• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Case says one thing, hawkers do something else

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Other unethical methods abound
06:05 PM May 27, 2009
Letter from Murali Sharma

I refer to “Price list = Transparency” (May 20),

The Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) survey reported that beverage prices have not increased from the time of its previous survey. This is heartening.

However, it appears that some coffee stalls do not display price lists and some are charging more than the prices shown on their lists.

Some unscrupulous stallholders have also resorted to other unethical methods, it seems. A couple of months ago, a friend went to a stall and joined the queue. The person before her ordered a glass of soya bean drink and paid 80 cents. My friend ordered ‘the same thing’. The charge was a dollar. When she confronted the stallholder, the latter answered with a straight face that hers was a larger glass.

When asked why she was not asked what size glass she wanted, the stallholder replied boldly that my friend had not asked for a smaller glass.

The survey seems to have covered only beverages. On the other hand food prices have certainly increased. I wonder if there is a reason for increases in food prices and not that much for beverages,

Recently I went to my usual porridge stall. The price, which used to be $2.50 per bowl, hadgone up to $2.80. This time around the bill was $3.50. How did this come about? In the past I had ordered only porridge without specifying whether I wanted a large or small bowl. I did the same this time but received the large bowl.

Ethical charging is an area which traders have to work on if we really want to become a first world country.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember a few years ago, I went to Ngee Ann city for shopping, went down basement 2 for some food and end up queuing for a cup of coffee. The stall selling the coffee is one of those traditional sock filter coffee maker, and fills up a big tank for dispensing the coffee, so I got a cup, and when ask how much it was, the guy say $4.50!

Pissed, I did something very bad, I walked off without the coffee, without paying.

You can flame me if you like, but I am not going to be con by people who sell 80cents coffee for $4.50.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
no signboard with prices?
Remember a few years ago, I went to Ngee Ann city for shopping, went down basement 2 for some food and end up queuing for a cup of coffee. The stall selling the coffee is one of those traditional sock filter coffee maker, and fills up a big tank for dispensing the coffee, so I got a cup, and when ask how much it was, the guy say $4.50!

Pissed, I did something very bad, I walked off without the coffee, without paying.

You can flame me if you like, but I am not going to be con by people who sell 80cents coffee for $4.50.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
no signboard with prices?

Got price for other items, but not hot drinks. I always scan for price first, but at that time, I just figured how expensive can a cup of normal coffee be.

Edit: Mind you, I am not being cheap, I don't mind spending $5 +- on a latte or espresso, but those drinks comes with a nice sofa and cosy environment for a nice chit chat.

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal

Steady lah!!! Serve them right for treating us local as suckers...

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal

Recently i went to the old Big Splash for lunch, and my bro suggest to try the Food outlet selling white coffee from Msia, which is brought in by 2 local celebrities.

The minute i take a look at the ordering form, i immediately get a bad feeling about this place, there is no pricing. There is also no visible pricing in the whole outlet.

But since we were already there, we just place our order and hope that the pricing is ok, as the place is very crowded and opened by 2 famous local celebrities.

When i pay up at the cashier, i was shocked by the bill of $49.++. 3 of the them cost $5.90 each (asam laksa, curry chicken noodle with 3 small strip of chicken, ipoh ho fun) and the curry chicken rice which i expect to be cheapest turn out to be the most expensive at $7.90. It comes with only a small drumstick, 2 mini potato and 1 plate of rice. Drinks were $2 for their famous white coffee while some of the cold drinks like lemon juice is like $3.30 for a small glass full of ice.

I don't mind if they have stated the price, but what I am surprise is that even a food outlet open by 2 famous local celebrities are doing such things.

I did "walk in with my eyes open" but i really cant find the pricing, i guess nowadays not only we have to "walk in with eyes opened", we have to keep "opening our mouths" to ask.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't mind if they have stated the price, but what I am surprise is that even a food outlet open by 2 famous local celebrities are doing such things.

I did "walk in with my eyes open" but i really cant find the pricing, i guess nowadays not only we have to "walk in with eyes opened", we have to keep "opening our mouths" to ask.

Quite true, prices are going up everywhere, and portions are shrinking every so often. I too ask for the price even if its a small plate of food.

From your description of the restaurant, they are just like the food center at the zoo, very expensive for small portions of unpalatable food.