• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Business Times: Property Lelong also don't want!

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
HO SAY LIAO LAH, PROPERTY PRICE COLLAPSE

more mortgagee sales to come lah. flood the market lah, woohoohoo

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,4574,303178,00.html?

Published October 29, 2008

Property auctions see few takers

Buyers waiting for prices to fall further, despite recent drop, say auctioneers

By UMA SHANKARI

PROPERTIES for auction are being left on the shelf even after vendors cut prices - as buyers hold out for further drops.

Ms Sai: 'Vendors generally are more realistic in their pricing now as property values have declined.'
198 properties were put on the block by the five main auction houses from July to September this year, according to figures from one of them, Knight Frank. But just 14 of these properties were sold during their first time on the podium.

And in October, there have been no takers at the two auctions held so far - one by Knight Frank and the other by Jones Lang LaSalle. DTZ, Colliers and CKS have yet to hold auctions this month.

The abysmal results are a far cry from 2006 and 2007, when many properties were snapped up the first time they were auctioned.

'The current market is essentially a buyer's market as sentiment is very sluggish in view of the global financial turmoil,' said Knight Frank's executive director for auctions Mary Sai.

The slowdown started early this year, auctioneers say. 'The auction market has been generally quiet since the beginning of 2008, and as such, buyers are adopting a wait-and-see attitude,' said Shaun Poh, DTZ's senior director for investment advisory services and auction.

Buyers are not biting because they are waiting for prices to fall, even though asking prices have already come down as much as 20 per cent in some cases, auctioneers say.

'Vendors generally are more realistic in their pricing now as property values have declined in the past few months in the wake of bad news on the economy, inflation and sub-prime woes,' said Ms Sai.

Mr Poh said that properties from various sectors are being put up for auction, and vendors are mostly hoping to make just a slight profit or break even.

But despite this, transaction volumes are low, although property firms are still getting enquiries.

Demand from investors is weak, but there is still some interest in value buys and properties that are well located and priced right, as investors are very price-sensitive, said Grace Ng, Colliers' deputy managing director for agency and business services.

Demand from owner-occupiers is slightly better. Colliers says that it is seeing good interest in mass-market private homes from upgraders and for landed properties such as terraced houses.

As yet, there are no fire sales, auctioneers report. But looking ahead, fire sales from owners who need to unload properties and cut losses before banks step in to foreclose are likely, said Knight Frank's Ms Sai.

There will also be more mortgagee sales as borrowers default on loan payments - if they lose their job or find themselves unable to hold multiple properties they acquired earlier at much higher prices and are now unable to rent out, she added.

Demand will come from owner occupiers, said Colliers' Ms Ng. 'As for the investors, they are likely to take advantage of the current market situation and offer prices that are below market valuation,' she said.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is because the prices are not attractive enough as yet. Can't imagine paying S$1800 to S$2500 per sq ft for a 99 years leasehold property.

Saw on the classified, places like the Sail at Marina going for this kind of prices. Singaporeans are sure very rich.

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is because the prices are not attractive enough as yet. Can't imagine paying S$1800 to S$2500 per sq ft for a 99 years leasehold property.

Saw on the classified, places like the Sail at Marina going for this kind of prices. Singaporeans are sure very rich.

Either very rich or very dumb. Not always mutually exclusive. :smile:

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
The prevailing situation is like this

Sellers still in hope mode, not realising that hope is a dangerous thing.

The stock market has lost 60% from last October, yet they think their property can sustain their values. If they have holding power, they may suffer some pain but will survive. Otherwise, the banks will give them good solid reality check. Those who bought using DPS and with property TOP soon will be under heaviest pressure. These will be the ones who will be squeezed.

Buyers must remain patient. There is no need to rush. Capital values can only fall, not rise in the next five years. Whether buying to live or buying for investment, wait at least one year. Don't go in too early and end up overpaying. You will regret when you relaise that you colud have save 30% by waiting 12 to 18 months.

As Business Times reported, now property lelong also nobody wants

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Property is a very emotional issue. It is very easy for people to get angry when they realise they are heading for a huge loss. First it is hope, then denial, then anger, then despair, then acceptance

The smart unemotional ones cut losses fast. The emotional ones have to work through the full cycle and by the time they come to their senses, the mortgagee has put up thr property for auction.

And if there is not enough to repay, they will move to bankruptcy proceedings

All these will take a while. Next 12 to 18 months, there will be more lelong.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wait. Next year when recession hit, I think can get $600 per sq ft.

No need to wait 1 year.... oredi some people very jialat & in desperate need for $$$..... was offered one unit at Maysprings at price cheaper than similar sized HDB unit but owner wanted cash deal.... i tink his accounts kenna frozen liao :biggrin: damned desperado to sell his home......

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is just another economic cycle Singapore is going through. We will soon pass it and things will pick up!

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Today newspaper's property section, Conrad Raj went to Shanghai and says Frasers bullish...... the last time he splashed Simon Cheong in his column, SC Global fell from $1.20 to below 40 cents now.... When property developers and landlords desperate to talk up market they get people like Conrad Raj to write big big story on big big page

On the same page today, at the bottom, is Patrick Liew who is the head of HSR. Also desperate to talk up market, saying crisis provides opportunities to buy. Yes but not at these levels, Mr Liew hahahah, maybe 40% lower.

Who are these jokers?

Follow the real leader - MR LIEW MUN LEONG, CEO CAPITALAND, THE BIGGEST DEVELOPER IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

When Liew Mun Leong sold his own company shares in May at $6.88, it fell to about $2.50 in recent days. And he says his company still keeping cash and not committing

This is the man. He knows what he is doing and backs it up with his own money, not empty headed developers and agents desperately trying to talk up the market

THE MORE THEY TALK UP MARKET, THE FASTER YOU NEED TO CUT LOSS

THOSE HOLDING INVESTMENT PROPERTY AND READING THIS, BETTER CUT LOSS NOW, DON'T WAIT TILL ONE YEAR LATER AND GET FORECLOSED BY BANK.

DON'T SCOLD THE MESSENGER. DOWNGRADER SAYs THIS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. THOSE WHO READ MY POSTS IN THE OLD FORUM WOULD KNOW I HAVE BEEN CALLING THE STOCK MARKET COLLAPSE LAST YEAR AND EVERYONE WAS CALLING ME A LOSER

I DON'T HATE YOU, I CARE FOR YOU, THAT'S WHY I STAY UP SO LATE TO POST ALL THESE WARNINGS

SELL ALL ASSETS NOW. THE MARKET WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO RECOVER. NO NEED TO HURRY IF YOU ARE BUYING. WHEN PROPERTIES TOP NEXT YEAR AGENTS WILL COME BEGGING FOR YOUR BUSINESS AND YOU CAN PICK AND CHOOSE

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah bro, you solid. I marked you already.

In Today newspaper's property section, Conrad Raj went to Shanghai and says Frasers bullish...... the last time he splashed Simon Cheong in his column, SC Global fell from $1.20 to below 40 cents now.... When property developers and landlords desperate to talk up market they get people like Conrad Raj to write big big story on big big page

On the same page today, at the bottom, is Patrick Liew who is the head of HSR. Also desperate to talk up market, saying crisis provides opportunities to buy. Yes but not at these levels, Mr Liew hahahah, maybe 40% lower.

Who are these jokers?

Follow the real leader - MR LIEW MUN LEONG, CEO CAPITALAND, THE BIGGEST DEVELOPER IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

When Liew Mun Leong sold his own company shares in May at $6.88, it fell to about $2.50 in recent days. And he says his company still keeping cash and not committing

This is the man. He knows what he is doing and backs it up with his own money, not empty headed developers and agents desperately trying to talk up the market

THE MORE THEY TALK UP MARKET, THE FASTER YOU NEED TO CUT LOSS

THOSE HOLDING INVESTMENT PROPERTY AND READING THIS, BETTER CUT LOSS NOW, DON'T WAIT TILL ONE YEAR LATER AND GET FORECLOSED BY BANK.

DON'T SCOLD THE MESSENGER. DOWNGRADER SAYs THIS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD. THOSE WHO READ MY POSTS IN THE OLD FORUM WOULD KNOW I HAVE BEEN CALLING THE STOCK MARKET COLLAPSE LAST YEAR AND EVERYONE WAS CALLING ME A LOSER

I DON'T HATE YOU, I CARE FOR YOU, THAT'S WHY I STAY UP SO LATE TO POST ALL THESE WARNINGS

SELL ALL ASSETS NOW. THE MARKET WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO RECOVER. NO NEED TO HURRY IF YOU ARE BUYING. WHEN PROPERTIES TOP NEXT YEAR AGENTS WILL COME BEGGING FOR YOUR BUSINESS AND YOU CAN PICK AND CHOOSE