• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Biz Do Horrible Night Markets Becum Ghost Mkt!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Dark days for night markets
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Many vendors quit as sales fall; trade body out to rejuvenate business </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Jermyn Chow
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_JCPASAR28.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Night markets, such as this one in Marine Parade, usually offer cheap wares, but customers are not biting. -- ST PHOTO: ALBERT SIM
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->THEY are occasionally part of the night scene in housing estates - rows of makeshift stalls by the roadside, hawking anything from burgers to gaudy bolsters and silk flowers.
But the familiar yells of 'Lelong, lelong!', meaning 'Sale, sale!' in Malay, are fading out.
These are bad times to be a pasar malam or night market vendor. Many are dropping out of the business, hit by a triple whammy of factors: competition from heartland malls, rising overheads, and the ongoing financial meltdown.
Each vendor either mans the stall himself or with the help of relatives, friends or hired hands, forming what is known in the trade as a 'family'.
The number of such families has fallen by about a third, from 1,000 in 2005 to the current 700, said Mr Alan Toh, president of the Trade Fair Merchants' Association of Singapore.
The body, which was set up in April, has about 200 pasar malam contractors and vendors as members.
Twenty vendors told The Straits Times that their takings have shrunk by as much as half in the last five months, as heartlanders tighten their belts.
Things usually go cheap at these night markets, but consumers are not biting. Most show up just 'to soak in the atmosphere', grumbled watch stall operator Leow Tuck Heng, 50.
He is often unable to sell even a single timepiece, despite setting up his stall in the mid-morning and staying open for 13 hours.
A 55-year-old veteran pasar malam vendor, who wanted to be known only as Ah Lan, said she makes just $250 a day selling belts, wallets, bags and caps.
'I don't have enough to pay my employees and for my lunch,' she said.
Customers say the problem is that the wares at a pasar malam tend towards the frivolous and are badly made. One can buy all essentials cheaply at a supermarket, said housewife Lam Siew Mei, 38.
Air-conditioned heartland malls are also pulling customers away from these stuffy and crowded street bazaars, said trade fair operator Toh Kang San.
Spiralling overheads, including stall rentals, utility bills and salaries are crimping profits as well. A 3m-by-3m stall now costs $3,000 for a two-week run, twice what it cost 10 years ago.
The association has a few ideas to rejuvenate the pasar malam.
One is to put in lower bids to organise these bazaars when grassroots groups invite contractors to hold one.
The contractor with the winning bid foots the cost of organising the fair - now at between $10,000 and $300,000 - and pays the grassroots group for the use of the space. The grassroots group uses this 'revenue' to promote community bonding activities in the estate.
If a smaller bid can clinch a contractor the right to hold a bazaar, he can charge vendors lower rents for their stall spaces.
Mr Toh is also in talks with the Manpower Ministry to get clearance for lower-cost foreign workers to be hired to run the stalls.
And vendors, too, have been urged to up their game with better offerings. Efforts to raise the hip factor in night markets appear to be working. About half the vendors are now aged below 30.
Among them is Kenyan businessman Steve Washington Ochieng, 26, who hawks camel bone necklaces and antelope horn rings from Nairobi.
'I don't earn much, but at least I create awareness of my culture by talking and interacting with Singaporeans.'
He hopes greater awareness will translate into better sales. [email protected]

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I already said in another thread that pasar malam has been dead for the last 5 years.
The greedy landlords killed it just like they are killing every business here in sinkeepore.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
[Mr Toh is also in talks with the Manpower Ministry to get clearance for lower-cost foreign workers to be hired to run the stalls]

There you see, greed shows no boundaries. You make money from sinkee stall operator and sinkee customers but do not want to repay sinkee in terms of jobs. How fuck up is that? Why don't all pasar malams move to China. Kill alot of birds with a single stone.

CENWEN

Alfrescian
Loyal
many people preferred to take up pasar malam stalls than fixed establishment sdue to high rental fees.