• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

British tourist missing in Malaysian jungle

Monde

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

British tourist missing in Malaysian jungle

AFP
June 1, 2014, 1:35 am

317792ec75909a98ea9c065a808e4c706ac83513-19oju63.jpg

Kuala Lumpur (AFP) - Malaysian police on Saturday were looking for a British man who went missing when hiking in the jungle on a popular resort island five days ago.

Gareth Huntley, 34, from London, did not return Tuesday from a waterfall trek on the island of Tioman off Malaysia's east coast.

A group of 10 policemen were combing the jungle Saturday to look for the tourist, said district police chief Johari Jahaya.

"We are still searching for him. I think he is lost in the jungle," Johari told AFP. "So far there is no sign of foul play."

Huntley had been working voluntarily at the Juara Turtle Project, a conservation and research group.

"We need real action now to find Gareth," his brother Mark said.

"Gareth's been missing now for five days and he's alone in the jungle. This was a man working out there as a wildlife volunteer -- he deserves our assistance."

He urged the British government to push the Malaysian authorities to do more to find his brother.

Huntley's mother, Janet Southwell, said: "I am extremely concerned and anxious about my son.

"I feel it is essential that the search be intensified as time is running out for Gareth."

Huntley's friends have set up a "Find Gareth Huntley" Facebook page, saying they are "extremely worried" and urging faster progress in the search.

"We need to find him ASAP and put pressure on the Malaysian authorities, as they seem to be dragging this on without urgency, action and results," they wrote on the page.

Johari said police were only informed Thursday that Huntley was missing by the owner of the chalets where he was staying, and were doing their best to find him.

The UK Foreign Office in London said it was providing consular assistance to the family and was liaising closely with the local authorities in Malaysia.

French tourist Stephanie Foray, a 30-year-old civil servant, went missing on Tioman in May 2011. Her remains were found in August that year, buried in a cave.

A Malaysian shopkeeper pleaded not guilty in May 2012 to murdering her after she refused him sex. The trial is ongoing.

However, violent crime against tourists in Malaysia is rare.

OneStepCloser

Alfrescian
Loyal

Malaysian police search jungle on Tioman island for missing British hiker

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 01 June, 2014, 5:14am
UPDATED : Sunday, 01 June, 2014, 5:14am

Agence France-Presse in Kuala Lumpur

20d028aa7370eb8b0fd4a20acf373fb2.jpg

Gareth Huntley went missing when hiking in the jungle on the island of Tioman.

Malaysian police were yesterday looking for a British man who went missing when hiking in the jungle on a popular resort island on Tuesday.

Gareth Huntley, 34, from London, did not return from a waterfall trek on the island of Tioman off Malaysia's east coast. Police were combing the jungle to look for the tourist, said district police chief Johari Jahaya.

"We are still searching for him. I think he is lost in the jungle," Johari said. "So far there is no sign of foul play."

Huntley (left) had been working as a volunteer at the Juara Turtle Project, a conservation and research group.

"We need real action now to find Gareth," his brother Mark said. "Gareth's been missing now for five days and he's alone in the jungle. This was a man working out there as a wildlife volunteer - he deserves our assistance."

He urged the British government to push the Malaysian authorities to do more to find his brother.

Huntley's mother, Janet Southwell, said: "I am extremely concerned and anxious about my son. I feel it is essential that the search be intensified, as time is running out for Gareth."

Huntley's friends have set up a "Find Gareth Huntley" Facebook page, saying they are "extremely worried" and urging faster progress in the search.

"We need to find him ASAP and put pressure on the Malaysian authorities, as they seem to be dragging this on without urgency, action and results," they wrote on the page.

Johari said police were only informed on Thursday that Huntley was missing by the owner of the chalets where he had been staying, and his officers were doing their best to find him.