• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Donate blood? Sure, but...

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/Health/News/Story/A1Story20090514-141281.html

Thu, May 14, 2009
my paper

20090514.105625_blood-donation.jpg

Donate blood? Sure, but...

By Cheryl Chia

SINGAPOREANS are not as individualistic as some people think, revealed a my paper street poll.

To get a sense of how altruistic Singaporeans are, we polled 50 people and found that 30, or more than half of them, would donate blood - if they were given some kind of incentive.

However, out of the 30, 20 said that there was no need for monetary rewards.

Said polytechnic student Diyana Johah, 23: "Goodie bags with refreshments (that help) to replenish the lost blood would be fine."

Others, like business executive Jolene Tan, 37, said a thank-you card or note would be good enough.

However, some Singaporeans, like tuition teacher Michael Lim, 30, felt that blood donors should be compensated, just as organ donors are allowed to receive reimbursement for their actions.

But others, like student Ray Choon, 19, felt that blood donation should be an altruistic act.

"Knowing that we are helping others...is more than enough," he said.

The poll followed a research paper on altruistic behaviour written by Professor Ivan Png from the National University of Singapore.

The research found that voluntary blood donations tend to be fewer in countries with more individualistic cultures, such as the United States and Britain, where social ties between individuals are loose and people are expected to look after themselves.

When asked to comment on my paper's poll results, in which people said they would ask for incentives in exchange for donating blood, Prof Png said the current lacklustre economy might have affected people's willingness to give without expectations.

[email protected]

For more my paper stories click here.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Let me ask you a question.

How much those hospital charge for those packages of blood to the patients.

$400 per pack? Donor donate free? Let's discuss...

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

fuck off lah:oIo:

you have aids in your blood.. give free also nobody want:oIo::oIo:

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal

if you are in science field, you will realise the essay kits to perform tests on the blood sample are not cheap.

where do you think the pay from the chemist/biologist who perform the test comes from? what about those who store the blood?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
if you are in science field, you will realise the essay kits to perform tests on the blood sample are not cheap.

where do you think the pay from the chemist/biologist who perform the test comes from? what about those who store the blood?

You sound like those sinkie who talk about purchase a flat and about the price 400k and 500k at whatever location and never ask who are the ones who artificially created those prices.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
do you know the cost of one commercially available assay kit and how many tests that kit can support?

if you figure it out that will shut your mouth up really tight

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.biovision.com/pdf/5001.pdf

this is just 100ug. try go ask the cost of it and ask how many tests can this 100ug do. 1g = 1 x 10^6 ug

and i hope you have the brain to realise this is just for one specific test for one type of disorder.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
do you know the cost of one commercially available assay kit and how many tests that kit can support?

if you figure it out that will shut your mouth up really tight

The cost has been raise due to your sinkie , useless govt. You are just like those sinkie losers who will swallow any cost given to you as though that is something of a god send.

This price of blood is totally ridiculous. And the cost has been driven by your sinkie govt. The cost of those kits are driven by your sinkie govt as well.

And the spin by your sinkie media is trying to cover all that up.

Find out the cost??!!! It will be better if you find out the source of the cost. Get it Sinkie????

sinkie number 1: Hey!!! the 4 room flat now 300k, The Chinatown there 500k now.

Sinkie number 2: really har wah lou , getting so expensive...

Sinkie number 1: it is like that one lor... what to do... no choice one...

Sinkie number 2: got any cheaper one, pay like that for so many years.

Sinkie number 1: it is like that one lor.

If you have notice, not even one of them mention who the hell set up this price. Oh yeah, sinkie very obedient, the newspaper and the sign board says 500k means 500k and then they see it as , That's life.

Isn't that hilarious?

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
are you blind enough not to even realise that the price i qoute you is from a private commercial company in US? not any gov linked company? then you also expecting the nurse and technician to eat just air while working in blood bank?

you want totally free health care? fucking giving the gov more excuse to raise income tax and gst. you got brain?

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why not compare with Malaysia and Thailand, You sinkie govt loves to do that, right?

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.biovision.com/pdf/5001.pdf

this is just 100ug. try go ask the cost of it and ask how many tests can this 100ug do. 1g = 1 x 10^6 ug

and i hope you have the brain to realise this is just for one specific test for one type of disorder.

While I agree with your costing and such, I have to ask if you know if blood is just not mere blood.

Blood components like platelets. plasma and whole blood have different uses.

Each on it's own is a commodity that can fetch a high price and is mostly used and purchased by pharmaceutical companies for their tests and to develop reactionary experiments for their vaccines and such.

Personally I know that the SBTS actually sells blood and blood components.

FYI

Cheers,

MentisMortis

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
are you blind enough not to even realise that the price i qoute you is from a private commercial company in US? not any gov linked company? then you also expecting the nurse and technician to eat just air while working in blood bank?

you want totally free health care? fucking giving the gov more excuse to raise income tax and gst. you got brain?

Did i say anything about getting free health care? If the govt need more excuse to raise GST and income tax, you mean you just bend down and let the govt screw you?

You mean you behave like that? WHAHAHHAH!!!!! So who got the brain here?

If another country can provide free health care and able to absorb the cost of the kits claim by you, then why they can do it and not sinkieland? If you love to compare, then compare to a country that is the REAL first world kind in this.

Last edited: