• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

BEST PAID Govt: Lifts @ Every Floor a Luxury, Not Necessity Woh!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Lifts at every floor a necessity, not luxury
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I READ with consternation the remark by suicide expert Chia Boon Hock that 'the Government spoils us with lifts on every floor' ('Warning: Suicide peak ahead', Wednesday).
I have lived in a resale HDB flat in Eunos Crescent for more than 20 years.
This block of flats and many in the estate do not have lifts serving every floor. We are forced to walk up at least 2-1/2 flights of stairs to reach our unit. For those living higher up, there are two additional flights to go.
This was no problem for me and most other residents when we first moved in, as we were still physically mobile.
As the years wore on, I noticed that many of my neighbours began to suffer ill health and other physical handicaps.
I watch sadly as these old and infirm or handicapped people struggle to go up the stairs.
One elderly woman had to stop at each step for a minute or two to catch her breath. Another old man, who used to play competitive badminton in his younger days, is too proud to ask for help as he grabs the handrail for support.
Another neighbour's wife had a stroke and has been bedridden for 12 years, refusing to leave her home - except for the weekly visit to the doctor - because it is too inconvenient.
I began to view the stairs as a cruel impediment.
As for myself, my late wife was stricken with cancer and in the last months of her life, I had to carry her up and down 4-1/2 flights of stairs each time we needed to visit the doctor. It was trying.
Although my block underwent a major upgrading in 2000, the HDB refused to include lifts stopping at each floor despite feedback requesting them, saying 'it is not possible'.
My point is that a lift on every floor is not a luxury and does not 'spoil' us. It is a necessity.
Dr Chia has been blessed with good health, but that does not mean the 80 per cent of people who live in HDB flats are spoilt. He mentioned that 'in Singapore, no social security system exists', so these lifts go some way towards distributing something to improve our quality of life.
I hope the HDB will do more to speed up the programme to install lifts that stop at all floors. Teng Nee Peng

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wooden Goh should be hantumed for not taking good care of his Marine Parade GRC and fine those people in charge of Marine Parade GRC for sleeping in their job since Eunos Cresent is under Marine Parade GRC. These Town Council people like Wooden only know how o talk cock sing song. How come he said he should go to Eunos Cresent to see the slum over there (in actual fact it is) Most commercial buildings have lifts on every floor even though the staff are fit and able to climb up 2 - 3 storeys. But there is quite a lot of elderly among the HDB dwellers and they need to use the lift in order to go out. What rubbish promise the government give about making Singapore more elderly and handicapped friendly when this suicide expert and Town Council staff said otherwise.

poore

Alfrescian
Loyal
the suicide expert dun understand that ppl will age or be disabled.

he thought everyone will commit suicide......

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want to have lift at every level, vote the pappies out.
Then the next election they will promise you everything and lift at every level will no longer be a luxury, instead it becomes a must.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wood Head still kena hump thumped again,,,,,,,

And to think that he dangled $80mil carrot to Potong Pasir residents to upgrade the lifts in the 2006 GE when he can't even upgrade his Eunos in 2009..... very ungracious le

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not having lifts on every floor serves at least two purposes:
  • First, there's the more obvious save money reason;
  • But this is also a way of hiding away your ageing and sick population - the more difficult it is for them to leave their homes, the likely they would do so and the less they do so the less visible they will be - your town centres will have fewer cardboard collectors or tissue paper sellers.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not having lifts on every floor serves at least two purposes:
  • First, there's the more obvious save money reason;
  • But this is also a way of hiding away your ageing and sick population - the more difficult it is for them to leave their homes, the likely they would do so and the less they do so the less visible they will be - your town centres will have fewer cardboard collectors or tissue paper sellers.

1-3.jpg

U Stop LYING! If my Familee can afford to lose $260B in 8 months with NO REGRET, what makes u think we wanna save $? Forcing the Peasants to exercise is for their own good, OK? *chey*