• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Controversial trans cyclist Austin Killips wins North Carolina race by 5 minutes: ‘Power is not comparable’

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

20230613_132858.jpg

NYPICHPDPICT000012583604.jpg

Controversial transgender cyclist Austin Killips has won a North Carolina race by a whopping five minutes — prompting the second-place finisher to declare that her power was “not comparable” and suggest a separate category for trans athletes.

Austin Killips, 27, who recently became the first openly trans woman to win an official Union Cycliste Internationale stage event, won $5,000 after easily coming in first in the 131-mile Belgian Waffle Ride in Hendersonville on Saturday, Cycling News reported.

Killips, who identifies as female, quickly took the lead in the women’s division before being passed briefly by Paige Onweller.

Killips ultimately surged ahead and beat her by five minutes.

Coming in third was Flavia Oliveira.

Tennis great Martina Navratilova, who recently criticized Killips for winning a race in New Mexico, reacted to the latest victory by tweeting, “What a joke.”

'We were kind of all riding together for quite a while and, you know, I have a cross background and I am going to attack these single-track sections as hard as I can and did that. I hammered [it] and was able to stay clear,” Killips added.

Onweller offered a diplomatic description of the race.

“Most of the day it was riding the top three women who were together, me, Flavia and Austin. But yeah, I just kind of couldn’t match, you know, Austin and some of the single track and the power … just not comparable,” she said in an interview after the event.

“So kinda got gapped maybe 50 miles from there was kind of alone a lot of the time. Had a couple guys ride with and yeah, it’s kind of settled in and kept motoring and yeah, I got second,” Onweller said.
But in a blog post, she said she wanted “to address the numerous comments regarding the women’s podium at this event.

“A transgender athlete won the women’s overall, which has caused some controversy. For those following women’s road cycling, you are aware of the UCI rule that this is currently allowed,” Onweller wrote.

"Rather than sharing my personal opinions about the UCI rule, I think it’s most important to recognize that all athletes, no matter how they identify, should have a space to compete and race. Additionally, underneath all helmets is a face and a person who deserves respect, dignity and a safe space to ride bikes,” she continued.

"In the future, I feel a separate category may be appropriate but event promoters are also learning what is best to preserve both female cycling while also creating an inclusive space for all to ride,” Onweller added.

The athlete also noted that “these things take both time and grace to resolve” and said she plans “to continue to support and attend BWR events in the future as I trust they will navigate this with respect for all riders going forward.”

Killips, who has been sanctioned to compete under the governing body’s rules, last month drew condemnation after winning the Tour of the Gila stage race in New Mexico.

"Transgender cyclist Austin Killips wins women’s race, causes outrage- this will happen more and more- women’s sports is NOT THE PLACE for trans identified male athletes,” Navratilova, 66, said in a tweet.

The UCI defended Killips but changed its tune the day after Navratilova’s tweet — saying it would review its rules for trans athletes and “analyze the current situation,” with a new decision expected in August.

Killips’ emergence on the cyclocross circuit was part of the reason 35-time winner Hannah Arensman retired from the sport recently.

Killips had been accused of trying to push Arensman off the course at the UCI Cyclocross National Championships in December 2022.

Source:https://nypost.com/2023/06/12/trans...n=nypost&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter