• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chor Boh Lan launches cookbook

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Ex-MP launches cookbook
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Collection of mother's recipes will raise funds so kids won't go hungry </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Judith Tan
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_JUPEH21.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Mr Peh collected 110 of his mother's recipes and improved upon them for his book Homecooked Meals (jia chang cai). The recipes include Hainanese chicken rice, black carrot cake, herbal soups and his favourite honey ribs which he cooks for his grandson. -- ST PHOTO: JOYCE FANG
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->THE word 'cook' may not seem synonymous with Mr Peh Chin Hua, who is better known as a former Member of Parliament for Jalan Besar GRC.
But the 61-year-old community leader can actually whip up a storm in any kitchen, having earned his stripes in his mother's kitchen as a child.
'My mother had 11 children and the four elder ones were tasked with helping in the kitchen. That was where I developed my culinary skills,' said Mr Peh in Mandarin.
He has now published a collection of his 83-year-old mother's recipes into a Chinese cookbook, with proceeds going to raise money 'so children will not go hungry'.
'When I had a discussion with NTUC to sell my cookbook, we also talked about giving the proceeds to charity. They suggested the Straits Times' School Pocket Money Fund - which I thought was quite apt,' he said.
The fund was initiated in 2000 to help children from low-income families who go to school without an adequate breakfast, and do not have the pocket money to buy food in school.
The fund gives $45 a month to pupils in primary school and $80 to those in secondary school, relieving the financial burden of their parents. This year, it will support more than 9,000 schoolchildren. Now it will receive a welcome boost from Mr Peh's cookbook, which did not start out as one.
'My daughters and son live and work abroad and I would cook for them whenever I visit. They wanted the recipes so I put them together with photos and e-mailed them,' he said.
Mr Peh's son, Shing Huei, is The Straits Times' China bureau chief and is based in Beijing.
In 2006, Mr Peh's mother, Madam Soh Ah Bak, suffered her third stroke. When she emerged from a coma, she could not speak. Wanting to 'stir something within her to stimulate her', Mr Peh, who is a businessman, hurriedly pulled 75 of her recipes together and printed 20 copies to show her.
'It was really a rough draft but it succeeded,' he said.
His mother is her old self again, lucid and communicative, though wheelchair- bound. To ensure her legacy does not go to waste, he collected 110 recipes, improved upon them and published 800 copies. The cookbook will be launched today at all FairPrice outlets at $9.90 each. [email protected]

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does his cookbook include anything on LKY?

Like example; Roasted LKY, Deep fried LKY, or Steam up LKY and etc.

U

UpYoz_olo

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Ex-MP launches cookbook
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Collection of mother's recipes will raise funds so kids won't go hungry </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Judith Tan
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_JUPEH21.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Mr Peh collected 110 of his mother's recipes and improved upon them for his book Homecooked Meals (jia chang cai). The recipes include Hainanese chicken rice, black carrot cake, herbal soups and his favourite honey ribs which he cooks for his grandson. -- ST PHOTO: JOYCE FANG
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->THE word 'cook' may not seem synonymous with Mr Peh Chin Hua, who is better known as a former Member of Parliament for Jalan Besar GRC.
But the 61-year-old community leader can actually whip up a storm in any kitchen, having earned his stripes in his mother's kitchen as a child.
'My mother had 11 children and the four elder ones were tasked with helping in the kitchen. That was where I developed my culinary skills,' said Mr Peh in Mandarin.
He has now published a collection of his 83-year-old mother's recipes into a Chinese cookbook, with proceeds going to raise money 'so children will not go hungry'.
'When I had a discussion with NTUC to sell my cookbook, we also talked about giving the proceeds to charity. They suggested the Straits Times' School Pocket Money Fund - which I thought was quite apt,' he said.
The fund was initiated in 2000 to help children from low-income families who go to school without an adequate breakfast, and do not have the pocket money to buy food in school.
The fund gives $45 a month to pupils in primary school and $80 to those in secondary school, relieving the financial burden of their parents. This year, it will support more than 9,000 schoolchildren. Now it will receive a welcome boost from Mr Peh's cookbook, which did not start out as one.
'My daughters and son live and work abroad and I would cook for them whenever I visit. They wanted the recipes so I put them together with photos and e-mailed them,' he said.
Mr Peh's son, Shing Huei, is The Straits Times' China bureau chief and is based in Beijing.
In 2006, Mr Peh's mother, Madam Soh Ah Bak, suffered her third stroke. When she emerged from a coma, she could not speak. Wanting to 'stir something within her to stimulate her', Mr Peh, who is a businessman, hurriedly pulled 75 of her recipes together and printed 20 copies to show her.
'It was really a rough draft but it succeeded,' he said.
His mother is her old self again, lucid and communicative, though wheelchair- bound. To ensure her legacy does not go to waste, he collected 110 recipes, improved upon them and published 800 copies. The cookbook will be launched today at all FairPrice outlets at $9.90 each. [email protected]

Wah Lan! Ani Kwan Ma A Sai. I can get infinite recipes FOC from the Internet so I wonder which cuckoo would part $$$ to buy it.

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah Lan! Ani Kwan Ma A Sai. I can get infinite recipes FOC from the Internet so I wonder which cuckoo would part $$$ to buy it.

only brainwashed members of the running dog brigade.

this so-called generous man is retired on a fat MP pension. of course he damn cho boh lan, got time to go abroad and cook for his kids (who got eLEEte jobs in GLCs like SPH.)

most sinkies at his age and 20 years older still slaving away because they sway sway never got civil service job last time.