• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fallen Chinese leader reveals Tiananmen secrets

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fallen Chinese leader reveals Tiananmen secrets (May 14, 2009, AFP)
by Marianne Barriaux
Thu May 14, 11:52 am ET

BEIJING (AFP) – The memoir of a top Chinese leader who was deposed over his sympathy with 1989 pro-democracy protesters has been published ahead of the anniversary of the bloody Tiananmen crackdown he tried to prevent.

The disclosure of Zhao Ziyang's recollections could prove embarrassing to China ahead of the 20th anniversary of the June 4 crackdown on demonstrators that led to hundreds, possibly thousands, of deaths.

Zhao, who died in 2005 after more than 15 years under house arrest, secretly recorded his memoir on tapes and passed them on to friends, according to the book's preface by Adi Ignatius, also the editor of the Harvard Business Review.

"When Zhao died... some of the people who knew of the recordings launched a complex, clandestine effort to gather the materials in one place and then transcribe them for publication," Ignatius wrote.

In one extract from "Prisoner of the State," published in English by US firm Simon and Schuster, Zhao describes his feelings as tanks and soldiers moved towards Tiananmen Square to crush the protests, which had gone on for weeks.

"On the night of June 3rd, while sitting in the courtyard with my family, I heard intense gunfire," recalled Zhao, who was days away from being deposed as leader of the Communist Party.

"A tragedy to shock the world had not been averted, and was happening after all."

In another passage, Zhao relates a fateful meeting in May 1989 with China's then leader Deng Xiaoping and other members of the political elite, where the decision to impose martial law was taken, leading to the crackdown.

Zhao says Deng laid the blame for the escalation of student protests on him.

"Since there is no way to back down now without the situation spiralling completely out of control, the decision is to move troops into Beijing to impose martial law," he quoted Deng as saying.

"At that moment, I was extremely upset," Zhao said, according to the book, currently available in short supply in Hong Kong but unlikely to be legally published in mainland China.

"I told myself that no matter what, I refused to become the general secretary who mobilised the military to crack down on students."

Two days later, Zhao was last seen in public tearfully pleading with students on Tiananmen Square to call off their protests and go home, and one day after that, martial law was publicly declared.

Bao Tong, one of Zhao's closest aides who has variously been jailed, under house arrest or under restrictions since the Tiananmen crackdown, said the book would be crucial to provoke discussion of the events.

"Zhao Ziyang's voice still exists and cannot be silenced," he told AFP at his home in Beijing.

"The worst thing that can happen is that everything gets sealed up... and (the authorities) don't allow discussion of it. If they take this road, they will further stir the resentment of the people."

He said he had already read the manuscript of the book four times and listened to the tapes.

"There is no person other than Zhao who could have such a deep understanding of these matters," he said.

"This voice I heard every day for years. It's a little older now on the tapes and it has changed a bit, but it's his voice."

Bao's son Bao Pu, a Hong Kong-based publisher whose New Century Press firm is putting out the book in Chinese, said it was not supposed to come out until May 19, but distributors in Hong Kong had already put it on shelves.

He said he and his father were prepared for any potential negative consequences.

"It doesn't matter what happens, this needs to be published," he told AFP by phone.