• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Boss John, Time to activate your Bengali 369 Company to fight any potential issue on Sentosa Beach...Your Big Boss Need U NOW

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Two oil tankers are ablaze off Singapore, Rescue underway
Bloomberg
Fri, 19 July 2024 at 3:11 pm SGT
2-min read

FILE PHOTO: Container ships and bulk carriers offshore from Singapore, on Monday, Feb. 19, 2024. (Photo: SeongJoon Cho/Bloomberg)

FILE PHOTO: Container ships and bulk carriers offshore from Singapore, on Monday, Feb. 19, 2024. Hafnia Nile, a Singapore-flagged refined-products tanker, and Ceres I, a crude oil tanker sailing under the flag of Sao Tome & Principe, have been on fire since early Friday (19 July) morning to the east of Singapore, (Photo: SeongJoon Cho/Bloomberg) (Bloomberg)More
By Yongchang Chin

(Bloomberg) — Two oil tankers have been on fire since early Friday morning to the east of Singapore, according to a statement from the country’s Maritime and Port Authority.

Hafnia Nile, a Singapore-flagged refined-products tanker, and Ceres I, a crude oil tanker sailing under the flag of Sao Tome & Principe, are 55km (34 miles) northeast of the tiny island of Pedra Branca, at the eastern entrance to the Strait of Singapore.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
It wasn’t immediately clear what caused the fire, though the ageing Ceres I in particular underlines the environmental and human risks that come with the expansion of a so-called dark fleet of older vessels moving sanctioned crude through one of the world’s busiest waterways. Ship-to-ship transfers of oil are relatively common occurrences in the waters off the southern part of the Malaysian peninsula.

Ceres I hauled cargoes from Iran and Venezuela earlier this year and last year, according to data from market intelligence firm Kpler. It was built in 2001, meaning it’s still in use well beyond when most owners would consider scrapping a vessel and its P&I insurer is unknown, a characteristic common to almost all dark fleet ships, data compiled by Bloomberg show.

Singapore’s maritime authority has asked for help from passing craft in the search and rescue of the crews. A navy ship, the RSS Supreme, is nearby and is also providing assistance, along with a Singapore military helicopter, it said.

Dark fleet vessels have caused problems for Singapore before. A shadow-fleet oil tanker ran aground near Singapore in December, and earlier last year a ship called the Pablo exploded near Malaysia. Its burning wreckage sat for months off the country’s coastline.