• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dismayed at NLB's focus on 'bean-counting'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Dismayed at NLB's focus on 'bean-counting'
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to the March 11 report, '160,000 library users pay up $500k in dues', on the collection of unpaid fines by the National Library Board (NLB).
I was quite dismayed at the new rules proposed by NLB and have given feedback. NLB has not given me a reply and it is more than two weeks now.
NLB proposes that if a user has any fines outstanding (even 10 cents) in his account, the user will not be allowed to borrow anything.
This is bordering on being mean-spirited.
Is it not ridiculous if a user is barred from borrowing if he has a few cents of a fine outstanding?
What is wrong with the current system which provides some buffer to users before they need to discharge their obligations?
If this buffer - currently the owed amount must be less than $6 - is too high, NLB could reduce it to $3, for example, rather than to zero.
NLB will send reminders every three months to users if there are fines outstanding, and will also charge them an administration fee.
Is this a good idea?
Imagine a user who has an insubstantial fine in his account, perhaps due to late returns. This user goes back to his overseas school after summer vacation or his overseas job posting. His lack of awareness of a small outstanding fine will result in a recurring administrative fee being charged continuously against him - potentially charging him dollars for the cents he owes - until one day he returns to find a huge bill.
Does NLB really require the funds? I also really wonder about the timing of this 'debt collection' exercise.
It gives me the impression that NLB is focused on 'bean-counting' instead of its broader vision of giving access to books and media to the masses. I have always admired our libraries, but this new policy is difficult to understand.
Yew-Kong Tham

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
th_front-hoching.jpg
th_jt4aj5.gif
th_php8CE9ht.jpg

But OK for these BASTARDS to lose $260B in 8 Months with NO REGRET!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Go and buy books from bookshop lah, want to read books and couldnt be bother to return promptly.

Library is for poor people lah. Why would anyone go to the library if they can afford to buy their own books, magazines, ...:confused:

NLB has spent $$$ on nice & pretty buildings but they obviously are hardup for $$$. I suspect they are facing a funding crunch because of the losses incurred by Madam Ho. Expect more gov't depts to increase their fees :rolleyes:

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
欠钱还钱 不是你老子的钱 是pap的钱

Exactly! You ungrateful, non-eLEEte lesser mortals with your low-IQ and non-Gifted education without lifetime civil service job don't unnerstand!

Singapore Inc belongs to the PAP! Don't you dare owe one cent to MM Lee and not pay! MM Lee has exclusive right to lose as much money gambling on foreign banks as he likes!

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
If there wait for your fines to finance their losses, 100 years of fines still would not be able to top up