• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Campus evangelism irks students

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/Story/A1Story20090608-146787.html

Mon, Jun 08, 2009
my paper

20090608.093851_students.jpg

Campus evangelism irks students

by Daryll Nanayakara

SOME students at Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP) are seeing red over how a number of their schoolmates are trying to evangelise by approaching them in pairs on their campus in Clementi Road.

Not only did they feel it was "invasive", but some also felt it bordered on harassment.

It prompted former student Damien Raj to write to my paper, to ask whether such activities should be allowed in tertiary institutions here.

'The polytechnics are supposed to be secular organisations, so why is NP allowing these religious groups to promote their faiths on campus?' said Mr Raj, 20, who had just graduated from the polytechnic.

When contacted, a spokesman for NP said that "religious groups are advised to respect individual beliefs and be mindful of others' sensitivities".

She added that anyone found to be "preaching to fellow students will be counselled accordingly".

Three other polytechnics here - Republic, Singapore and Temasek - said they do not condone evangelism on their campuses.

Both Temasek and Republic polytechnics added that they do not recognise religious groups as co-curricular activities (CCAs), to avoid compromising "the secular nature" of the institutions.

Nanyang Polytechnic could not be reached for comment despite repeated calls. Mr Raj, who is awaiting enlistment, said he was approached more than four times during his three-year course, and added that "students and alumni" were involved in the evangelistic efforts.

Another student, Miss Gloria Chen, 19, said she had been approached earlier this year by two students who kept promoting their religion despite her disinterest.

She said: "I told them I was not interested, but they kept telling me about their religion and how it would be good for me.

"I don't think it's okay for anyone to force their beliefs on others. Religion should come to a person naturally, at one's own time and pace."

NP has more than three religious groups offering CCAs.

Mr Raj said the evangelistic activities had been happening on campus since as long ago as 2006, when he entered the polytechnic. Earlier this year, several students, working in pairs, were spotted making their rounds to evangelise to fellow students, shortly after their religious study sessions at about 8am, or before leaving for home at about 8pm.

Just last week, a lecturer from the polytechnic, who declined to be named, said she was approached.

"They came to me trying to talk about religion but left when I identified myself as a lecturer," she said.

[email protected]

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Christian fundies has been operating in Ngee Ann Poly way before 1985. Back then it was every freshmen's nightmare to be approached by these lot. They were like insurance salesman; pester until you gave up for God's sake.

Guess not much change in NAP since then.

singaporebomb

Alfrescian
Loyal
what the fuck...let's go to these stupid church and spread islam and buddhist there.see they like it or not.it's morans like these people making christianity a bad religion.they are the real sinners.:oIo:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The student should ask them if they eat meat.

If they do, then ask them why eat something that Jesus loves so much. Aren't they against Jesus by doing that?

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you do survey, you will find many students turn to christianity in the school days, when they are in their formative years,,,,,,

this the churches also know, thats why its easier to target the young,,,,,

it is also difficult to get middle age people to switch religion except thru' their kids,,,,,

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a teacher during my secondary school days who told the class that she read the Bible although she was not a Christian. The purpose for her reading the Bible was to enable her to handle the Christian Evangelists.

I tried the same method and it work so well. Does anyone know all you need is some Christian knowledge to debunk Christianity itself? The Christians are asked not to question the Bible for a good reason, it cannot withstand any test at all.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I find Christian material slipped into my mailbox, under my door, on my lorry windscreen, and I find them offensive and intrusive, demeaning to my religious beliefs, can I report them to the police?

Will the police take action and arrest them for sedition? Or will the police just act blur until the newspaper report?

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I find Christian material slipped into my mailbox, under my door, on my lorry windscreen, and I find them offensive and intrusive, demeaning to my religious beliefs, can I report them to the police?

Will the police take action and arrest them for sedition? Or will the police just act blur until the newspaper report?

I so far have not received such things in my mail box or car windsreen. I doubt that they will do that neither, it is unproductive. It is more effective to block someone and trap them there fore more than an hour.

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I so far have not received such things in my mail box or car windsreen. I doubt that they will do that neither, it is unproductive. It is more effective to block someone and trap them there fore more than an hour.

I have seen them specifically targetting only houses and cars and lorries which display taoist and buddhist items. Those which display Islamic and Christian items, they avoid. This is selectively targetting people, which is offensive and seditious.

The gahmen should come down hard on these idiots before our society starts to get pissed off and you see another riot starting with AWARE type bitch fights and maybe become the race riots. Except this time, it will be reilgion riot with Chinese, Indians and Malays fighting the Christian zealots, while the moderate Christians become innocent victims.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't think Christians have much respect for people of different faith. Even those nice friendly ones will look onto others as unrepentant sinners.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't think Christians have much respect for people of different faith. Even those nice friendly ones will look onto others as unrepentant sinners.

You can't really blame them, they think that they are saving others' souls, just like NKF staffs during TT Durai's management.

Very true ..haha

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jesus did ask his apostles to eat his body - so no contradiction with the eating of meat and Christianity.

The student should ask them if they eat meat.

If they do, then ask them why eat something that Jesus loves so much. Aren't they against Jesus by doing that?

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jesus did ask his apostles to eat his body - so no contradiction with the eating of meat and Christianity.

Eat him or eat his body? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

He did not really ask them to eat him, he ask them to take the bread as his flesh and wine to represent his blood. If they really did what you said he asked for, Easter would have come a few days earlier.:p:p:p

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal

I believe there were some serious translation error being introduced into the bible, the actual word uttered by Jesus the man himself is: "EAT ME!"

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
what i mean is that why those christian eat meat.

Since Jesus love animals and if christian eat meat, aren;t that they are eating something that Jesus love?

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe there were some serious translation error being introduced into the bible, the actual word uttered by Jesus the man himself is: "EAT ME!"

I am having some thoughts about the "EAT ME" thing from Jesus Christ. Is he a supporter of Cannibalism? If he condone his followers to eat him, then in Christian context Cannibalism is normal!!!:eek::eek::eek:

How come modern Christians not practising this? doesn't Jesus' words represents God?:confused::confused::confused: