• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fail-o-meter: Countries

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
(1)Iceland, (2)Ukraine, (3)Hungary are getting bailouts from IMF.

(4)Belarus and (5)Pakistan are in discussion.

5 so far and still counting.

Edited: for updates

Last edited:
C

cliffstyle

In the 97 crisis, it is the asian countries that need bail out, now is the ang mor.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 97 crisis, it is the asian countries that need bail out, now is the ang mor.

but these are Eastern Europe(with the exception of Iceland). so the world is still watching and not too concerned. if any of the western countries kanna, we will be in worse shit than now.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
(1)Iceland, (2)Ukraine, (3)Hungary are getting bailouts from IMF.

(4)Belarus and (5)Pakistan are in discussion.

5 so far and still counting.

Edited: for updates

WOW the japs are taking money out of all countries and put back in JAPAN
now yen is so high, my tokyo trip is now cancel.

bye bye japan.

yes i think i go to these failometer countries for holiday. and stretch my dollar.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you not happy Singapore is doing great?

Singapore does not remotely need a bailout because it has little borrowings. It has not leveraged itself financially but it has leveraged its future economically. (I intend to repeat again and again until it drums into people's head.)

* ridiculous over-construction in businesss and financial district, integrated resorts, shopping centres, offices, transport infrastructure, factories, housing, etc.
* bursting of over-inflated property values caused by over-speculation
* stale overseas investments at a fraction of its invested value
* an export market that is going to crash like a ton of rocks
* an over-churned financial market due to the conscientious nurturing of hedge funds, foreign funds, covered warrants, index futures, etc.
* outflow of hot funds previously procured from overseas under the aegis of private banking

I predict Singapore's GDP will decline by 9% in 2009.

If the world recession turns into a depression, then it is another story.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
South Africa, Poland, Turkey, Mexico, Columbia and South Korea are on the radar screen because the currencies of these countries have declined by more than 25%.

South Korea is worth a special mention because its currency and stockmarket lost more than 30% of their values.

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear moniker phouse3, some of the points listed are possible areas of concern, but a nimble and swift readjustment of the pricing and positioning could actually change those items to our favor decisively. Remember, if you have no infrastructure available when people are shopping, they look elsewhere.
Export composition will no doubt vary.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
MAS: Fed Swap Aimed To Reassure Singapore Financial Institutions
Wed, Oct 29 2008, 23:55 GMT
http://www.djnewswires.com/eu

MAS: Fed Swap Aimed To Reassure Singapore Financial Institutions

SINGAPORE -(Dow Jones)- Singapore's central bank Thursday said that the currency swap arrangement of US$30 billion with the U.S. Federal Reserve will boost liquidity conditions in the global financial markets and reassure Singapore's financial institutions on access to U.S. dollar liquidity.

"This is a precautionary measure to reassure financial institutions in Singapore, most of which have global operations, that they have access to U.S. dollar liquidity," the Monetary Authority of Singapore said in a statement.

Late Wednesday, the U.S. Fed announced a temporary reciprocal currency arrangements with four central banks - Singapore, South Korea, Brazil and Mexico - to improve liquidity in global financial markets.

"MAS judges that it is not necessary to draw on the swap facility at this time, but will continually assess the need as global conditions develop," the MAS statement said.

It said that the Singapore dollar market has sufficient liquidity to meet the needs of the banking system in the country and that the MAS is ready to inject additional liquidity if needed.

-Dow Jones Newswires

A swap facility means Singapore can borrow US$ and lend S$ at some pre-determined exchange rate. This usually happens when S$ is free-falling due to investors selling. At maturity, presumably when S$ has stabilised, Singapore will return the US$ and get back its S$.

This is a surprise move because I thought MAS was allowing S$ to fall to aid exporters. So I am putting Singapore in the fail-o-meter watch (note: just watch only) because it is now in the same league as Brazil, Mexico and S. Korea.