• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Don't over rely on foreigners

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_383606.html

Don't over rely on foreigners

Cedric-B.jpg

Mr Cedric Foo (left) made the point that Singapore cannot depend on an ever-increasing pool of manpower - one fuelled by increasing the number of foreign workers here. -- PHOTO: BUSINESS TIMES

AN F1 car's engine has a capacity of 2,4000cc, about the same as a high-end Toyota Camry model.
But while the Camry's engine generates 167 horsepower - a measure of how powerful a car is - the F1 car has 700hp and can reach top speeds of more than 400km an hour.

This is because the F1 car does not rely just on engine size, but on other factors such as better fuel systems and boosters to improve performance, Mr Cedric Foo (West Coast GRC) noted on Friday, using the car as an analogy for the economy.

His point: For Singapore's economy to grow, it cannot depend on an ever-increasing pool of manpower - one that is fuelled by increasing the number of foreign workers here.

It must find 'new levers' to push, he said, on the last day of the debate on President SR Nathan's speech at the opening of the latest session of Parliament.

Mr Foo's argument was similar to Manpower Minister Gan Kim Yong's reminder on Friday that there are limits to the overall size of Singapore's workforce.

'There is a natural limit to the size of the local workforce. There are also limits to the size of the foreign workforce given the constraints on our infrastructure and critical resources such as land,' he said. 'We should not become overly dependent on foreign workers.'

Another downside of being too reliant on foreign workers, according to Mr Foo, is that it reduces the urgency and motivation for local industries to upgrade and improve on productivity.

According to Manpower Ministry figures, there are about 1.05million foreigners in Singapore's workforce. Most of them - about 870,000 - are unskilled work permit holders, such as those who work in construction and domestic helpers.

Mr Gan said his ministry would support the newly-formed Economic Strategies Committee (ESC) in studying the issue of managing resources such as manpower.

Read the full story in Saturday's edition of The Straits Times.

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Finally, there is a PAP MP that speaks up against having too many foreign trash. We have too many ministers like Wooden Goh, Old Fart, Lim Suay Suay and Gan Pig that keep on embracing the need for foreign trash and thinking that if there were no foreign trash, I worry for Singapore. He has some concerns that the transport, education, healthcare services and other infrastructure being overstretched foreign trash. Employing too foreign trash also lower productivity and morale. If their main aim of employing foreign trash is to keep cost down and depress our salary, then Singaporean will family to feed and mortgage loans to pay will also give half past six work since his pay is peanuts. These trash also squeeze and compete with Singaporeans with executive work.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to Manpower Ministry figures, there are about 1.05million foreigners in Singapore's workforce. Most of them - about 870,000

So back then I was not wrong . Finally they admitted .

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I don't know why MPs only start bringing up the topic of FThrash now

The problem has been festering for the past 3 years and has already done damage to the careers of young sinkaporeans

So where were Cedric Foo or Gan Kim Yong then? Did they know what was going on? Or maybe they were just busy collecting rent during Golden Period?

sta1100

Alfrescian
Loyal
They want FT is that all the $$$ collected from work permit will go to goverment, if they hire local $$$ will go to their pocket/CPF governent get nothing.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
If u r not aiming for scholarship, there is no need to study so hard untill u get anxiety disorders. Utimately, when u go for job interviews, to a large extent, whether u get the job depends on how low you can accept your wages as compared to those expected by foreign trash even though u may be 5 times more qualified and competent.

bfxblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those who work in MNC will know what is foreign talent about. Just open mouth talk only and WE singaporeans do the dirty work and realise their dream! While these foreigners get 3 times more our pay!

Why do we need them here?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually, camry engine can last a lifetime - 20 years and more, but F1 engine run at high rev, which last only 1 race, and need engine overhaul.

The difference is not better fuel and booster, it is operation design of engine lifetime of a few hours vs 20 years.

So if you tell Nagoya Japan Engineer, that camry only last 1 day, a lot of sinkies will die hugging trees.

AN F1 car's engine has a capacity of 2,4000cc, about the same as a high-end Toyota Camry model.
But while the Camry's engine generates 167 horsepower - a measure of how powerful a car is - the F1 car has 700hp and can reach top speeds of more than 400km an hour.

This is because the F1 car does not rely just on engine size, but on other factors such as better fuel systems and boosters to improve performance, Mr Cedric Foo (West Coast GRC) noted on Friday, using the car as an analogy for the economy.

UseYourBrain

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dont be flattered. FT is in the menu for another 100 yrs. The msg was not what the title says but is to send a subliminal msg that you guys are low quality, low efficiency, weak machine and old stock horses with lower HP. Once you accept this theory, you will be led like a lamb. Darwin successfully did this strategy by saying human comes from ape. Once acceted ppl will think they are stupid and decendant of monkeys so the jews r the chosen one...hence u see the jews now control mankind and worship them in literally form of their life Your turf was the old Bkt Timah Turf while the new high tech turf needs a better high HP horses. Even all aspect of you being equal to the FT. You are no match to them, new hybrid designed for greedy politicians. He is trying to echo what his gang said b4...but in a technical terms...that you guys are poor stocks and lower mortals with an expiry date ..get it?

bfxblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
these people who buy in to FT, don't forget where they come from .. same poor stocks and lower mortals with an expiry date , if they remember their roots

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

How about improving the performance of the PM's office by relying on better productivity and kicking out the freakin deadwood that has been hanging around forever!:eek:

<table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%" height="100%"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="130"><td align="left" valign="center" width="64"> </td><td align="left" valign="center" width="94">
PrimeMinisterLee1.jpg
</td><td align="left" valign="center" width="390">Prime Minister
Mr LEE Hsien Loong</td><td colspan="2" align="left" valign="center" width="143"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#efeeee" height="130"><td align="left" valign="center" width="64"> </td><td align="left" valign="center" width="94"> </td><td align="right" valign="center" width="390">Senior Minister
Mr GOH Chok Tong</td><td align="right" valign="center" width="85">
SM.jpg
</td><td align="left" valign="center" width="58"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="130"><td align="left" valign="center" width="64"> </td><td align="left" valign="center" width="94">
c_smlee1.jpg
</td><td align="left" valign="center" width="390">Minister Mentor
Mr LEE Kuan Yew</td><td colspan="2" align="left" valign="center" width="143"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#efeeee" height="130"><td align="left" valign="center" width="64"> </td><td align="left" valign="center" width="94"> </td><td align="right" valign="center" width="390">Senior Minister and
Co-ordinating Minister for National Security
Prof S. JAYAKUMAR</td><td align="right" valign="center" width="85">
c_pjaya1.jpg
</td><td align="left" valign="center" width="58"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff" height="130"><td align="left" valign="center" width="64"> </td><td align="left" valign="center" width="94">
DPM.jpg
</td><td align="left" valign="center" width="390">Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Home Affairs
Mr WONG Kan Seng</td><td colspan="2" align="left" valign="center" width="143"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#efeeee" height="130"><td align="left" valign="center" width="64"> </td><td align="left" valign="center" width="94"> </td><td align="right" valign="center" width="390">Deputy Prime Minister and
Minister for Defence
Mr TEO Chee Hean</td><td align="right" valign="center" width="85">
TeoCheeHean.jpg
GeorgeYeo.jpg
</td><td align="left" valign="center" width="390">Minister for Foreign Affairs
Mr George Yong-Boon YEO</td><td colspan="2" align="left" valign="center" width="143"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#efeeee" height="130"><td align="left" valign="center" width="64"> </td><td align="left" valign="center" width="94"> </td><td align="right" valign="center" width="390">Minister for National Development
Mr MAH Bow Tan</td><td align="right" valign="center" width="85">
MINISTERMAHBOWTAN.jpg
LimBoonHeng2.jpg
</td><td align="left" valign="center" width="390">Minister, Prime Minister's Office
Mr LIM Boon Heng</td><td colspan="2" align="left" valign="center" width="143"> </td></tr><tr bgcolor="#efeeee" height="130"><td align="left" valign="center" width="64"> </td><td align="left" valign="center" width="94"> </td><td align="right" valign="center" width="390">Minister for Trade and Industry
Mr LIM Hng Kiang</td><td align="right" valign="center" width="85">
LimHngKiang2.jpg
LimSweeSay.JPG
</td><td align="left" valign="center" width="390">Minister, Prime Minister's Office
Mr LIM Swee Say</td></tr></tbody></table>

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Leongsam, I think Old Fart, Wooden Goh, Wong Cunt Sing and Jeyakumar should retired. All deadwood past their expiry date and also mould infested.

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote : A/Prof. LEE Wei Ling

Straits Times 30th July 2008
I dislike intensely the elitist attitude of some in our upper socio-economic class. I have been accused of reverse snobbery because I tend to avoid the wealthy who flaunt their wealth ostentatiously or do not help the less fortunate members of our society.
I treat all people I meet as equals, be it a truck driver friend or a patient and friend who belongs to the richest family in Singapore.
I appraise people not by their usefulness to me but by their character. I favour those with integrity, compassion and courage. I feel too many among us place inordinate emphasis on academic performance, job status, appearance and presentation.

'Listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story,' the Desiderata tells us. It is advice we should all heed - especially leaders, especially doctors.
I speak out when I see something wrong that no one appears to be trying to correct. Not infrequently, I try to right the wrong. In doing so, I have stepped on the sensitive toes of quite a few members of the establishment. As a result, I have been labelled 'anti-establishment'. Less kind comments include: 'She dares to do so because she has a godfather'.
I am indifferent to these untrue criticisms; I report to my conscience; and I would not be able to face myself if I knew that there was a wrong that I could have righted but failed to do so. I have no protective godfather. My father, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, would not interfere with any disciplinary measures that might be meted out to me.
And I am not anti-establishment. I am proud of what Singapore has achieved. But I am not a mouthpiece of the government. I am capable of independent thought and I can view problems or issues from a perspective that others may have overlooked.

After all, both the Bible and Confucius tell us not to treat others in a way that we ourselves would not want to be treated. That is a moral precept that many societies accept in theory, but do not carry out in practice.
I wish Singapore could be an exception in this as it has been in many other areas where we have surprised others with our success.

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote :NGIAM Tong Dow, Ex Civil Servant

Because now the world talks about global competition and a knowledge based economy.
How do you become a knowledge based economy except through science and technology ?
As a result, if the cream of the education system goes into Shenton Way instead of the technology and industrial parks,
I think we are done for.

By slotting, by training our elite in just a limited number of institutions,
We are missing something because the world is not so simple.
But in Singapore's case we seem to have inverted it, so the top 5 per cent support this huge mass of people.
I think something has got to give.
It's like a top spinning. If the economy is spinning very fast, the equilibrium is maintained;
but the moment it slows down, all the social divisions will emerge.
The world is what you make of it. So you just go out,
grab opportunities, grab education and help to build the nation of Singapore.
I never regret. I've made mistakes, yes, but no regrets.
Don't look back. Look to the future. I'm an optimist. I'm not a pessimist.
I quoted Dr. Winsemius :
You soak in the pond, When the sun is shining and the water is below your nose,
you think everything is hunky-dory.
But the moment the water reaches the nose, you think it's all gloom and doom.
Singapore has no sense of balance.
You swing from euphoria to depression.

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometimes,it is not whether want to rely on them or not but force to,cos certain jobs,no locals want to do it.

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote : CHIAM See Tong

The most important thing is that you have to respect an individual,
whether he's got six Cs or six As and whether he's a brain surgeon or a dustman.
I think we should give him the same respect. If you don't give respect to your own citizens,
I think you condemn them forever.

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote : Philip Yeo

人才是否对新加坡有归属感,关键在于新加坡是否重视他们。这是我的信念。
“你如果在这里受到重视,这就是你的家园。新加坡人,
特别是新加坡的高层领导应该对他们感到骄傲,
赋予他们机会和责任去建设未来的新加坡。新加坡必须是由新加坡人打造的。”

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote : Guy Kawasaki

Israel has five million people, six million entrepreneurs and 15 million opinions.
Singapore has five million people, six entrepreneurs and one opinion.