• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Coach Liu say it is ME or LBW ! You choose

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now undecided
Liu says even if STTA wants him to stay, he needs to think about it. He adds:
'I need space to do my job.'
'I need to be able to make decisions that won't be second-guessed.'
'I can't have people trying to disrupt what I am trying to achieve here.'
By Lin Xinyi

Coach Liu's second thoughts came barely 24 hours after he said that he was looking forward to helping the Singapore team prepare for the 2012 Olympics. -- PHOTO: NEO XIAOBIN/MY PAPER
View more photos
LESS than a day after welcoming the positive news that Singapore Table Tennis Association president Lee Bee Wah looked forward to working with him in preparation for the 2012 Olympics, Liu Guodong is having second thoughts about staying on as national head coach.

He told The Straits Times yesterday: 'Even if the STTA wants me to stay, I will need to think about it.'

Enough has been said
'I believe commenting further won't help them to resolve their problem. I also think enough has been said about this issue. The only way is to let the team sort it out within themselves.' - Singapore National Olympic Council president Teo Chee Hean. Mr Teo, who is also Defence Minister, was speaking after the National Day Parade Appreciation Reception last night
This latest development comes as a shock after there were signs of progress on Tuesday night, when both Liu and Ms Lee said that they were looking forward to working with each other.

Then, Ms Lee had said: 'I've considered that Liu Guodong has done a great job with the girls and met the target of a medal at the Olympics.'

But, yesterday morning, Liu had a change of heart.

He said: 'This whole saga - am I staying or am I going - has really hurt my pride.'

If he is to stay on, his top concern is the environment he will be working in.

Liu, 34, said: 'I need space to do my job.

'I need to be able to make decisions that won't be second-guessed.

'And I can't have people trying to disrupt what I am trying to achieve here.'

If those assurances are given, Liu said he will stay on - '100 per cent'.

However, as things stand, he is uncertain about staying put until he has had a discussion with Ms Lee.

She did not want to comment on the issue when approached at the National Library last night after the closing ceremony of Read! Singapore 2008.

Despite leading the women's table tennis team to a silver - Singapore's first Olympic medal in 48 years - there were initial doubts over Liu's future.

This, after STTA chief Lee said that his fate would be decided by a coaching committee last Saturday.

The uncertainty followed the fiasco in the Olympics' men's singles event, where Singapore No 1 Gao Ning played without a coach by his side and crashed out in the third round.

Following the 'Gao Ning incident', Sports Minister Vivian Balakrishnan promised a full review of the controversy after Team Singapore returned from Beijing on Monday.

Yesterday morning, the minister had a meeting with paddlers Li Jiawei, Feng Tianwei, Wang Yuegu, Sun Beibei, Gao Ning, Yang Zi and Cai Xiaoli.

Dr Balakrishnan also met the coaches and team manager Antony Lee. It is unclear what was discussed. All Liu would say was that 'it went well'.

Although there was speculation within the sporting fraternity that Liu had offered to resign yesterday, he quashed the rumour.

He insisted that he will see out his current contract, which runs till Dec 31.

This means that he will be in charge when the Republic's paddlers compete at next month's Volkswagen Women's World Cup in Kuala Lumpur.

Liu said: 'We've worked so hard to get to where we are. I still hope that I can be here to consolidate our position, which will be harder than our rise to the top.'

[email protected]

Additional reporting by Wang Meng Meng

Latest comm

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
LBW is garmen, liu is stupid to challenge her. shld just guai guai do his job and every month collect salary

The

Alfrescian
Loyal
LBW is garmen, liu is stupid to challenge her. shld just guai guai do his job and every month collect salary

Nah, other countries will be willing to pay double or triple what he now gets. I would not be surprised that he's already got a few contracts on his hands...

splintuh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nah, other countries will be willing to pay double or triple what he now gets. I would not be surprised that he's already got a few contracts on his hands...

Yup. He's very mobile, so he's got little to lose.

Anyway, LBW is just a newbie with no strong backing. Even Vivian's pissed with her.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You right if not he will not change his mind so fast. I think the contract come from European country like Germany/Sweden. Now LBW ass is on the table.

ahpong

Alfrescian
Loyal

Maybe he'll bring Feng Tian Wei with him to HK, who is sore about not getting any medals in this Olympics.

Naturefarm2

Alfrescian
Loyal
strangely, i am quite supportive of him this time.
I think he need to resign to make the matter worst for that woman.

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
154th already trying to sa ka LBW...Zaobao says her residents support her...

anyways...Liu would have to leave..no way Bala will allow his own MIW ppl to lose further face lah...

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
154th already trying to sa ka LBW...Zaobao says her residents support her...

anyways...Liu would have to leave..no way Bala will allow his own MIW ppl to lose further face lah...

Let me predict...

They will pay Liu to resign.. and save LBW's face. She will resign from STTA within 1 year. STTA will have new head and new coach. Lets' move on :wink:

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me predict...

They will pay Liu to resign.. and save LBW's face. She will resign from STTA within 1 year. STTA will have new head and new coach. Lets' move on :wink:

supports ur prediction....was told many sms/emails sent upstairs to complain about this whole shitty affairs liao

Singapaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>He said: 'This whole saga - am I staying or am I going - has really hurt my pride.'

Showdown between Bruised LEE vs. Bruised LIU :biggrin:

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
supports ur prediction....was told many sms/emails sent upstairs to complain about this whole shitty affairs liao

Meaning what? PAP AssLoong complain to get rid of his own GRC MP AH Wah? Or to get rid of head coach Liu? Or to get rid of Gao Ning? Or to get rid of Anthony Lee? Clarify please.

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
i asked this q before, but can i ask again
anyone knows whos the idiot who appointed LBW in the first place?!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I would like to say , Sg dun deserve any medal at all. When u have something good, bad things happen due to sinkieness. A happy event turn angry and ugly.

PLease be down to earth and train your own in - born athletes.

Sad man...

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
Meaning what? PAP AssLoong complain to get rid of his own GRC MP AH Wah? Or to get rid of head coach Liu? Or to get rid of Gao Ning? Or to get rid of Anthony Lee? Clarify please.

many ppl asking for blood...as this shitty outbreak just right after getting a medal belittles the effort put in my our PRC counterparts....pappy blood

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
After 48yrs and 1 stupid silver medal...all we got ...mindless accusations.
Lucky we are not china....so many medals...more squabbles???

:o :biggrin: :o