• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

China: The Economic downturn is biting !

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Small things which say a lot.

It is becoming apparent with each passing day that China has very real problems of its own, and is going to have use its own reserves to help itself.

I doubt the popular argument that the newly rich Chinese consumers will go out and spend their yuan, to help the global economy.

Recently, at an apartment in Beijing, I went out to take the garbage, which is in the common area of the building near the elevators. Shortly after going into this area, I noticed that the only lights in the area, which has no windows, were two low-energy consumption bulbs on the other side of the area. Nothing else was on except for those two bulbs, including the stairwell, which was completely black and did not have any lights on. Obviously, the building management company, in an effort to save electricity, had turned off the lights to less than what I would consider safe.

Anyone who has stayed in China for any length of time will find small cards which have a photo of an attractive young woman smiling prettily, with a rate card and mobile phone number on the back. On these cards, the young woman will offer “massage services” with services called 西班牙骑士 and 综合保健 offered. Sometimes the cards mention that the young woman is a university student.

Now, what caught my attention recently was that their rates had gone down! The most expensive package 综合保健 or Total Healthcare Package had gone down from 398 yuan to 298 yuan. My guess is that the market was pulling back, and these young women were asking for less, at least according to my completely informal China Masseuse Index.

Then yesterday I flew from Beijing to Shenzhen. On arrival at Shenzhen airport, I took a small 20+ person bus to downtown Shenzhen. During the ride, as we were going downhill, I noticed that the bus mysteriously went silent. Then, it occurred to me that the bus driver had turned off the engine to save gasoline/petrol costs and was coasting downhill until we reached the toll booth. After we reached the toll booth, he restarted the engine, and we were on our way.

Taken in isolation, I would have said that each would at most, have been an interesting and amusing anomaly. Taken together, they paint a picture of a society which is indeed worried about the future, and is doing its best to cut expenses.

So that, from the street, is my reasoning for thinking that China has too many problems of its own.

So these are the same guys who are going to bail out western consumers from their problems? Hmmm….

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is this type of attitude that makes traveling in China very unsafe, the culture to pinch on small cost sometimes end up taking human lives.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is this type of attitude that makes traveling in China very unsafe, the culture to pinch on small cost sometimes end up taking human lives.

And they bathe, every three days or so, to conserve water...and that's Chinese ingenuity...hardly surprised at all these, the older generation had been doing that all the time..

switching off lights at home, doing work at home that do not require lights..etc..

nothing shocking...:p