• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Driver fined just RM22,800 for killing woman

M

Masamune Date

Driver fined just RM22,800 for killing woman

The New Paper
Published Nov 1 2010

killedmain.jpg

Mok, 76 (left) was killed by a careless driver. While her husband sustained some injuries from the accident. Image source: TNP

Sales manager Ng Jui Chuan, 34, hit an elderly couple when he lost control of his car after nodding off at the wheel at Upper Thomson Road, Singapore in November 2009. His carelessness killed Mok Sow Loon, 76 and injured her husband, Wee Song Mong, 76, who were on their way to church. But Ng, who has an MBA from the UK, was fined only $9,500 (RM22,800) and disqualified from driving for three years last Thursday.

He had claimed trial to one charge each of causing death through a rash act and causing hurt through a rash act. His lawyer argued that Ng did not think he would fall asleep when he went behind the wheel. Hence, his decision to drive did not amount to a rash act. Ng was later convinced of the lesser charge of negligence.

Tests at Traffic Police headquarters also showed that Ng's alcohol content was within the legal limit. Ng has made an apology since, saying, “There were times I felt I was a complete failure. I know I cannot make amends, but I want to tell Mr. Wee that I’m so sorry for what I’ve done.”

But Paul Wee, 40, the couple’s son, said the family would not accept the apology. "None of us has been to any of the hearings as we don't want to know anything about that man. We just want to move on with our lives.” Paul, who works in the IT industry, added that his father’s health has deteriorated rapidly after the accident and he now works from home to take care of him.

The 15-minute walk to church was something the couple did every Sunday at dawn for the past four decades. They were married for 44 years. For causing death through a negligent act, Ng could have been jailed two years and fined. For causing hurt through a negligent act, he could have been jailed six months and fined $2,500 (RM6000).