• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Daniel Whacks Stupid Ex-EDBee Chairman HARD!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Home-grown entrepreneurs need encouragement
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I AM not sure former Economic Development Board chairman, Mr Chan Chin Bock, in his letter yesterday, "Be realistic on home-grown entrepreneurs", is looking at home-grown entrepreneurship as a broad-based issue.
One belief is that, in economic terms, the returns on resources extended to building up home-grown entrepreneurship are far less than that extended to encouraging established world industries to bring their enterprise to our country. In the shorter term, we cannot fault this assumption.
Industries come because we can offer lower cost operation due to many reasons, such as tax incentives, skilled workers and managers, excellent infrastructure, clean and safe environment, and a place where everything works. They can also leave quickly when a more competitive government can offer better incentives.
A more serious problem arises, however, when our creative entrepreneurs lack the motivation to venture out on their own.
Mr Chan mentioned that even established home-grown industries in the United States, such as General Motors and General Electric, will not hesitate to lay off workers, shrink their operations and relocate to another country.
This may not be destructive to the US economy. In fact, it may encourage the country to innovate further with whatever resources that remain, such as harnessing state of the art research, which eventually generates higher returns.
If we look at the issue from this point of view, we must move quickly to build up our own industries.
Yes, as a global economy, we must attract the best, and that means locals will have to compete to be part of it. Realistically, we can do this only if we are given additional incentives. Otherwise, I fear that we may remain a nation efficient in providing skilled workers and managerial services - in short, an established offshore service centre. Daniel Gwee

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>What ex-EDB chairman said made sense
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to Mr Ooi Teck Chau's letter last Friday, "Singapore needs home-grown entrepreneurs".
Mr Ooi was responding to the report "No home-grown entrepreneurs? No big deal" (April 22), in which former Economic Development Board chairman Chan Chin Bock was reported to have said that it did not matter if Singapore did not produce its own entrepreneurs.
I was a guest at the EDB Society-Straits Times Pioneers Seminar at which Mr Chan shared with the audience his 30 years of experience, which was conducted in an informal, off-the-cuff manner.
When the subject of not having enough local entrepreneurs was raised at the end of the two-hour dialogue, he took about five minutes to answer it. He first highlighted the ability to produce what he called "social benefits" as the most important attribute of a company. Good governance was important too. As long as companies can deliver those benefits, we should not be concerned about who owned the companies, he added.
It was within this context that one or two "stark" points were made, as addressed by Mr Ooi in his response. At that moment, I did not find those points stark at all as I perceived the main message was that quality and contribution of a company are more important than who owns it or the nationality of its ownership. Ng Ya Ken

=> The loyal PAPee Dog!