• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CNA's New Newscaster is quite the Chiobu

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
34g8syd.jpg

"Why thank you!"

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Chat with an American Expat in Singapore

We chat with Ali Smith, an American expat living and working in Singapore. In this interview, we hear from Ali and what made her move from her home in the United States, to Philippines, and then to Singapore. Ali also shares with Expat Network about her job as a news reporter.
View Ali's profile >>

Hi Ali, thanks for doing this interview. Can you tell us a little bit more about yourself?
Sure! I grew up in a small town in the state of Montana in the United States. I have 3 sisters. My Dad’s a dentist and my Mom is an executive coach, consultant and a writer! At 18, I moved away from home to attend college in New Jersey at Princeton University.

Wow. And did you always dream of being a news reporter?
Well, though I chose to study Comparative Religion, with an emphasis on Sociology, I was always fascinated with broadcast journalism. From a very young age, I would sit in front of the television before going to school watching “The Today Show” with Katie Couric. I was probably not much older than 10 years old at the time, but I have vivid memories of being inspired by her and wanting to do what she did.

Another memory that sticks with me from the 5th grade is when we were given an assignment to write a report about someone in a professional field. Oddly enough, I chose to interview our local newscaster, Joe Gaile. I got to sit with him in the studio in front of the cameras and I’ll never forget how neat I thought it was. That experience has always stuck with me.

That must have been very exciting. Ok, tell us more about your career and how you got here to Singapore. I hear you were working for a news network in the Philippines.
I moved to Manila immediately after my graduation from Princeton in 2006, after being awarded a Journalism Fellowship through the Princeton-in-Asia Program. I worked for two years at ABS-CBN News Corporation, Inc. in Manila, the largest national network in the Philippines. It was there that I learned on the job, literally, how to be a news reporter and anchor.
Since I didn’t have a background in journalism, everything on the job was totally new to me. I felt like a kid being released onto a playground for the first time. There was so much to learn and explore both professionally and culturally. It was my first job out of college, first time working in a newsroom, and first time to Asia, which made for a very thrilling adventure!

Sounds like it was quite a learning curve. And how did you make the transition from the Philippines to Channel NewsAsia (CNA) Singapore?
After my journalism fellowship ended after two years, I decided I wanted stay in Asia longer. My former boss was very well-connected in the industry, so she put me in touch with some of her friends at different news networks in the region. It was through one of her contacts that I found out about Channel NewsAsia. After reading up about the company on the internet, I was sold. I knew that was where I wanted to go next. So I applied, interviewed and was grateful to get the job!

How has it been so far? Moving to Singapore.
The transition from the Philippines to Singapore has been quite smooth, thankfully. I have two American roommates- both of whom are graduate students at the Sotheby’s Institute of Art. I knew one of my housemates, Kate, from before when I lived for a summer in New York City. It was by chance that we both were moving to Singapore at the same time. Small world!

Small world indeed! All right, I’m sure many out there are curious what a news anchor does behind the scenes. Can you share with us a bit more?
During my first 8 weeks at Channel NewsAsia, I started as a reporter for local news. That entailed going out with a camera crew to film and get interviews for my story of the day. Then I would come back to the newsroom to write, voice and edit my story into a nicely presented package to air on the evening news programme.

The following 8 weeks I spent producing for the international news programmes, which air just about every hour. This entails scripting stories from the pictures sent from the international news wires, setting up phone-patch interviews with our international correspondents, and assisting with details like subtitles to ensure our final “product” looks polished and professional for our viewers.

I am now undergoing training to present the news. Many people see this as the pinnacle of a journalist’s career. What they may not know is that it’s not all glam. You have to bring all the journalistic skills you have ever honed to sit in that hot seat in front of the camera! When news breaks while you are on shift, it is the ultimate test for a presenter.

Your greatest insight into the new reporting industry since joining CNA?
In my 6 months at Channel NewsAsia so far, I have experienced a wide spectrum of work related to news production. This has given me a full understanding of how all the pieces of TV news broadcasting fit together- from the gathering to the production to the presentation. And there is still so much more to learn, in terms of how the final product comes together on Channel NewsAsia, such as the branding, promotion and programming strategies that give the channel a name in Asia.

The most interesting thing that you've encountered in your line of duty ...
Gosh, its endless in this business! Interesting things are happening by the minute. But one experience that sticks out for me in my career so far is when I was covering a huge religious festival in the Philippines called the “Feast of the Black Nazarene.” There were thousands of people there fighting their way through the crowd to touch the statue of Christ, as it was believed to be “good luck.” I was with my camera crew doing a live cross from the top of the van and suddenly several of the men in the crowd started to move the van, literally picking it up! It was really frightening for those few moments, not knowing what they were going to do. After carrying the van a few feet, security guards came to our rescue and made them put us down. After a moment of letting out a breath of relief, we went back on air!

That must have been a pretty unnerving experience! All in a day’s work indeed. Tell us, what keeps you going in this career?
I never really dreamed of being a journalist, but I dreamed and still do dream of changing the world and making a difference. I think that really captures the essence of why I do what I do. What empowers me in my work is the idea of influencing, inspiring, changing and shaping people’s hearts and minds in a positive way.

I find tremendous joy in watching people being transformed, living their lives to the fullest, according to their own natural gifts and talents. I see my job in media as a way of doing this. I get to meet all kinds of different people from all walks of life, cultures, backgrounds and industries and try to tell their stories in impactful, meaningful ways.

My former boss and mentor, Maria Ressa, used to tell us to “aim for the heart, because that’s what your viewers will remember.” Aiming for human hearts is what I love about my job.

Well said and inspiring indeed! Ok, one last question: any advice for young people who wish to follow this career path?
First, I would say don’t be afraid to take risks. For me, it was a HUGE risk to come all the way out to Asia to new job, new country, new culture, new everything. But it was that initial leap of faith and courage into the unknown that kick-started an exciting broadcast journalism career! You only limit your own potential and the endless possibilities in life by playing it safe all the time.

Second, I would emphasize the importance in maintaining a healthy work/life balance. News happens around the clock, which makes it easy to work long hours and forget that there is a life outside of the office. Though my own work hours can be hectic, I make it a priority to exercise regularly, engage in my faith community, and schedule quality time with family and friends. For me, when all my needs are being met- physically, spiritually and emotionally- then that’s when I truly feel most productive and fulfilled in the workplace.

Great advice and reminder for us all. Thanks Ali.
My pleasure!