• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Buzz allegations that Ms Singapore Universe 2009 Final Tonight may be rigged

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
taken from today's TNP...any chaps who can paste pics of Rachel Kum, Emiko Thein and April Wang would be appreciated:smile:

This year's Ms Singapore Universe is abuzz with talk of how one contestant - Rachel Kum 24 years old (TNP New face Pageant 2007 finalist) - allegedly skipped the preliminary audition rounds and compulsory activities and has been brought in midway to win the crown...

Organiser Daryl Pang was "shocked" at the rumours and denied that the event is rigged...Rachel is considered to be the front-runner by some of her fellow contestants, also popular are Emiko Thein, 20 and April Wang, 19....

said Rachel when contacted, sounding irked..."Of course I'm not happy about it. But there is nothing much I can do. If others are not happy with things, so be it"...meow, hiss:rolleyes::biggrin::p

Lentor

Alfrescian
Loyal
sometimes, they just need to spread their legs to open the world of possibilities.

ScarFace

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rachael Kum
2657_81564951920_42047356920_2184854_876878_n.jpg

Emiko Thein
2933228040102608513S500x500Q85.jpg

Iman-April
2657_81505836920_42047356920_2183921_3191030_n.jpg

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
GIRLS GET CATTY OVER HER
Organiser of beauty contest rebuts claims that event is rigged
By Jeanmarie Tan

May 10, 2009

THINGS have taken an ugly turn behind the scenes of the country's biggest beauty pageant.

UNHAPPY: Rachel Kum (above) says there's nothing much she can do about the rumours that she has been brought in to win the crown. --TNP FILE

This year's Miss Singapore Universe is abuzz with talk of how one contestant allegedly skipped the preliminary audition rounds and compulsory activities and has been brought in midway to win the crown.

The finals tonight at Shangri-La Hotel will be judged by a panel comprising the organiser, sponsors and international fashion designer Narcisa Pheres.

An e-mail received by The New Paper said the contestant's 'sudden' appearance caused unhappiness among the other contestants.

The preliminary audition was held in January.

Of more than 30 hopefuls interviewed, 16 made it to the finals.

Our source claimed that a few days later, an additional address - belonging to Rachel Kum - appeared in the cc list of an e-mail to the 16 finalists by organiser Derrol Stepenny Promotions. It appeared that it was only then that the others knew she was the 17th finalist.

The 24-year-old manager in the medical industry was a finalist in The New Paper New Face pageant in 2007.

The source claimed that Rachel was absent from a supposedly compulsory old folks' home visit on 14 Feb, as part of the pageant's community service work, as well as a dress fitting for the preview show at the Rotary Club a few days later.

The source added: 'This left (the contestants) bewildered, as it seemed that she had been allowed to skip all the preliminary activities and selections and was allowed directly into the finals.

'It seems she was only conveniently included after some 'compulsory' activities like social work at a home for the elderly.'

When contacted, Mr Daryl Pang, the business and promotions director of Derrol Stepenny Promotions, said he was 'shocked' at the rumours.

He insisted Rachel had followed the proper procedure of entry from the beginning and that he has photos of her at the grooming classes to prove it.

The number of finalists is not fixed and varies from year to year, but usually average 16. This year, the number stands at 13 after four girls quit.

Mr Pang clarified that during the auditions, the girls were divided into batches who were told to turn up at different days and times.

He may have not included Rachel in the e-mailing list earlier 'by mistake' and she wasn't the only girl who didn't make it for the events mentioned by the source.

Ridiculous

Reiterating that no special concessions were made for Rachel, Mr Pang said: 'These accusations are ridiculous and utter nonsense. I've nothing to hide and I'm telling the truth.'

Rachel is considered to be the front-runner by some of her fellow contestants and is leading the polls on NS Portal's Predict The Winner online contest. Also popular are Emiko Thein, 20, and April Wang, 19.

All three girls won various Rotary Club ambassador awards at the preview show, and were picked by a panel of judges appointed by the club.

When contacted about the controversy, Rachel sounded irked. She said: 'Of course I'm not happy about it. But there's nothing much I can do. If others are not happy with things, so be it.'

She declined to comment further.

One contestant, who has participated in a number of pageants, said: 'Some of the contestants can get quite jealous... maybe someone out there is trying to spoil her chances.

'But I wouldn't put Rachel down though.

'All this doesn't affect me that much. I just close one eye.'

According to her, one of the finalists had withdrawn from the competition because she felt the winner had been fixed.

But when contacted, this finalist claimed the primary reason she dropped out was that her university overseas attachment clashed with the finals.

Preferring to remain anonymous, she also insisted she was 'neutral' about the backstage backbiting.

Former Miss Singapore Universe Jessica Tan said: 'I certainly didn't feel like (my win in 2007) was rigged.

'There was bitching of course - people saying the media called me a hot favourite and therefore I stood a higher chance of winning - but it wasn't as vicious as this.'

Jessica felt that whether or not Rachel wears the crown tonight, it will unfortunately be a 'no-win situation' for her.

She said: 'People always remember the bad things, and this is going to be a part of her... but it'll blow over in time.

'I'd advise her to take it in her stride because once you have a profile, you'll get the good and the bad.'

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ex-New Face finalist clinches Miss S'pore Universe title
She wins despite Q & A stumble
SHE was mired in some controversy at this year's Miss Singapore Universe (MSU).
By Jeanmarie Tan

11 May 2009

SHE was mired in some controversy at this year's Miss Singapore Universe (MSU).

But Rachel Kum managed to skirt the heat and become the latest winner of the local beauty pageant held at Shangri-La Hotel's Island Ballroom last night.

She was recently accused by certain sources of allegedly skipping the preliminary audition rounds and compulsory activities. The catty talk was that she was brought in midway to win the crown.

Maybe the resentment arose because the 24-year-old manager in the medical industry and The New Paper New Face 2007 finalist had the whole package.

Besides enviable good looks, Rachel also nabbed two subsidiary awards - The Most Body Beautiful and Miss Personality.

So even though she bombed during the Q&A segment compared to the other girls in the Top 5, it didn't topple her in the judges' eyes.

Stumped

When asked by the event's emcee, radio DJ Glenn Ong, how the recent recession has affected her and if she's overcome it, Rachel appeared stumped.

The 1.7m beauty's shaky and somewhat lacklustre reply?

'The financial crisis has affected us one way or another, making people realise... the value of being prepared.

'For the most part, people in Singapore are lucky, but we should still be cautious.

'I've been penny wise and spending less, and I've learnt to limit my spending to needs rather than wants.'

Even Rachel herself was surprised that she won.

She told The New Paper backstage: 'I was really a nervous wreck and went blank on stage. You'd think I'd be able to answer the question as a former associate analyst from the finance industry, but when it was asked like that... it became tricky.

'But I was so relieved and I almost teared because I thought I had blown my chances.'

Rachel confessed she was 'very sad and pessimistic backstage' after the segment and thought the title would go to eventual first runner-up April Wang.

April, a 19-year-old undergrad, delivered a heartfelt speech about assisting the elderly when asked which charitable organisation she would like to help.

So did Rachel feel her victory was tainted by the gossip, she said: 'I was already singled out (by the other girls) after a month. Even if I win, I lose, because of all the bad publicity.

'Anyway I think it's all trivial... at least I'm expecting the worst now and I'm more wary about who I meet.'

She said The New Paper New Face contest helped boost her self-confidence and her catwalk skills.

'Getting into the Top 20 wasn't easy, so I felt very privileged.'

Said judge and president of MSU organiser Derrol Stepenny Promotions Errol Pang: 'We all collectively thought she stood out and makes a good queen, and the overall result wasn't based on just one question.

'Yes, she hesitated, but she caught on at the last part.'

He also pooh-poohed suggestions that the panel of judges - comprising sponsors and a guest fashion designer - had pre-selected her prior to the finals.

Mr Pang insisted Rachel was also the popular choice, and claimed he heard even audience members from the 300-strong crowd seated around him placing bets on Rachel to win.

'Every year, people like to poke fire at the hot favourite,' he said.

In fact, after Rachel's stumble, fellow contestant Cheryl Wee, 22, was thought to be leading the pack because of her superior crowd-pleasing performance during the Q&A.

When asked whether she would date someone who's much younger or older, the eventual second runner-up replied cheekily: 'Age is only a number. What's most important to me is his size - the bigger the better.'

She paused for dramatic effect before continuing: 'And what I'm referring to is his heart'.

The National University of Singapore undergrad is the daughter of Jean Yip and Mervin Wee of local hair and beauty chain Jean Yip Group.

They bought five tables for relatives and friends at between $200 and $500 per seat.

Cheryl received the loudest cheers from her supporters, who held up huge placards with her photo every time she strutted on stage - but even that couldn't influence the judges.

Rachel won $5,000 cash, a trophy and products and services from the sponsors.

She will represent Singapore at Miss Universe 2009, which will be held at the Atlantis Paradise Island in Nassau, Bahamas on 23 Aug.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
the thing is no one really cares about Ms Universe in Singapore. no real benefits ... so much shit for $5k and still have to do duty in the Ms Universe pageant.