• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Expats Inside Out: Integrating into the Local Community

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
CALLING ALL SINGAPORE EXPATS – YOU ARE INVITED!!

siflogo.JPG

As most of my readers are no doubt aware, I have personally thrown myself and my family “boots and all” into integrating into the local Singapore community. I have done this by choosing to live in the heartlands, and creating a network of very close friends consisting predominately of local Singaporeans and their families. Many of the bonds we have formed will be life-lasting and we are extremely grateful and loyal to the caring local people who have opened up their lives and their country to us.

Over time, I have had numerous emails from a variety of people and nationalities, asking for my advice and to tap into my experiences. I apologise to those people to whom I have not yet responded. The upcoming SIF “Xpats Dialogue” will be a perfect opportunity to both meet up in person and also to partake in this very healthy panel discussion on integration into the local community. (Please be sure to drop me an email if and when you register, so I’ll know to look out for you).

sif_xpat_dialogue.jpg

The Singapore International Federation (SIF) “Xpats Dialogue” is a platform to promote interaction between the expatriate community in Singapore and members from the Singapore government, business sector, academia and civil society. The dialogue session seeks to engage expatriates of all nationalities in discussion with prominent personalities from relevant fields on pertinent issues.

Guest of Honour: Dr Lee Boon Yang, Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts

<center>
sifexpatsbanner2.jpg
</center>

Most expatriates have formed their own communities in Singapore while some have also become part of the larger Singapore community. Where do the cultures converge and where do they diverge? How can expatriates feel at home in Singapore?

SIF Xpats Dialogue: “Expats Inside Out: Integrating into the Local Community” will explore the issue of social integration and look at ways in which the expatriate community can and have made an impact in the local community.

[FULL DETAILS AND REGISTRATION INFORMATION HERE]

<center>
sifxpatsbanner1.jpg
</center>

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
hah? no need to integrate. they are masters we are slaves, there must always be an order, it is the way of the world.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats the beauty of being an expat or an FT, you guys get invited for dialogues where views are exchanged.

Unfortunately true blue Singaporeans , born, raised and served their national service here will probably have to migrate to get into a migrant welcome program of this sort.

Let us know what happenned. Usually Singaporeans receive instructions of some sort, but real pull of the bow where views, dialogues etc are concerned.

Once again, lucky you. Anyway, probably can't make it as I am due that time for reservist.

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats the beauty of being an expat or an FT, you guys get invited for dialogues where views are exchanged.

Unfortunately true blue Singaporeans , born, raised and served their national service here will probably have to migrate to get into a migrant welcome program of this sort.

Let us know what happenned. Usually Singaporeans receive instructions of some sort, but real pull of the bow where views, dialogues etc are concerned.

Once again, lucky you. Anyway, probably can't make it as I am due that time for reservist.

It is good that you know your allocated duty.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
As most of my readers are no doubt aware, I have personally thrown myself and my family “boots and all” into integrating into the local Singapore community. I have done this by choosing to live in the heartlands, and creating a network of very close friends consisting predominately of local Singaporeans and their families. Many of the bonds we have formed will be life-lasting and we are extremely grateful and loyal to the caring local people who have opened up their lives and their country to us.

Ask yourself honestly Pete.... Which country treats foreigners better than her own sons and daughters?

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
How i wish i can be an ang moh for just one day. go to Pubs/bars, girls hit on me and "love me long time", go to restuarant sit where i want, not happy can shout at mata even, indians always greet me with a smile. all my dreams can be fulfilled in just one day

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Ozzie Pete:

Does "expat" here also include foreign maids and construction workers? Or does it only encompass "elite" professionals? The photo depicts a rather well-dressed crowd. Just curious.

Cheers!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pete
You don't strike me as a feral or a bogan and from your past postings, I am hoping that you were not yanking our chain or just taking the piss out of us. This was in the post registration portion and I am hoping that you inadvertently missed the part.

This dialogue is open to expatriates in Singapore, and no fee is required for participation. To register, please email your name, contact number and nationality to Ms Dorothy Chai at [email protected] or call 6837 8732 by 7 Nov 2008.

As this is predominently a local site with a local content flavour that is open to all, it looks pretty much out of place.

No issues if you are just seeking hits for your site, just that its quite personal with us locals and the guy with the mandate in the Istana. You guys are pretty much welcome.

If you want to know how the local Feedback Unit works, just drop us a line.

ps, still keen on finding what actually happenned during the session. It's akin to listening to the BBC in a clandestine manner during the Japanese occupation.

jw5

Loyal
How i wish i can be an ang moh for just one day. go to Pubs/bars, girls hit on me and "love me long time", go to restuarant sit where i want, not happy can shout at mata even, indians always greet me with a smile. all my dreams can be fulfilled in just one day
You can always dye your mor ang. :smile:

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
This reminds me of how my foreign friends were invited to a 'forum' by MOE on improving our education system. I asked them WTF will MOE invite them when it's us locals who went through the system and know its faults. They said according to MOE, getting foreigners who come from a different system will give a fresh perspective. :oIo:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This reminds me of how my foreign friends were invited to a 'forum' by MOE on improving our education system. I asked them WTF will MOE invite them when it's us locals who went through the system and know its faults. They said according to MOE, getting foreigners who come from a different system will give a fresh perspective. :oIo:

That's how they will get praises and thumbs up on my 'fine and first class education system' vis-a-vis locals who only laugh and scorn at it :biggrin:

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pete
You don't strike me as a feral or a bogan and from your past postings, I am hoping that you were not yanking our chain or just taking the piss out of us. This was in the post registration portion and I am hoping that you inadvertently missed the part.

This dialogue is open to expatriates in Singapore, and no fee is required for participation. To register, please email your name, contact number and nationality to Ms Dorothy Chai at [email protected] or call 6837 8732 by 7 Nov 2008.

As this is predominently a local site with a local content flavour that is open to all, it looks pretty much out of place.

No issues if you are just seeking hits for your site, just that its quite personal with us locals and the guy with the mandate in the Istana. You guys are pretty much welcome.

If you want to know how the local Feedback Unit works, just drop us a line.

ps, still keen on finding what actually happenned during the session. It's akin to listening to the BBC in a clandestine manner during the Japanese occupation.

Gidday scroobal - mate, absolutely not trying to take the piss. My apologies for any confusion, and missing this little 'nugget' in the registration info. Having said that, given the focus of the SIF and what they're trying to achieve, coupled with the tone and content of the email from their organizer that I received, I would be surprised if local were not welcome. Let me go back to the organizers and check and come back to you.

Would certainly feel comfortable attending with any of my local friends - let me know if you really are interested in attending also - if not, I'll be sure to debrief the sammyboy forum on the discussions.

I am very, very keen on understanding more of what goes on, so let's also touch base offline from here.

Once again, sincerest apologies for any confusion, was not in any way trying to mislead or yank anyone's chain. Cheers mate. :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gidday scroobal - mate, absolutely not trying to take the piss. My apologies for any confusion, and missing this little 'nugget' in the registration info. Having said that, given the focus of the SIF and what they're trying to achieve, coupled with the tone and content of the email from their organizer that I received, I would be surprised if local were not welcome. Let me go back to the organizers and check and come back to you.

Would certainly feel comfortable attending with any of my local friends - let me know if you really are interested in attending also - if not, I'll be sure to debrief the sammyboy forum on the discussions.

I am very, very keen on understanding more of what goes on, so let's also touch base offline from here.

Once again, sincerest apologies for any confusion, was not in any way trying to mislead or yank anyone's chain. Cheers mate. :smile:

No worries buddy, knew from your past postings that you probably missed it.

I was very surprised that a Govt body would actually open such an event to the locals thus my check on the registration details. Its something that we grew up with, so we know the norms.

The order of things in this country revolves around a chosen lot. We grew up with them, went to school with them and we worked with them and so we know who they are.

Enjoy the country, there are some truly beautiful people here.