• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Don't pass on high costs of Circle Line

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Don't pass on high costs of Circle Line
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to last Thursday's report, 'Train fares likely to match NEL's'. It was mentioned that fares for the upcoming Circle Line will be higher because it is completely underground and fully automated with driverless trains.
I can understand why fares are higher if the entire Circle Line is underground. But can SMRT explain why fully automated and driverless trains cost more? This may be due to the initial high cost of installing the automated system, but is this not a cost-saving measure in the long run?
Let us assume that SMRT is justified in passing on the initial high cost to passengers. But then, will it give rebates to passengers when the system starts bringing in cost savings? I doubt so.
If automation costs so much, why not employ the traditional system of drivers, which is now in place on the North-South and East-West lines? Besides, this will create more job opportunities when we are going through this economic downturn.
Transport is an integral part of everyday life and so the average citizen is deeply concerned about transport costs.
The Government encourages us to take public transport to reduce the number of cars on the road. Hence, should the Land Transport Authority and public transport operators not work together to come up with measures to ease the burden of higher transport costs? Jason Chua

mightyfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bravo!! One good example is Japan. Despite how modern and advance the place is, it's metro is still those tradittional types with driver operating them. Really, why waste tax payers money for such novelty?? Does it improve the comfort of commuters? Does the train go faster so we can reach our destination earlier? If fast, how fast, does it justify the cost? If it doesn't benefit commuters, it's ridiculous why we have to bear the costs for it.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
When they privatise all these companies, their sole aim is to make money out of selling essential product to ppl.

Now you ask them not to pass the cost to consumer ? As i want to borrow a phrase from LKY "Do you want to bankrupt singapore" ?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes ,that happen in Japan. Why ? Becos the goverment is elected by it own ppl to serve the ppl.

Here in SIngapore, PAP screw you , left right centre ......... Singapore citizen still vote for PAP ! Here in Singapore ,you don get a goverment who serve the people , unless the ppl has the balls to vote them out !

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY will say NO FREE LUNCH,,,,

Who will absorb the cost? the nation or the people using the line?

Wanna increase GST?

Well, we must get someone to pay for the higher cost.

Aiya, if too expensive, dun take la, you think the govt care a?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
gov should take some of the money they suck from car drivers in singapore, high tax, high coe, high road tax, high fuel cost, all the money they steal from the drivers and fund the public transportation. Like circle line.

what a greedy gov.
they just want to take and take .

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
you guys think the govt still have the funds after the 31-41% temasick/Gic fiasco?

no money liao, so use any reason to increase revenue la,,,,,,

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sure they still have money, if they dun have money. then you will see a few things, singapore dollars collapse with reference to amercian dollars.
property price crash. very high jobless rate.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bravo!! One good example is Japan. Despite how modern and advance the place is, it's metro is still those tradittional types with driver operating them. Really, why waste tax payers money for such novelty?? Does it improve the comfort of commuters? Does the train go faster so we can reach our destination earlier? If fast, how fast, does it justify the cost? If it doesn't benefit commuters, it's ridiculous why we have to bear the costs for it.

And the worst thing is that they still need to assign one backpack carrying staff to jaga each of these "driverless" trains!

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to last Thursday's report, 'Train fares likely to match NEL's'. It was mentioned that fares for the upcoming Circle Line will be higher because it is completely underground and fully automated with driverless trains.
I can understand why fares are higher if the entire Circle Line is underground. But can SMRT explain why fully automated and driverless trains cost more? This may be due to the initial high cost of installing the automated system, but is this not a cost-saving measure in the long run?
Let us assume that SMRT is justified in passing on the initial high cost to passengers. But then, will it give rebates to passengers when the system starts bringing in cost savings? I doubt so.
If automation costs so much, why not employ the traditional system of drivers, which is now in place on the North-South and East-West lines? Besides, this will create more job opportunities when we are going through this economic downturn.
Transport is an integral part of everyday life and so the average citizen is deeply concerned about transport costs.
The Government encourages us to take public transport to reduce the number of cars on the road. Hence, should the Land Transport Authority and public transport operators not work together to come up with measures to ease the burden of higher transport costs? Jason Chua

Besides your good points Jason, there is one more.

Public transport like buses and mrt DO NOT have any practical alternative.

So higher transport costs is truly a burden.

Not a one-time burden.

But a continuous burden.

Of course, that also means a continuous income to SMRT.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

you can even eat and drink in japanese train, but you cannot use the mobile.

mightyfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can still use your mobile phones actually. It's only at designated seats for the elderly that there are signage asking you to switch off your mobile. But you can still use it, nobody is going to fine you or stop you. That's the beauty of the train station in japan. I've been working and staying here for almost one year already and I have never seen a "fine" signage anywhere or train station staff stopping commuters from using mobile phones. I can now truly understand why Singapore is uniquely a "fine" city. Even though it is not a common sight, I do see japanese people eat, drink and use their phones in the train, and nobody will batt an eyelid and nobody will stare at you. Just make sure you talk softly on the phone and don't make disgusting noise when you eat or drink. And despite all this, the interior of the train is still very clean. I hardly see any litter at all.

This is the mark of a truly civilised society. I wonder how long it will take us to reach there.

But then again, the fare here for the train is higher compared to sg... but their seats are all cushioned which is really comfortable to sit on. I would rather the sg government invest in improvement like this then having driverless trains.

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heard that the Circle Line MRT only have 3 cart/train mean than will be shorter by halt. Very soon it will be overload if all CIrcle Link completed.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why bother asking them not to pass the costs:eek:

They have already decided to proceed with the circle line & its now almost completed. Expect them to cut back on the buses to ensure there is demand for this expensive mode of transport.

When LKY ups the lorry, he will leave behing his little paradise with high overheads. Spore will have problems competing with places like KL & BKK :rolleyes:

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TV2009030418454800.jpg

KNN! Might as well let you Peasants ride free and up GST to 20%! I Msian FT OK? Donch main main with me hor! *chey*

funglung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even when the costs are low you can be sure that bastard LKY and his stinking cockroaches in white will jack up the price to all of us.

HOW ELSE DID LKY GOT 400-500++ BILLIONS INTO TEMASICK AND GIC?

LKY SCREWED ALL OF US AND STOLEN OUR FUTURES WITH HIS BULLYING AND USING HIS KANGAROO JUDGES ON ALL OF US

Sinkies got no balls
You all dare not stand with those that tried to speak for you.
You all dare not give money to them so that they can work for you.
You all dare not support them publicly so that they can speak for you.

You all turn your backs on those that spoke out bravely against LKY
LKY hit out at those who tried to speak for you with his kangaroo courts
You turn your backs and not support them with money and courage.

You let them be beaten and bankrupted because you all have no balls

Why complain now?

Your 400-500++ billions sucked and bled into LKY Temasick and GIC

And even more billions are currently sucked and bled so that LKY can use those money to bastardised and pay his kangaroo courts and running dogs to bleed even more billions from you in future

You got what you all deserved
for your lack of balls

FIND YOUR BALLS TO PUT AN END TO LKY

or open your legs to be further screwed by him