• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Business loan scheme for low-income Singaporeans

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
By Jonathan Kwok

Low-income Singaporeans have long struggled to obtain loans to start - or even expand - a small business such as a hawker stall or a tailor's shop.

Now, a new scheme is offering competitive loans of $5,000 to $50,000 in what is believed to be the widest-ranging loan scheme ever directed at this group - who rarely have any collateral to offer.

Under the scheme, Singaporeans aged at least 18 and earning less than $30,000 a year - even the unemployed - can apply for these loans without collateral.

Interest rates will be 8 per cent per annum and above, well below the 12 per cent to 18 per cent charged for unsecured loans by banks, and the rates on credit-card debt which can go up to 24 per cent.

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_734437.html

Tonychatter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Loaning to an unemployed is a daft idea. Especially for unsecured loans. I personally will charge a monthly interest of at least 60% if a Sinkie wishes to take a loan from me. But of cos, i won't. Sinkies? Pfft!

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By Jonathan Kwok

Low-income Singaporeans have long struggled to obtain loans to start - or even expand - a small business such as a hawker stall or a tailor's shop.

Now, a new scheme is offering competitive loans of $5,000 to $50,000 in what is believed to be the widest-ranging loan scheme ever directed at this group - who rarely have any collateral to offer.

Under the scheme, Singaporeans aged at least 18 and earning less than $30,000 a year - even the unemployed - can apply for these loans without collateral.

Interest rates will be 8 per cent per annum and above, well below the 12 per cent to 18 per cent charged for unsecured loans by banks, and the rates on credit-card debt which can go up to 24 per cent.

didn't we have something like that with James...?

Looks like door open for GLCs to step in...micro loans...

actually last time got such things as a few neighbours pool their money and the one with the most urgent need will bid...cannot remember the word for it...something similar...but with risk of the guy with the money run road.

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Loaning to an unemployed is a daft idea. Especially for unsecured loans. I personally will charge a monthly interest of at least 60% if a Sinkie wishes to take a loan from me. But of cos, i won't. Sinkies? Pfft!

i will gladly give you this...since u have so nice. no nid to return.

278342288_e7f8a3667e.jpg

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"even the unemployed - can apply for these loans without collateral."

Did I read wrongly? Can get a few others to start a LML company . Loan in at 8% and loan out at LML market rate without using own money.

Huat Ah!

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
didn't we have something like that with James...?

Looks like door open for GLCs to step in...micro loans...

actually last time got such things as a few neighbours pool their money and the one with the most urgent need will bid...cannot remember the word for it...something similar...but with risk of the guy with the money run road.

The word is Tontine? Remember Gemini Chit Fund?

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
POSB, TOTE BOARD AND SE HUB LAUNCH NEW MICRO BUSINESS LOAN SCHEME TO HELP LOW INCOME SINGAPOREANS

SINGAPORE, 15 November 2011 – POSB, in collaboration with Tote Board and SE Hub Ltd, today announces a pilot programme, the MicroCredit Business Scheme (MCBS), designed to provide business loan to low income individuals. Aligned with the three organisations’ common aspiration to improve lives within the community, the Scheme is expected to help Singaporeans become more self-reliant by starting up or expanding their micro-businesses.

By engaging the support of Tote Board, SE Hub, selected Voluntary Welfare Organisations (VWOs) and Self-Help Groups (SHGs), POSB is able to apply a different set of lending criteria to the micro loan. Singaporeans who were previously unable to obtain a loan through other mainstream channels can now get an unsecured loan of $5,000 to $50,000 through the MCBS. The applicant has to be a Singapore citizen, at least 18 years old and earn less than $30,000 per annum to be eligible for the loan.

This initiative will start off with a $5 million seed funding from Tote Board. Funds collected from loan repayments will be injected back into the Scheme to help new loan applicants. The MCBS will be managed by MCBS Programme Office, which resides in SE Hub. The Scheme will be overseen by a Loan Management Committee with representatives from POSB, Tote Board, SE Hub and other private or public sectors. The committee will decide on the loan amount, disbursement and tenure based on the evaluation of the applicant’s business plan and credit information.

Koh Kar Siong, Managing Director and Head of POSB, said: “As the people’s bank, POSB serves over 4 million customers, many of whom have banked with us since they were young. The MicroCredit Business Scheme helps a segment of them to fulfill their business aspirations by providing them with access to funds and banking services that are suitable for their needs. We are pleased that Tote Board, SE Hub and the various VWOs are lending us their support in improving the lives of Singaporeans.”

As the loan administrator, POSB will provide support on the loan structuring of MCBS and facilitate the flow of the funds, including loan disbursements and repayments.

“This flexible scheme is designed to encourage discipline and self-sustenance whether it is for short term business initiatives such as selling pastries during festive periods or to fulfill a longer term business plan such as starting a retail shop”, Koh added.

As part of the application, applicants will have to provide a business plan. Once successful, applicants will attend a complimentary training programme, on the basics of business financial management such as cash flow, record keeping skills, concept of loan and saving. During the loan tenure, MCBS loan facilitation officers will help to ensure timely repayments and provide other assistance to the applicant. MCBS Programme Office will also facilitate networking sessions to encourage the sharing of experiences amongst the loan applicants.

Kuo How Nam, Chairman of the loan management committee, SE Hub, said: “In collaboration with POSB, we are delighted to see the crystallisation of the MicroCredit Business Scheme, which is envisaged to meet the objective of assisting low-income or unemployed Singaporeans with financing to start their business which would otherwise be unobtainable from traditional banking sources. We hope that MCBS will be well received and will prove to be a viable self sustaining initiative.”

The MCBS will commence on 18 November, 2011. Interested applicants can obtain the application form from any POSB branches, the MCBS Programme Office at Singapore Polytechnic or download it from the MCBS website at http://www.mcbs.com.sg from 18 November, 2011 onwards. They can also seek help from the participating VWOs or SHGs regarding the Scheme.

http://www.dbs.com/newsroom/newsrel...www.dbs.com/newsroom/&List=Lists/NewsroomList

By Jonathan Kwok

Last edited:

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
it will be good if they gave more details on how the 8% interest is charged. will they front load it like a car loan? or more like a credit card type loan with interest accumulating each month?

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
on one hand is good for promote entrepreneurship, on the other, they going to leech you on the interests.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is a certain amount of risk involved in loaning out the money. 8% may be fair, depending on how they calculate the 8%. if italy has to pay 7% to borrow from the market, charging 8% for these micro loans doesn't seem that bad.

YellowRibbon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can someone explain more to me ? Im quite interested.

If got criminal record can apply ?

Now im working with a salary of 2k, jus started 3 months ago, can apply ?

What business is eligiable ? Can get the 50k and open pub or hair salon ?

If approve, this may change my whole life.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can someone explain more to me ? Im quite interested.

If got criminal record can apply ?

Now im working with a salary of 2k, jus started 3 months ago, can apply ?

What business is eligiable ? Can get the 50k and open pub or hair salon ?

If approve, this may change my whole life.

judging from your questions, i highly doubt this will change anything in your life except for burdening you with more debt. your situation in life has nothing to do with the lack of money/capital, its your attitude that got you into this mess.

all details pertaining to the loan have already been highlighted in the posts above. everything you need to know in order to find out more about the loan is already in the post as well. instead you look for the easy way out. good luck with accumulating more debt.

if you want to turn your life around, change your attitude.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$50k start what business. Rental deposit for neighbourhood already $25k. Renovation another $10~15k. Not money left.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
judging from your questions, i highly doubt this will change anything in your life except for burdening you with more debt. your situation in life has nothing to do with the lack of money/capital, its your attitude that got you into this mess.

all details pertaining to the loan have already been highlighted in the posts above. everything you need to know in order to find out more about the loan is already in the post as well. instead you look for the easy way out. good luck with accumulating more debt.

if you want to turn your life around, change your attitude.

Come on dont be so harsh.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think it is bad idea to lend money to poor people, if they cannot pay back, they will be bankrupt which is worse than before they start to borrow the money.

if they have a good business plan, i am sure any bank will be willing to loan them money.