• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Balanced governance model

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_406704.html

By Aaron Low

In-SG-LEE.jpg

What would not work, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong stressed, is to simply rely on the simplistic approach that 'if you develop, you will need democracy. --ST PHOTO: AZIZ HUSSIN

SINGAPORE'S model of governance is one that tries to achieve a balance between delivering quality leadership and giving people the opportunity to voice their dissatisfaction with Government policies, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

It is a system that has worked well and one that has not let the people of Singapore down, he told a German newspaper.

'How do you keep a system which delivers an outstanding quality of leadership and government, and yet at the same time, have free play and the opportunity for people to say, 'I want this government, but I do not like this policy or the other'?'

The ideal system, he said, balances both. It delivers a good government, while providing for aspirations to be fulfilled and voices - the full range of them - to be articulated.

'This is the ideal,' he said in an interview published in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung on July 14.

The newspaper wanted to know if Singapore would become 'even more democratic' in future, as it had recently relaxed its rules on public assemblies and was introducing changes to the political system to enable more opposition voices in Parliament.

In his reply, Mr Lee said Singapore, like other countries, is feeling its way forward in establishing a system that works best for it.

What would not work, he stressed, is to simply rely on the simplistic approach that 'if you develop, you will need democracy.'

Singapore did not believe in the Western liberal democratic model which developed in the last half-century as 'the pinnacle of human achievement and the solution for the whole of the world', he said.

He cited the case of Indonesia and how in 1997, the International Monetary Fund wanted to change the system of governance there.

Read the full report in Thursday's edition of The Straits Times.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
[The newspaper wanted to know if Singapore would become 'even more democratic' in future, as it had recently relaxed its rules on public assemblies and was introducing changes to the political system to enable more opposition voices in Parliament.]

Seriously, what is he talking about?

They just changed the rule and consider 1 man protesting as illegal assembly?

paper tiger NMP considered as more opposition voices? Huh?

Talking thru his Pinky Ass again? LOL...

does he really know what he is saying? does he knows he's the PM or not? LOL...

jim007jimmyboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_406704.html

By Aaron Low

Singapore did not believe in the Western liberal democratic model which developed in the last half-century as 'the pinnacle of human achievement and the solution for the whole of the world', he said.

Read the full report in Thursday's edition of The Straits Times.

chao cheebye he mean old man, him and famiLEE do not believe in democracy! Dont wayang that we sinkies want it......fucking fork tongue snake

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE'S model of governance is one that tries to achieve a balance between delivering quality leadership and giving people the opportunity to voice their dissatisfaction with Government policies, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

Why would I want to voice my dissatisfaction with government policies if I do not want it to be changed or abolished? And if I do, what is the channel? None.

I am not a stubborn person and can accept that my own opinion may not be for the greater good, but not even one in the entire PAP conglomerate is not lazy enough to explain to me why they have this certain policy and that certain policy.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err, how can it be deemed that a system that has only been in place for 40 odd years (going thru many constitutional/electoral changes along the way) has worked well? Worked well for who?

If it is indeed as he said, then North Korea's system has also worked well as I am sure Kim Jong Il will say. So will Stalin, Mao and many other dictators say about their systems if they are still alive.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
At least this statement is true

What would not work, he stressed, is to simply rely on the simplistic approach that 'if you develop, you will need democracy.'

Western Liberals and idiots like Chee wants a 1 size fits all model that seem to work in the west so should also work in Asia. Most countries have so far proven otherwise in many parts of Asia so far.

What we need is a system that we create that will work here. Whether its the current system or something else that we create in the future, that is still to be decided. However what is certain is that a 1 size fits all model does not work all the time due to the vast cultural differences between the East and the West

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should one person determine if a democratic model is suitable for Singapore?

If Singapore doesn't believe in democratic model, why relaxation on public assembly and introduction of more nmp?

And who will speak out for 33.3% of the electorial voters?

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
What we need is a system that we create that will work here. Whether its the current system or something else that we create in the future, that is still to be decided. However what is certain is that a 1 size fits all model does not work all the time due to the vast cultural differences between the East and the West

While I don't disagree with you totally, I am still trying to figure out what kind of cultural differences are there that would affect the model so critically. Rather than culture, I would say it has more to do with not being open-minded, having a history of oppression and the lack of a sizeable middle class.