• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Could a broken down atm cause wrong amount in account?

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Guys need to get this off my chest so i'm hoping ppl with extensive knowledge of computer system used to operate the bank's atms can help

So the atm machine i was attempting to withdraw money from was damaged, hence after i keyed in the amount instead of dispensing it shut down and restarted itself.

So later i went home and checked online. No transaction was shown on the day my atm card was swallowed.

Yet do u think the while i keyed in xx amount of money to be withdrawn, the system withdrew it from my account but it was not recorded down in the transactions as the machine broke down before it could dispense the amount and record it down?

Let me give an example. Say u have 100 dollars in your account. U withdraw 20, but before the atm can dispense the amount it breaks down and restarts, hence the transaction does not take place, yet when u check online only 80 dollars remains in your account, yet ur supposed to have 100 dollars since the amount was never dispensed and the machine broke down.

In my case the amount is not so straight forward and hence i cannot remember the amount in my memory, my last transcation was a few days back.

Can such a scenerio take place?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Guys need to get this off my chest so i'm hoping ppl with extensive knowledge of computer system used to operate the bank's atms can help

So the atm machine i was attempting to withdraw money from was damaged, hence after i keyed in the amount instead of dispensing it shut down and restarted itself.

So later i went home and checked online. No transaction was shown on the day my atm card was swallowed.

Yet do u think the while i keyed in xx amount of money to be withdrawn, the system withdrew it from my account but it was not recorded down in the transactions as the machine broke down before it could dispense the amount and record it down?

Let me give an example. Say u have 100 dollars in your account. U withdraw 20, but before the atm can dispense the amount it breaks down and restarts, hence the transaction does not take place, yet when u check online only 80 dollars remains in your account, yet ur supposed to have 100 dollars since the amount was never dispensed and the machine broke down.

In my case the amount is not so straight forward and hence i cannot remember the amount in my memory, my last transcation was a few days back.

Can such a scenerio take place?

hmm... do you recall which ATM machine you used? does their CCTVs really work? time to find out :biggrin:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
There are indeed safeguards in place in terms of journaling, cannot elaborate much more but they do have this in place for recording purposes.

poore

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think perhaps the bank can verify if indeed it happens....lets say total amt withdrawn for that day is 5000, atm inside shd have only 5000 left.....but have 5020 leh.....so most likely that 20dlrs is yours....

jus my guess..... but guess will take the bank many many days to verify.....

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No worry... I'm not inhuman to do that. Only one hand doing the pressing button and collect cash while other hand digging at the camera.:smile:

for me i do not touch my face when i am pressing something that many hands have touched. Actually i hardly want to touch my face with my bare hands when outside.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
i think perhaps the bank can verify if indeed it happens....lets say total amt withdrawn for that day is 5000, atm inside shd have only 5000 left.....but have 5020 leh.....so most likely that 20dlrs is yours....

jus my guess..... but guess will take the bank many many days to verify.....

This is not the main way, if there are rejected or problems with the transaction, the money is thrown into the reject bin, not back to the cartridge. The guys will have to open the bin to check and that is if you call the bin in time else they will just collect back the money to be recycled back into the system.

Lion_Barbell

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is not the main way, if there are rejected or problems with the transaction, the money is thrown into the reject bin, not back to the cartridge. The guys will have to open the bin to check and that is if you call the bin in time else they will just collect back the money to be recycled back into the system.

I think they can check from their control immediately.
I had this experience with UOB atm.
I withdraw $200.00 but the machine dispensed only $50.00.
I called up the number on the atm and the guy said he will check while I hold the line.
Few minutes later, he apologized saying is a computer glitch and they will refund $150.00 to my account.
Nobody came down to check the atm so I think they are able to check from their control centre.
Next day I updated my bankbook and the $150.00 was credited back.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I called up the number on the atm and the guy said he will check while I hold the line.
Few minutes later, he apologized saying is a computer glitch and they will refund $150.00 to my account.
Nobody came down to check the atm so I think they are able to check from their control centre.

wah u heng man.

In ur case since it's so straight forward expect 4 notes but only get 1.

Imagine if it had been larger amounts.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Yes, they have many ways to check, from system, from journaling, etc.
Glitches happens but they have many ways to trace back. The onus though normally is on the bank customer to call up/contact the bank if they found any issues. The bank will only contact you for exceptional cases which are rare.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I like to dig my nose at the ATM vidcam while drawing out cash.

Just wondering, if you were wearing the bright yellow or was it green, very brief, swimwear like the 54 year old macho man did; will the bank report you for inappropriate attire?. Since the CCTV must have time stamp, the withdrawal or transaction have time stamp, the bank can trace it to you!.

So, please only dig your nose...and not rub or dig anything else:biggrin: