• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Career 2009 & Education 2009 exhibition kicks off at Suntec

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1kopitiam/messages?msg=8460.6

Career 2009 & Education 2009 exhibition kicks off at Suntec
By Chew Wui Lynn, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 05 March 2009 1800 hrs

phpA3E38S.jpg

Photos 1 of 1

Artist impression of Resorts World@Sentosa

SINGAPORE: 10,000 jobs are on offer at what organisers said is the largest career and education fair in Singapore and in the region.

The Career 2009 & Education 2009 exhibition at Suntec Singapore focuses not just on jobs, but also on education and skills upgrading.

But most people whom Channel NewsAsia spoke to at the fair on Thursday were more interested in finding a job than upgrading their skills.

"I just want to look around and see what kinds of jobs are available," one said. "My interest is in the creative field, so I'll be looking at that area."

Whether you're interested in the arts and creative industry or have explored the idea of being a reporter or a TV presenter, these options are available at the all-new Arts pavilion at the Suntec fair.

The Arts pavilion also features fashion and jewellery design as one of its highlights.

Judging from the crowds, the integrated resort is coming out trumps. Resorts World Sentosa's booth was one of the most crowded at the fair.

Seah-Khoo Ee Boon, senior vice president, HR & Training, Resorts World at Sentosa, said: "From the response this morning, we have quite a lot of queries for croupier positions and theme park positions."

However, in terms of growth, recession-proof industries like education or healthcare have just as much potential.

For example, the SingHealth cluster forecasts that it will have more than 10,000 vacancies by 2012 for nurses and other health professionals, such as speech therapists and physiotherapists.

Gloria Chin, deputy director, Human Resource, National Healthcare Group, said: "Within the hospital, we do have a lot of operational jobs. For example, customer service – we need lots of such people. So even if you have customer service experience from another industry, we can actually train you to work in a hospital setting."

The exhibition is open till Sunday, March 8, between 11am and 8pm.

- CNA/so

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_346695.html

Job fair draws 120,000
Strong interest seen in positions at the two integrated resorts
By Alessa Pang

irjobs-alphchern.jpg

The IRs topped job-seekers' lists at a career fair that opened yesterday at Suntec. The Resorts World at Sentosa booth received 1,000 applications in the first 90mins. ST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN

THERE was no questioning which were the main attractions at this job fair.

Despite having more than 400 exhibitors present, many of the 120,000 visitors to the Career 2009 and Education 2009 fair yesterday made a beeline for booths set up by Resorts World and Marina Bay Sands.

The two integrated resorts, which were offering thousands of jobs, drew them all: Young and old, Singaporeans and foreigners, the retrenched and those with jobs.

Singaporean Simon Pay was among them. The 27-year-old, who has a job in the tourism industry, said: 'I see this as a growing market and I want a new job experience. So I'm just trying my luck here.'

For those like Mr Kelvin Lian, however, the situation is more dire. The 25-year-old Singaporean graduated with a business degree last September, but has been unsuccessful so far in his job hunt.

He said: 'It's a tough year ahead. I have no particular preference for job positions, as long as I can get one.'

Interest in the IR jobs was so high that the Resorts World at Sentosa booth received more than 1,000 job applications within the first 90 minutes of the fair's opening. By the end of the day, it had received over 5,000 applications.

Speaking for Marina Bay Sands, its president Nigel Roberts said: 'We were delighted with the number of people who visited us today.'

Read the full story in Friday's edition of The Straits Times.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/413897/1/.html

Some healthcare vacancies unfilled at career & education fair 2009
By Teoh Song Keng, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 08 March 2009 1748 hrs

php7pBxvK.jpg

Photos 1 of 1

Crowds at the career fair at Suntec

Video

Some healthcare vacancies unfilled at career & education fair 2009

SINGAPORE: Some 400,000 people visited the four-day Career 2009 & Education 2009 exhibition at Suntec Singapore.

The fair focused on not just jobs but also education and skills upgrading, but it was clear that the majority there were more keen on getting a job.

Each day, four to five thousand people were aiming for one of the 800 vacancies at the upcoming Resorts World Sentosa.

But while the booth was the hot favourite at the fair, other recruiters were also having large number of applicants, such as this childcare company.

HR executive from Knowledge Universe, Wirma Asad, said: "We have 30 positions open and so far we have about 100 people signing up for the programme. It doesn't matter whether they have the experience or not, as long as they have the minimum five GCE ‘O’ Levels, with a B4 in English."

But some jobs, mainly those in healthcare and social work, require specific expertise, and these organisations were finding it tough to fill the vacancies.

Thye Hua Kwan Moral Society, Agatha Tan Mui Neo, said: "So far, no social workers (had applied), I must admit that. Only one from the US applied and he's a Caucasian. For the occupational therapists, zero (application). For the nurses, we seemed to have some potential but there were only about three applications and we're offering about six positions."

The search for health professionals would no doubt carry on, as authorities expected the healthcare sector to offer more than 10,000 vacancies by 2012.

- CNA/yt