• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Don't codeswitch to Singlish, please

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IT MAY seem like good manners to turn on the Singlish when communicating with a countryman who can speak only the patois, but think again.
You are doing him a disservice, not a favour, because his language skills will never improve, said the chairman of the Speak Good English movement (SGEM), Mr Goh Eck Kheng.
When speakers of standard English codeswitch to a non-standard form, poor speakers will think there is no need to increase their proficiency.
Codeswitching is actually condescending, akin to talking down to someone, Mr Goh added.
He hopes to cultivate speaking good English as the norm.
"Immersing Singaporeans who cannot speak English well in this environment will give them the incentive to speak good English all the time. It's like sending them to London or New York where generally there's a good English-speaking environment.?
There are three groups being targeted: Singaporeans who can speak standard English, those who cannot but want to, and those who speak bad English but see no need to improve.
The movement wants those in the first group to be role models, and will help the second group by providing more resources.
As for the third, it hopes to change their mindsets through its public awareness campaign and with the help of standard speakers.
Ex-national debater Jonathan Pflug felt role models would not work - not because the idea is bad, but because Singaporeans will not bother when it comes to simple actions like ordering hawker food. "When you interact with people in daily life, those interactions are just functional. I don't think people think of them as educational opportunities," he said.
Another reason could be the homely familiarity of Singlish.
"It's comfortable, and you can express a lot of things colloquially which may not have the same impact or meaning as English," said Mr Gaurav Keerthi, president of the local chapter of the Debating Association.
English schoolteacher Anne Lua felt speaking Singlish to speakers of bad English is not condescending, but a case of "building rapport".
She said: "If I speak in proper English to hawkers, they may think I'm showing off or better than them. That may affect service and people's self-esteem."

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that the worst disservice and contamination to proper English are inflicted by parents who are not really fluent in English, but insist on speaking to their children in their so-called English. For example, "ah boy, take this go," "ah girl, take that come."

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
IT MAY seem like good manners to turn on the Singlish when communicating with a countryman who can speak only the patois, but think again.
You are doing him a disservice, not a favour, because his language skills will never improve, said the chairman of the Speak Good English movement (SGEM), Mr Goh Eck Kheng.
When speakers of standard English codeswitch to a non-standard form, poor speakers will think there is no need to increase their proficiency.
Codeswitching is actually condescending, akin to talking down to someone, Mr Goh added.
"Immersing Singaporeans who cannot speak English well in this environment will give them the incentive to speak good English all the time. It's like sending them to London or New York where generally there's a good English-speaking environment.?
There are three groups being targeted: Singaporeans who can speak standard English, those who cannot but want to, and those who speak bad English but see no need to improve.
The movement wants those in the first group to be role models, and will help the second group by providing more resources.
As for the third, it hopes to change their mindsets through its public awareness campaign and with the help of standard speakers.
Ex-national debater Jonathan Pflug felt role models would not work - not because the idea is bad, but because Singaporeans will not bother when it comes to simple actions like ordering hawker food. "When you interact with people in daily life, those interactions are just functional. I don't think people think of them as educational opportunities," he said.
"It's comfortable, and you can express a lot of things colloquially which may not have the same impact or meaning as English," said Mr Gaurav Keerthi, president of the local chapter of the Debating Association.
English schoolteacher Anne Lua felt speaking Singlish to speakers of bad English is not condescending, but a case of "building rapport".
She said: "If I speak in proper English to hawkers, they may think I'm showing off or better than them. That may affect service and people's self-esteem."
Dear Mr. Goh, there are more things in life to be concerned about like PRC serving the public including Singaporeans who can't understand Mandarin.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... "Immersing Singaporeans who cannot speak English well in this environment will give them the incentive to speak good English all the time. It's like sending them to London or New York where generally there's a good English-speaking environment.? ...
tcss in sbf lagi betta ... :rolleyes:

u dun put a hot potato in ur mouth wen u speak, can oredi ...

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It is up to us to decide what we want to do and how we should speak. ANd it is not for him to say what we should do.

Why do these govt people like to tell citizen what they should do. The whole Sg dun revolve ard them.

omega

Alfrescian
Loyal
People codeswitch just to get better service, cheaper price, etc

I downgrade my English to the reno contractor, my reno $8000 cheaper than the neighbour who insist on displaying his flawless English. :biggrin:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Mr. Goh, there are more things in life to be concerned about like PRC serving the public including Singaporeans who can't understand Mandarin.

Seriously, I don't care who serves me. If the PRC is going to cut the cost of the hawker and keep my cost down, let him be there, by all means.

WOOHOO

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's totally about upbringing and culture the parents should set theexanple kids are blameless and ignorant. they will only follow as they are great learners

david

Alfrescian
Loyal

If gahment don't show those local made Singlish shows, there won't be any need to codeswitch

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

hi there makapaaa,

your cut and paste article is out of alignment...