• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

do you qualify to be a NS SLAVE ?

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Singapore 'citizenship test'

Question (on original citizenship test): When did Singapore gain independence?

"I would ask: When did Singapore become independent? Who was our first Prime Minister and our first President? Who wrote the national anthem and what does its title mean? And who wrote the pledge?"

- M. Eswaran, 15, Teck Whye Secondary School

Question: Why do you want to live here?

"I would ask them why they want to live here, and whether they would encourage their friends overseas to move here too. I would also ask them to compare Singapore with the country they lived in previously, and whether it is their own decision to come here."

- Gowri Kanagarajah, 13, Bukit View Secondary School

Question: Would you bring your family here?

"I think when foreigners bring their families to live here, there is a higher change that they will stay in Singapore for good."

- Gan Junjie, 14, Zhonghua Secondary School

Question: Would you defend Singapore?

"Will this foreign-born person be willing to defend the country in times of crisis? The answer would let us know how much they are willing to sacrifice, and whether they would really treat Singapore like their own country."

- Roy Lee Jun Hui, 14, Zhonghua Secondary School

Question: Do you love this country?

"We should test their knowledge of Singapore, including things like what the stars and red and white colours on the flag each represent. We should also ask what sort of 'Singapore spirit' they have, because to be a citizen of a country, one should love it wholeheartedly."

- Marissa Yeo, 14, Secondary 2, Tanjong Katong Girls' School

Question: What do you feel when you say the pledge?

"I would ask what they honestly feel when they hear or sing the national anthem, recite the pledge or see the flag. Do they feel a strong sense of pride and belonging? I believe this is what differentiates a citizen from a non-citizen."

- Hameed Misbahuddin Rowther, 15, Henderson Secondary School

Question: What could hurt racial harmony?

"If a person wants to become a Singaporean, then they must know about racial harmony so that they can get along with the different ethnic groups here. We could ask them to think of things that might ruin a racial harmony, or to name important shared values."

- Gillian Tan, 16, Bukit Batok Secondary School

Question: Why do you want to become a Singaporean?

"I would be kiasu and bombard them with 10 pages of question. There would be an essay question on why they want to become a citizen; tests of general knowledge like 'When did Singapore gain independence?', and, just for fun, 'Where can you find the best carrot cake?' "

- Lai Si Ying, 15, Holy Innocents' High School

This article was first published in IN DEPTH, a publication of The Straits Times on Sept 29, 2008.

EssaiveE

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is a difference between loving the country and the government.

and i'm surprised none of these kids questioned if this vast influx of foreigners would have any effect on their academic and professional future. or maybe they did, but werent featured heh

EssaiveE

Alfrescian
Loyal
the kids missed out 2 very important questions

"what is the national language of Singapore?"

"what is the administrative language of Singapore?"

I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of people got either of these 2 wrong.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the kids missed out 2 very important questions

"what is the national language of Singapore?"

"what is the administrative language of Singapore?"

I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of people got either of these 2 wrong.

MALAY language. National song is Malay and marching command is in Malay and actual Singapore pledge is in Malay also.
You right many younger people don't know about this.:smile:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MALAY language. National song is Malay and marching command is in Malay and actual Singapore pledge is in Malay also.
You right many younger people don't know about this.:smile:

Betul, bahasa Melayu ialah bahasa kebangsaan Singapura. Tetapi kebanyakannya orang warnanegara Singapura, berkatak bahasa Melayu mudah pun tidak adah boleh.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lu gong simi lanjiao ?? Joking only !!:biggrin:

No problem.

Singapore declared four official languages (English, Chinese, Malay, Tamil) and one national language (Malay). There's a difference between "official" and "national" language. It's ironic that Malay, as the national language, isn't taught to non-Malay Singaporeans, even at simple conversational level. I'm not a Malay. I learnt my pasar malam Malay from some childhood days Malay buddies. Anyway, rusty already.

Singapore is probably the only nation on planet earth where the national language is spoken and understood by only a quarter of its population.

Last edited: