• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

clinton888: President Obama: Hope for America and the world

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>President Obama: Hope for America and the world
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->BRAVO to Mr Barack Obama, and to Americans for selecting him as their next President.
Having followed the hustings since the primaries, with keener interest than in past US elections, I must say the better candidate won. So why my keener interest now?
I am not Joe the Plumber, just Clinton the Global Citizen. What happens in America affects me, my family and just about everyone, globally. Like it or not, we're all in this together.
With the ability of great leaders who can, like magnets below a sheet of paper, invisibly align iron filings into a new pattern of their making, President-elect Obama offers much hope to reignite the US as the superpower it is, to mobilise international action on pressing global challenges.
It used to be that when the US sneezed, the world caught a cold. With the recent financial tsunami, precipitated by the subprime mortgage crisis, the US developed pneumonia. It instantly sent the rest of the world spinning into the intensive care unit, with a scrambled palliative to hold the fort.
When the real tsunami devastated Asia, I pointed out, in a letter in the Forum in January 2006, that 'globalising' 11 countries in less than 24 hours taught the world two key lessons - 'how small and inter-connected our 'global village' is and the power of globalisation'.
It appears the world has yet to learn to manage the good, the bad and the ugly of globalisation.
There are enough resources in the world to meet everyone's needs, not everyone's greed. In an increasingly multi-polar world, new global financial and freer trade systems must be found, among other things, to harness Planet Earth's resources for everyone's benefit.
The Obama administration, I hope, will avoid the mistakes of past ones - that of promoting a one-size-fits-all Washington-style democracy, which does not work as US experiences in Vietnam and Iraq have shown.
With due respect, I suggest members of the Obama administration read Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's memoirs, From Third World To First, to obtain insights of how Singapore, in its own democratic way, developed from a city riven with industrial strife, 50 years ago, to be slum-free now and rated seventh of 60 cities - by Washington-based magazine, Foreign Policy - that radiate influence, wealth and sophistication. This is just one Singapore contribution to a better world... we're all in this together. Clinton Lim

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
He wait loh. Soon Obama will show his colours by terminating FTAs and tell Singapore to go fuck spider. Then we see people like these start scold Obama.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
He wait loh. Soon Obama will show his colours by terminating FTAs and tell Singapore to go fuck spider. Then we see people like these start scold Obama.

As if that's possible.

If the Democrats have only 56-57 seats, then its still possible for the GOP to filibuster any attempts to terminate any FTAs. Plus President Obama has said he wants to re-negotiate, not to revoke. Revoking is not the first resort; its out of the temperament of President Obama to act rashly.