• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Finding a job at a party gaining popularity in Singapore

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/421311/1/.html

By Tan Yew Guan, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 09 April 2009 2010 hrs

php2Syha3.jpg

Photos 1 of 1

Video

SINGAPORE: There's now a new way for the jobless to find a new job in Singapore and while they are at it, they can also drown their sorrows.

In America, to be given the pink slip means you are out of a job. But the Pink Slip Party in Singapore is the party to go for to find a new job.

But for some, it's a hush-hush issue. Organisers said many prefer not to be seen on camera as only about a quarter of the people in the party have the pink slip. The rest attended the party for greener pastures.

So those who braved the camera were people who had lost or are about to lose their jobs.

Former banker Daniel Lim said: "I got to know a lot of recruiters on a personal level. It's a good start."

Supermarket manager Trudy Fawcett said: “My boss is well aware that my contract ends in August. So there's no problem there."

Pink slip parties first started in the US after the dotcom crash. It's now the rage again thanks to the global financial meltdown.

In fact, organisers claim this party saw over 1,000 replies but only about 200 were invited.

So, what should you do at the party if you receive an invitation?

Linus Kan of Kelly Services said: "The candidates really need to be able to attract the recruiters in the first 30 seconds and be convincing about it."

Chris Mead, general manager (Singapore) at Hays Executive, said: "What some candidates have done is they make up their own name cards, which I think is a good thing. Obviously, you don't want to give a name card of a company you just left."

Organisers said the next Pink Slip Party will be held in the next two to three months. - CNA/vm