• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Economic Collapse: SG Retail Sales Plunged 14.8%

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore’s Retail Sales Fall Most in Decade Amid Recession

By Shamim Adam

March 13 (Bloomberg) -- Singapore’s retail sales fell the most in a decade in January as consumers purchased fewer cars, household and luxury goods amid a deepening economic slump.

The retail sales index dropped 12.2 percent from a year earlier, after declining 1.6 percent in December, the Statistics Department said today. That compares with the median forecast for a 2 percent contraction in a Bloomberg News survey of nine economists. Adjusted for seasonal factors, sales fell 9.9 percent from December.

Singapore’s Minister Mentor Lee Kwan Yew predicts the economy may contract as much as 10 percent this year if exports continue to plunge. Job losses may rise in 2009 and reach numbers not seen since a regional financial crisis a decade ago as the Southeast Asian nation goes through its worst recession, the government has said.

“We expect consumer sentiment to be very weak for the rest of the year,” said Alvin Liew, an economist at Standard Chartered Plc in Singapore. “Declining tourist arrivals will also add to the woes of the retail sector here.”

Singapore Press Holdings Ltd., the city-state’s largest newspaper publisher, yesterday said it will cut wages and bonuses of 3,000 employees and freeze hiring to reduce cost. Singapore may lose 99,000 jobs by 2010 because of the recession, driving the unemployment rate to 5 percent by the middle of next year, DBS Bank Ltd. said in a Feb. 25 report.

Retail-sale volumes in January decreased 14.8 percent from a year earlier after removing the effect of higher prices, the government said today.

Vehicle sales in January slid 31.7 percent from the same month in 2008. From December, auto sales dropped 15.6 percent, without adjusting for seasonal factors. Purchases of apparel and footwear fell 8.8 percent while sales of furniture and household equipment declined 19.3 percent from a year earlier.

Sales at gas stations slipped 17.9 percent in January from a year earlier amid lower oil prices.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ho seh liao !!! ......... waiting for the BIG BIG MEGA LELONG LELONG CLOSING DOWN SALES to commence !!!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ho seh liao !!! ......... waiting for the BIG BIG MEGA LELONG LELONG CLOSING DOWN SALES to commence !!!

No worry lah!, our government vision is very good...the F1 plus the Marina Bay IR which WILL OPEN at the end of 2009, plus the GREAT SALE OF SINGAPORE, ha ha ha oops!, Great Singapore Sales; will boost the retail sales, propery sales, rentals....& LIFT SINgapore out of the recession.

We will soar like a phoenix from the fire...( more like a dinosaur :biggrin:):p

Kindly, read their lisp, and hear the words of wisdom....we will SOAR!:wink:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let see how is the IT show report total sales in next week news. Many just go there window shopping only.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let see how is the IT show report total sales in next week news. Many just go there window shopping only.

People who go there are looking to buy, why else go through the hassle of those crowds. I went there on the first day, took a quick look & made my purchase :rolleyes:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no worries ...

can buy in france after completing ze french cooking cos ...

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah very bad, but it will get worse.

a lot of shops will close down.

turning singapore into a ghosttown

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People who go there are looking to buy, why else go through the hassle of those crowds. I went there on the first day, took a quick look & made my purchase :rolleyes:

Me just buy some accessories. Total less than $50. Buy need to pay ERP and parking fee total $8. Really not worth it going there because the price is about same as normal. Average product discount 5%~10%.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
HWZ forumer Qwerty88 pics.

DSCF0383.jpg

DSCF0389.jpg

DSCF0385.jpg

DSCF0394-1.jpg

DSCF0393.jpg

Where got sales plunge???

:o :biggrin: :o

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Me just buy some accessories. Total less than $50. Buy need to pay ERP and parking fee total $8. Really not worth it going there because the price is about same as normal. Average product discount 5%~10%.

Yeah, read some complaints in fuckwarezone that this year deals are not very good. Some prices are more exp than SLS. Taking a cab is cheaper especially when parking is so limited.

I was looking for months for a monitor & finally bought one from the Samsung booth(Fullwell). A 24" for Less than $400 with height, pivot, tilt adj. It was a new model from Samsung & first time I've seen being sold in Spore.

Saw many people buying printers, so must be good deals in printers.

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
no point squeezing with fellow lesser mortals, after IT show Asus will still sell EEE PC at $738, local businessmen throw offers all fake one...

Lion_Barbell

Alfrescian
Loyal
no point squeezing with fellow lesser mortals, after IT show Asus will still sell EEE PC at $738, local businessmen throw offers all fake one...

Last year I was overseas so missed out on the IT show.
When I came back 2 weeks after the show and went to the dealer, he sold me the laptop at the same promotional price that was offered at the IT show :biggrin: So this year I am not going to squeeze with the crowd because I know I will still be able to get my stuff after the IT show at the same promotional price :wink:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good time for pickpockets.

:biggrin: :o :biggrin:

Always good time for any criminal lah. Our authorities have made it clear their "civil matter" attitude :rolleyes:

We will never know about any pickpocket cases. So if you see any bodies lieing around don't forget to report to this forum:smile:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Last year I was overseas so missed out on the IT show.
When I came back 2 weeks after the show and went to the dealer, he sold me the laptop at the same promotional price that was offered at the IT show :biggrin: So this year I am not going to squeeze with the crowd because I know I will still be able to get my stuff after the IT show at the same promotional price :wink:
u r rite ...

u can get ze same items @ ze same price @ sls or funan after ze it show ... dey may pretend n say cannot la, but u can oways tok wif dem ...

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was there during office hour on thursday afternoon to get some stuffs for company.
It was so crowed and surrounded by many foreigners PRC,Myanmar, Indo etc.
I cant even get near the store to place orders.
:biggrin: