• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Boyfriend insists on H1N1 test

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,207513,00.html?

Flu Watch
Boyfriend insists on H1N1 test
One person in girlfriend's karaoke group infected, but doctors at first test only two out of six friends
By Ng Wan Ching

July 12, 2009

A NIGHT out on Saturday for a group of 10 friends ended with at least four of them being tested positive for Influenza A(H1N1).

More of them may have been infected, but they'll probably never know now, as doctors had sent at least two of them home without swabbing them for the H1N1 test.

Out of the group of 10, at least six went to get themselves tested, but two were sent home without being tested.

And this has upset Mr Samuel Lee, 26. He was not part of the original group, but his girlfriend was. And she has been tested positive for H1N1.

'If not for my insistence, my girlfriend would not have been tested at all and we would never have known,' he said in an interview with The New Paper.

He had also insisted that he be tested, and he was found to be not infected.

Tan Tock Seng Hospital spokesman confirmed that both Miss Zhu and Mr Lee were tested on Tuesday and that Miss Zhu tested positive.

A Ministry of Health (MOH) spokesman, however, said that hospitals will now use their clinical discretion to selectively test patients for H1N1.

Mr Lee's case began on Saturday, 4 Jul, when his girlfriend, Miss Tesh Zhu, 22, went out with her friends.

They had dinner and then a karaoke session.

High fever

The next day, 5 Jul, a member of the group was supposed to report for work but found that he had a high fever.

He went to the doctor and was tested for H1N1. On Monday, 6 Jul, he found out he was positive.

Said Mr Lee: 'My girlfriend and I had been out to a movie on Monday night, then we went for supper where we shared a drink. It was after supper that we got the news.'

He and his girlfriend picked up three of her other girlfriends and drove them to CDC 2. Another male friend also joined them there.

'It was around midnight. But I thought we'd better be safe and get ourselves checked. The group of them were together a long time and they were sharing the microphone during karaoke,' he said.

At CDC 2, he said that the doctor swabbed only two of Miss Zhu's girlfriends. He, Miss Zhu and another girlfriend were sent home.

'They said they swabbed those two women because they were in a high risk group as they work as nurses,' said Mr Lee.

One of them is a nurse at Tan Tock Seng Hospital and the other a nurse at Gleneagles Hospital.

Miss Zhu works in a government statutory board while Mr Lee is currently unemployed.

But the next day, on Tuesday, 7 Jul, one of the nurses sent them a message saying she and the other nurse had both tested positive for H1N1.

Said Mr Lee: 'It was sometime in the morning. I immediately got in a taxi, picked up my girlfriend and went back to CDC 2 where I insisted that we be tested.'

They got there at about 10am, and were swabbed about an hour later. Both did not display any symptoms at the time.

Later that day, he found out that he was negative and his girlfriend positive.

Mr Lee added that on Wednesday morning, Cisco staff went to his girlfriend's home to drop off Tamiflu.

'The rest of her group who went to be tested on Monday and Tuesday were just sent home with regular medicine, seven days MC.'

They had minor flu symptoms.

Mr Lee and his girlfriend also alerted her employer, the restaurant the group had eaten at, the karaoke club and the restaurant where he had dinner with his girlfriend.

Said Mr Lee: 'Her employer was very pro-active. They gave her whole department a one-day home quarantine and their flu team disinfected the work premises.

'If we didn't know she was positive, all that would not have been done.'

A MOH spokesman said that hospitals have ramped up resources to focus on at-risk patients to provide them with the best chance of recovery.

Patients with mild symptoms will go home to recuperate with medical certificates (MC) and advisories on how they can take care of themselves and their families.

The spokesman also said that most cases with mild disease may not require Tamiflu.

'The doctor will decide whether the patient needs Tamiflu, on a case by case basis based on his clinical assessment,' she said.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,207512,00.html?

Flu Watch
ASK CHING

CON-FLUSED?
Send us your questions about Influenza A(H1N1) at [email protected]
We will check with the experts and authorities to get them answered.
By Ng Wan Ching

July 12, 2009

Q: For the past two days, I have been having a sore throat, runny nose and fatigue. The GP said there was no need for H1N1 testing and did not prescribe me Tamiflu. What should I do?

A: Tamiflu and Relenza are prescription-only drugs. They are currently the two anti-viral drugs that have been recommended by the World Health Organisation and health authorities worldwide for the treatment of H1N1.

These drugs should only be used when prescribed by a doctor and taken under medical supervision.

It is important to note that taking these drugs indiscriminately without medical supervision will raise the risk of viruses developing resistance and reducing the effectiveness of the drugs.

According to the Health Sciences Authority, there are also no licensed generic versions of Tamiflu and Relenza. Consumers should not buy products claiming to be 'generic' versions.

There are also no H1N1 home-test kits. Kits promoted on websites or e-mails are unlikely to provide reliable and accurate results.

Hence, the best thing to do is to listen to your doctor. Now that H1N1 is in the community, it is not possible to test everyone.

The illness caused by the current H1N1 is mild. You should stay at home, rest and avoid coming into contact with others.

Q: I am pregnant and will give birth very soon. I am worried as pregnant women are more susceptible to complications from H1N1. What can I do? Should I go for the seasonal flu vaccination?

A: You should avoid contact with people with flu-like symptoms. Keep up a healthy lifestyle and build up your immunity.

Pregnant women in their second and third trimesters are advised by doctors to go for the seasonal flu vaccination to protect themselves from currently circulating flu strains.

But it cannot protect you from H1N1. If you are unwell, see a doctor immediately.

These questions were answered with help from HSA and MOH websites.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>>Miss Zhu works in a government statutory board while Mr Lee is currently unemployed.<<<

And Miss Zhu = PRC and Mr Lee = Nsman?