 5
■HONG KONG
Workers killed at skyscraper
At least three workers were killed yesterday when a lift in the territory’s tallest skyscraper plunged 22 floors, emergency workers said. The elevator in the 118-story International Commerce Center, which is still under construction, fell from the 30th floor to the eighth floor. Workers inside the lift shaft were struck as the lift plunged, and several were pulled unconscious and rushed to hospital, government-run radio station RTHK said. Preliminary reports said at least three people were killed. The 484m tower is to open next year. It will be Hong Kong’s tallest building and will have the third-_highest roof in the world after Burj Dubai and the Shanghai World Financial Center.

meaning
- workers on a platform built on the 8th floor inside the liftshaft?
- lift came down from 30th to 8th (down 22 floor) hitting those workers?
correct? :biggrin:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Couple months back I read about construction crane toppling over in NY City. Industrial accidents happen all the time. Perhaps it was a slow news day

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about the construction crane that toppled at a construction site in Telok Ayer St into the adjoining Telok Ayer Performing Arts Centre. Luckily it happened at 0530h in the morning and no one was hurt.

Couple months back I read about construction crane toppling over in NY City. Industrial accidents happen all the time. Perhaps it was a slow news day