• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Be careful of 'false sense of security'

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/The+New+Paper/Story/A1Story20090527-144250.html

Thu, May 28, 2009
The New Paper

20090527.153337_prop_ed.jpg

Be careful of 'false sense of security'

By Ng Tze Yong

PAMPERED, with a sense of entitlement and a false sense of security.

A Member of Parliament had these tough words for Singaporeans coping with the worst recession in the country's history.

In Parliament yesterday, MP Sam Tan (Tanjong Pagar GRC) challenged the House with a simple question:

'Do the members feel that somehow, despite all the doom and gloom coming out of the US, that there is a recession in Singapore?

'Or is it, really, business as usual, with people still spending and being as cheerful as ever?'

To prove his point, he pointed out how property sales remain strong and restaurants remain packed.

'Today, as we go to some of the mid-priced restaurants like Crystal Jade and Ichiban Boshi, do we feel that there is a recession?' he asked.

'Even at MezzaNine in Hyatt Hotel, a fairly upmarket place, there remains a sizable lunch crowd on most days.

'So, what recession?'

He followed his observations with an intriguing question for the House: Is this 'buoyant optimism' our fault?

The spending is good because it boosts the economy, he clarified.

But it comes out of a 'false sense of security'.

The Government has been through so many recessions with Singaporeans that it has become 'practised' at the craft of recession-cushioning, explained Mr Tan.

'Each time the economy shows signs of slowing down, we have the NTUC and e2i coming out at the forefront to job-match, get training, reduce retrenchments,' he said.

'We have the Ministry of National Development pump-priming with infrastructure projects. We have, of course, the MCYS (Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports) and its numerous help schemes.'

While acknowledging the needs of the poor and urging the Government to continue helping the needy, Mr Tan also wondered what are the 'true impact' of the efforts.

To illustrate his point, Mr Tan used the analogy of a father teaching his son how to cycle.

'Do you line the streets with cushions so that he will not hurt himself if he loses his balance?' heasked.

Sensible approach

The common sense approach, he said, should be to let the boy take the knocks as they come.

'A boy who is mollycoddled is a very different person from the one who is physically tough and (able) to take spills without fear and whining,' said Mr Tan.

He added that recently, he has seen many residents, especially the elderly, at his Meet-The-People Sessions. They were people hesitant to visit in the past, preferring to rely on their children for help.

'(But) today, many see Government help as an entitlement, something that they should tap on as a first port of call, rather than a last resort,' he said.

The Government, he said, has managed its finances prudently, but the same cannot be said of the people.

'Have we, as sons and daughters, as responsible parents, steered clear of excesses?' he asked.

'Have we worked hard, saved enough and accumulated reserves for a rainy day? Have we taken care of our parents, our families, and become self-reliant so that in a financial crisis, we do not ask for handouts?'

Singaporeans, he warns, are losing their traditional family values.

Mr Manu Bhaskaran, an adjunct senior research fellow at the Institute of Policy Studies (IPS), said that Singapore's 'dualistic economy' means average Singaporeans have been shielded from the recession's worst - so far.

'It is foreign companies, expats and foreign workers who are taking the brunt of the pain, not locals,' he said.

He warned, however, that a delayed response in the months ahead will spread the pain to the average Singaporean.

Mr Lee Yoong Yoong, a research fellow at IPS, felt that Mr Tan was only referring to a certain segment of society.

He pointed out a recent survey conducted by the IPS, which showed that 80 per cent of the respondents would take personal initiatives such as tapping their savings and turning to family and friends, rather than look to the Government for help in the recession.

'Perhaps... Singaporeans have become more mature with each and every crisis they have gone through,' said Mr Lee.

Echoing this, Mr Bhaskaran said that Singaporeans have gotten used to the Government's intervention in their lives.

'But Singaporeans are a mature and practical lot,' he said. 'If they have to fend for themselves, they can and they will.

'I wouldn't say that they behave like immature children.'

This article was first published in The New Paper.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+News/Asian+Opinions/Story/A1Story20090527-144260.html

Thu, May 28, 2009
The New Paper

20090527.160230_nannystate_ed.jpg

From nanny state to mummy state

By Ng Tze Yong

WHEN Lehman Brothers collapsed last September, I braced myself for the end of the world.

It was my first recession as a working adult. Seeing the scared bankers scared the living daylights out of me.

But eight months on, what a surprise the recession has turned out to be.

The Great Depression I was expecting became more a Great Singapore Sale at times.

Instead of tightening my belt, I found myself salivating every Saturday morning, flipping through newspaper advertisements that offered condos, cars, furniture and electronic gizmos at dirt-cheap prices.

Friends moaned about stock market losses but, in the same breath, talked dreamily about upgrading to condos.

Even my financial planner, who went MIA for a while, is back, cooing sweet nothings.

Much of this is, of course, due to the Government's swift response to the crisis.

When bad times beckoned, we went swiftly from Nanny State to Mummy State.

Unlike a nanny, who simply keeps an eye on you, manages with a light touch and can't be bothered as long as you stay clear of trouble, the Government pulled out all stops this time. It dipped into the reserves for the first time and played mother hen to fend off employers eager to hand out pink slips.

The unintended result is complacent Singaporeans who ogle condos and cars or, as Mr Sam Tan pointed out, continue to pack fancy restaurants.

But what else is a mummy to do?

What comes naturally

In a crisis, it is only natural that people become more demanding, and the Government more protective.

And you can't blame the people.

Nobody thinks of self- improvement in a time of crisis, especially with many helping hands within reach.

To be sure, it is a happy dilemma. Many of the governments in trouble today would love to be in the Singapore Government's shoes.

But it is also a potentially tricky situation to be in.

For can you afford to give less to a people who have come to expect everything?

You could try tough love, as Mr Tan pointed out. Be a tough dad who lets his kid fall off the bicycle.

That analogy, however, cannot be applied to the political sphere.

Dads and sons cannot be compared to governments and electorates, because sons can't vote dads out.

This article was first published in The New Paper.